Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

what are the chances to learn kitesurfing with slingshot fuel kites?

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: what are the chances to learn kitesurfing with slingshot fuel kites?

Postby Herman » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:20 am

^ That does not change much about what I have said regarding C kites.

A 10m rpm would be close enough to optimum at your weight for your water training. My guess (I don’t ride SS) is, you would be learning to body drag and water start in 15-17knots but struggling to go upwind. Once you have the skills to cope with 17-20knts you will be able to hold ground and really develop riding skills.

Even if you have developed good landboarding skills, you will still have to train the brain not to light up and say “tilt” when you hook into real power. But once you have done that the skills are basically the same.

Whatever path you choose have fun, stay safe and good luck. Regards Herman
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
gollum (Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:50 am)
Rating: 3.03%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:13 pm

gollum wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:25 am
PullStrings wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:19 am
RedSky wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:06 am
A 6m fuel, that's cute. :)
I said cuter than a 5 or 7 ? :wink:
And here is the joke explained !!
A 6m Fuel size does not exist
Here
http://www.kitehigh.nl/gear/Kites/Slingshot/Fuel/2007
To be honest (even though its a bit embarrassing) I misread the slingshot logo for a 6 🙈. So the Fuels are 7 (not 6) and the RPM is a 10 (neither a 9 nor a 6).
Seems like it's time to schedule your eye exam :wink:

gollum
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85 kg
Style: absolute beginner style
Gear: i'm wondering if i should try learning with slingshot fuel 6, 9 and 13 and a RPM 9. and i will get myself a board at least 145 cm long
Been thanked: 0

Postby gollum » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:16 pm

😝

gollum
Rare Poster
Gear: i'm wondering if i should try learning with slingshot fuel 6, 9 and 13 and a RPM 9. and i will get myself a board at least 145 cm long

Postby gollum » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:17 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:13 pm
gollum wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:25 am
PullStrings wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:19 am

I said cuter than a 5 or 7 ? :wink:
And here is the joke explained !!
A 6m Fuel size does not exist
Here
http://www.kitehigh.nl/gear/Kites/Slingshot/Fuel/2007
To be honest (even though its a bit embarrassing) I misread the slingshot logo for a 6 🙈. So the Fuels are 7 (not 6) and the RPM is a 10 (neither a 9 nor a 6).
Seems like it's time to schedule your eye exam :wink:
Thank you anyway

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:48 pm

You are welcome
In 2005 I was riding all Fuels
Sizes 5-7-9-11-13-15

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Has thanked: 0

Postby sflinux » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:04 pm

C-kites are fine as long as you understand them. The power is always on, with more power generated by input to the bar (always be mindful of what input you are giving to the bar. Sheeting out, only slows the input to the kite. I ride c-kites and rig them for the gusts.
You have a 10M RPM, I would start with this kite. When you are underpowered on that kite, the Fuel 13 should be fine, but you may want to practice with the 9M Fuel first. Don't use the 7M Fuel when you are overpowered on your RPM, instead practice with it when you are comfortably powered on the 10M RPM (Powerwise: 10M RPM with twin tip = Fuel 7 with surfboard). With c-kites, know your safety, when things gets sketchy, let go of the bar. Not a bad idea to launch c-kites unhooked, and just let go of the bar if the launch goes sour.
Practice water relaunch and self rescue in shallow water. Wear a helmet and a pfd.
I had both RPMs and Fuels and kept the Fuels, sold the RPMs.
These users thanked the author sflinux for the post:
gollum (Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

gollum
Rare Poster

Postby gollum » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:28 pm

hi all.
i just found my old thread and wanted to give a little feedback.
as you proposed i had fun with the rpm (10).
anyway i figured something odd: i was practising a little with the rpm without the board just to get used to it again. then i tried to get on my board and it didnt work. i then switched to the fuel (13) and tried a litlle without the board first. (yes it was way harder to relaunch. but it did work thanks to your advice). when i tried to get on my board it didnt work neither. i dont remember why, but i tried the rpm (10) again, because it was still set up. i took the board and went straight away. from that point on, i managed to ride all the time (i always had to walk back, but at least i was able to ride both directions).

its probably a beginners thing but i wonder if i can make it with less wind if i get better with the fuel. i think somebody already said it, but will an experienced rider be able to get along with less wind with the fuel (13) than with the rpm (10)??

ps. actually, i was lucky (a little proud and very happy) when i managed to even get a little upwind the next day. at least i didnt have to walk back upwind a lot anymore...

cheers
nico

gollum
Rare Poster

Postby gollum » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:31 pm

sflinux wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:04 pm
C-kites are fine as long as you understand them. The power is always on, with more power generated by input to the bar (always be mindful of what input you are giving to the bar. Sheeting out, only slows the input to the kite. I ride c-kites and rig them for the gusts.
You have a 10M RPM, I would start with this kite. When you are underpowered on that kite, the Fuel 13 should be fine, but you may want to practice with the 9M Fuel first. Don't use the 7M Fuel when you are overpowered on your RPM, instead practice with it when you are comfortably powered on the 10M RPM (Powerwise: 10M RPM with twin tip = Fuel 7 with surfboard). With c-kites, know your safety, when things gets sketchy, let go of the bar. Not a bad idea to launch c-kites unhooked, and just let go of the bar if the launch goes sour.
Practice water relaunch and self rescue in shallow water. Wear a helmet and a pfd.
I had both RPMs and Fuels and kept the Fuels, sold the RPMs.
haha. it was just the previous post (this one) that told me that it should be possible to get along with the fuel(13) if the rpm (10) is underpowered...

Return to “Kitesurfing”