Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foot swolen after intensive 2 weeks - anyone suffered the same problem?

Forum for kitesurfers
vela99
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''
Brand Affiliation: None

Foot swolen after intensive 2 weeks - anyone suffered the same problem?

Postby vela99 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi,

I have kited quite intensively for 15 days in waves and the upper side of my left foot is quite swolen and the tendons hurt. Most days were very windy with a lot of chop, also on the wave.

The wind was blowing from the right meaning I was riding with my left foot forward and 90 % of the time front side. I use footstraps and did very little jumping.

Has anyone had the same experience before or is this strange?
This has never happened to me before. No animal stung me, no accident I can recall.

Thanks.
Last edited by vela99 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Foot swolen after intensive 2 week - anyone suffered the same problem?

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:51 pm

off with teh staps for a while and see, you can even ride a twin tip strapless - just take the pads and straps off and wax up the deck - works no problem!

vela99
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''

Postby vela99 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:08 pm

Thanks longwhitecloud.

For now I will have no choice but rest from kiting for some days after the abuse. While on vacation I widened the straps to avoid contact as much as possible. The cold water did the rest to make it bearable.

Unless forced to I do not really want to go back to strapless. Spots I surf in are quite windy and choppy, also on the wave face.

Anyone had the same painful experience?

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:09 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:51 pm
off with teh staps for a while and see, you can even ride a twin tip strapless - just take the pads and straps off and wax up the deck - works no problem!
Yeah strapless is a good idea, but deck pads can give you a little bit more cushion. Shape of the board might be a bit of a problem to as it could be just the wrong shape / size for the chop you're going over. A different shape the bottom, especially losing the concave and going for a flat bottom or a slight V, can really make a difference too. You probably can't really speed up, so maybe try slowing down a bit, as a different speed can reduce the chance of bouncing at a very bad frequency, which can amplify the impact. And strapless really helps you slow down and focus more on limiting the kite and speed so that you don't fall off.

Just remember that strapless in shallow choppy water can be a bigger problem for your ankles and feet, so stick to deep enough water that you won't be making a problem worse.

And yes, give me enough days in a row blasting through chop trying to go fast to make it to the next wave, and my feet/ankles which are already beat up from landboarding, start giving me a fit.

unclebill
Medium Poster
Gear: mixed

Re: Foot swolen after intensive 2 weeks - anyone suffered the same problem?

Postby unclebill » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:48 pm

The symptoms are pretty much like those of a mild ankle sprain. I would treat it and rehab it that way. Or get a medical opinion to be sure.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:42 pm

You could try moving the strap locations if your board has multiple inserts to see if that helps.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:07 pm

Might be worth a quick trip to a doctor for a diagnosis and treatment plan.

Maybe try taking Advil for pain and inflammation. Use frozen reusable gel packs, keep elevated, rest it, and maybe use one of those braces from the pharmacy for planters fasciitis to keep your foot from dropping at night, also stretching the calf, depending how it feels and stop if painful. You probably already knew all of this stuff.

It reminds me of an injury I had to top of my foot from a martial arts class where I stretched my foot back or down - hurt like the devil, limped when walking, but went away on it’s own.

Good luck with the injury and healing up.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:30 pm

You might try different straps. I had a problem a couple of years ago and found the edge of the strap was aggravating my foot. Changing straps helped a lot.

You might pay more attention to how your feet contact the straps. You might be able to adjust how you weight and place your feet.

I really like soft dual density pads, easier on my knees.

Sometimes you get stuck riding without switching feet for long periods, you might try shorter tracks and more foot switches and movement. Get that blood moving.

Oh and sometimes when you get a small injury sprain or bruise you favor it and don’t move it as much which makes it worse. So maybe walking, biking, stretching in the jacuzzi might help.

Good luck!

ieism
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby ieism » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 pm

Sounds like Extensor tendonitis. I've had that after running long distance with laces too tight. It needs some rest, if ice feels good thats OK to do but it won't heal it. Advil wil only slow the healing long-term. If you can walk pain free that is the best thing to do, along with gentle massage to stimulate blood flow.

Get new straps for your next trip.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:59 pm

Do Ya wanna borrow one of my feet ; we got Left or Right
in SS or Carbon !! :lol:

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”