Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

what are the chances to learn kitesurfing with slingshot fuel kites?

Forum for kitesurfers
gollum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85 kg
Style: absolute beginner style
Gear: i'm wondering if i should try learning with slingshot fuel 6, 9 and 13 and a RPM 9. and i will get myself a board at least 145 cm long
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

what are the chances to learn kitesurfing with slingshot fuel kites?

Postby gollum » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:43 pm

hi everybody.

i have three slingshot fuel kites (6, 9 and 13) and a slingshot RPM 9 and i am wondering how my chances are, to learn kitesurfing with them.

i did two kitesurf courses some time ago. one was around 2009 and then another one around 2015. then i tried one day in egypt and one in the baltic see last year. i was able to ride in both directions (with beginners gear!) and i think i even managed to turn both ways. i'm also not too bad in wakeboarding.
some (lets say it was three) years ago, a friend sold me his kites and all the stuff (besides a board) for more or less no money so i didnt really check what they were. when i wanted to use them last year, another friend told me that they were quite the opposite to beginners kites and gave me his for that day.
now i will go to a supposedly nice beginners spot for one week to finally get going. i wonder if it makes sense to try with these kites first or if it will be a waste of time because it is just not possible for a beginner to get along with these kites. (i know that i could just try and that some people might succed, but what about the average guy?)if you tell me that there only is a small chance to succeed, instead of renting the gear again, i would buy a 'normal' kite instead beforehand. but i try to avoid that.

what do you think / recommend?

i also dont have a board yet but i will see that i will get a long and wide beginners board at least 145 cm long.

thank you very much!
cheers
gollum

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Re: what are the chances to learn kitesurfing with slingshot fuel kites?

Postby grigorib » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Fuels are not beginner friendly, relaunch would suck. The RPM would be easier to learn on. With a lot of persistence you will learn on anything but to have fun you should look for newer models.
Choose board for your weight, yet the simplest to learn is on a door board (if you plan to have more than one board and plan to ride light wind).
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
gollum (Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:30 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

cor
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:25 pm

If you can get rid of the fuels and replace them with RPMs (or any beginner friendly kite), you should do it because you will do that anyway sooner or later. I doubt that you will stick with the fuels because they are mainly meant for freestyle and wakestyle. So there is actually no reason to wait.

But don´t worry too much. You will also succeed with the fuels if you don´t replace them now. They will probably slow your progression a bit as they(or any C shape) are a bit less forgiving. For now you will anyway just ride in both directions and maybe trying your first hops on the water and in my opinion it doesn´t matter too much what kite to use in this stage of your progression.

Always remember: 90% the rider, 10% kite. You can´t buy skill. Time on the water is the most valuable currency in kiteboarding.
These users thanked the author cor for the post:
gollum (Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:31 pm)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:34 pm

You can learn on fuels it just takes longer. so instead of taking 1 day to learn how to relaunch your kite it will take 1 week. Instead of 1 week to learn how to boost it might take 3 weeks. Etc. Keep them and come back to the fuels in 3 years when you have mastered the basics or sell them so you can buy a better quiver. I love fuels by the way but it takes way too long to go upwind on them.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
gollum (Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:38 pm)

dice
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:40 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:34 pm
You can learn on fuels it just takes longer. so instead of taking 1 day to learn how to relaunch your kite it will take 1 week. Instead of 1 week to learn how to boost it might take 3 weeks. Etc. Keep them and come back to the fuels in 3 years when you have mastered the basics or sell them so you can buy a better quiver. I love fuels by the way but it takes way too long to go upwind on them.
A week instead of a day? Way over exaggerated lol :lol:

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:59 pm

Use the 6m Fuel as a trainer on the beach when you have plenty of space in 12-14 knots of wind. Start with a competent assistant but eventually get somebody to show you how to do tethered and 5th line launching. (Not sure how well a small fuel would sit on a tether in light wind). Practice flying patterns and get to grips with tuning and backstall. Practice letting go of the bar and releasing etc Even self landing a small fuel in light wind should soon be possible.

PS while you at it you may as well learn to unhook and do old school sanded tip launches hooked and unhooked. Adding a land board would be good if you are so inclined, in some ways safer to learn land board basic turning unhooked, and fuels are very good for this. If it hasn’t got a 5th rig one to the pump leash attachment to use as a tripping line. ( Keep the flagging as is!)
Last edited by Herman on Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:04 pm

You can easily learn with the fuels, doesn't take much longer as you got the basics nailed.

Be sure to use them in their sweetspot, as less range, at least when learning.

And just know, relaunch might be more difficult.

8) Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:11 pm

dice wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:40 pm

A week instead of a day? Way over exaggerated lol :lol:
Tell me how you water launch those old fuels that don't reverse relaunch.

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:35 pm

The 5 line models (i think about 2005 and later) could relaunch by pulling the 5th line to get the kite to roll onto its back, then let the kite move to the edge of the window and steer it up.

Without the 5th line, you have to slack center lines to get the kite to roll onto its back. This means swimming towards the kite, or pulling in a bit and then releasing the center lines.

In light winds, you might need to do both.

The fuels were great kites and i spent a fair amount of time on some of them a long time ago.

A bit harder to relaunch, and much less depower than most of the modern sle kites, but with the adjusable 5th line they came pretty close in terms of ease of use.

Lots of power in the turns... lots of power all the time. Maybe rig a size smaller that what you see guys your weight riding at your local spot, especially if you are riding a larger board than they are.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:01 pm

That's right. "Swimming". A lot of swimming.

Return to “Kitesurfing”