Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How does the SS RPM stack up against more boost-oriented kites?

Forum for kitesurfers
youC?
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 175
Favorite Beaches: HR
Style: Freestyle
Gear: SS RPM, SS Rally, CrazyFly Raptor, Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

How does the SS RPM stack up against more boost-oriented kites?

Postby youC? » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:28 pm

Hi,

The newer versions of the RPM are marketed more as a freeride/big air/looping kite than previous iterations. I've always liked how the RPM handles in general but felt that the big air capabilities were lacking. I've searched around on the forum but havent really found a great answer to how the new RPM stacks up against more traditional boost kites (or the raptor for that matter). I would like to know if someone has ridden the new RPM and can compare it to the pivot/rebel/elev8 xs or rs in terms of vertical capability and hang time.

Best regards,
John
These users thanked the author youC? for the post:
Black_Cat (Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

RidingRobi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Baltic Sea
Style: Wakestyle, Wave, Foil
Gear: PLKB

Re: How does the SS RPM stack up against more boost-oriented kites?

Postby RidingRobi » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:35 pm

I Would be interested in the responses as well!
Also if the bridle change in 2k19 was really that noticeable.

Best

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:47 pm

You need to repost and ask how the old RPM compares to the new RPM. I know all about the old RPMs and a lot of the new kites but never got a chance to demo the new bridle on the RPM.

youC?
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 175
Favorite Beaches: HR
Style: Freestyle
Gear: SS RPM, SS Rally, CrazyFly Raptor, Lieuwe Shotgun
Has thanked: 0

Postby youC? » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:41 am

edt wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:47 pm
You need to repost and ask how the old RPM compares to the new RPM. I know all about the old RPMs and a lot of the new kites but never got a chance to demo the new bridle on the RPM.
I would if I was interested in an answer to that ;)

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:20 pm

My 2019 rpm 12 mtr jumps a little better than my previous 12 mtr,2014 ,2017.I noticed a bigger difference back when they got rid of the pulleys and went bungee,more raw power(2015?) . One of the issues with the rpm was that it could jump quite well,it just needed a rider that got the timing down. Not like those kites where you just edge into jump and pull the bar in. 2019 seemed to float better,heli loops where good. The downloop turning (is there any other way!) was smooth and pulled very well.If you got in trouble through a hard turn and ended up with slack lines the kite it drifted pretty good till you got some line tension back.12's arent mad mega looping kites but that doesnt stop me,it looped better than my 2017,seemed closer to the 10 in that respect.I'm satified with the new incarnation. I have 2020 8 and 10 mtr.Havent flown the 8 but I know that size will be stellar.Thats 25 plus winds and my old 8 was a looping beast.The 10 mtr is seems like the power is smoother. My 2017 10 mtr was a beast powered up.The 2020 has a nice feel,hard to explain. You can have it at 9 or 10 oclock and downloop it through turns and it will very rarely hit the water. Does it have more lowend,tough call,my weight is up a bit,does it go up wind better? ,again not sure.Don't really care. I have no idea how it compares with other kites. If I was into big air I would probably go with another kite. The looping is good,I see guys looping other kites and its a joke,they pull off the loop and end up 20 feet downwind ! I want a kites that yanks hard in real world conditions.Just my early morning ramblings !

Return to “Kitesurfing”