Local Beach: Ocean City MD
Favorite Beaches: Ocean City MD
Style: NA
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Total Newb

Postby pdiii » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:01 pm

Alright.. here goes nothing.. I live in Maryland/ USA and I recently watched a guy kitesurf in Ocean City. I am going to purchase equipment shortly.. Couple of questions -

1- is there some upper limit with wind where you could get pulled up in to the sky and blown away?
2- if you crash in the water, can relaunch the kite in the water or do you need to swim to shore and relaunch there
3- should I go for a large kite first - I am thinking maybe a 17? or should I target something smaller. I am 225 pounds..
These users thanked the author pdiii for the post:
Matteo V (Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:13 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

Exal
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Re: Total Newb

Postby Exal » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:10 pm

If you have no buddies that know the sport then you need to find a school and get some lessons before buying that gear. It is hard to get lifted up in the sky but very easy to mess up, fly over land and into obstacles, with your head. (Without proper instructions)

madworld
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Do not buy anything, take professional lessons, then you will be safe and know what to buy.

appelton
Rare Poster
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Belmont Shore / CA
Gear: Still looking for gear.

Postby appelton » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:22 pm

Don't make the mistake of buying gear before having your first lessons. Go learn to the point where you feel comfortable with your kite and then buy gear.

rileyjamesb
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Martha's Vineyard
Gear: None yet
Been thanked: 0

Postby rileyjamesb » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:34 pm

pdiii wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:01 pm
Alright.. here goes nothing.. I live in Maryland/ USA and I recently watched a guy kitesurf in Ocean City. I am going to purchase equipment shortly.. Couple of questions -

1- is there some upper limit with wind where you could get pulled up in to the sky and blown away?
2- if you crash in the water, can relaunch the kite in the water or do you need to swim to shore and relaunch there
3- should I go for a large kite first - I am thinking maybe a 17? or should I target something smaller. I am 225 pounds..
1) I don’t think you would get lifted up into the sky. What I saw once was worse... In a thirty knot wind, a kite suddenly filled and dragged a kiter horizontally across the rocky beach at warp speed until it finally hit some bushes. The kiter looked dazed and a bunch of people ran up to him. I didn’t stick around to see what injuries he might have had, but it looked bad.
2) You can relaunch; by the time you know how to kiteboard, you will be able to do it at will, unless the wind is light.
3) Your instructor can help you out with kite sizes; there are also on-line quiver calculators like riggeek.com. Be aware that larger kites can have larger disasters. If you’re like me, you’ll probably be practicing in winds that are a little too light at first. In light air, the wind can be fickle and the kite will do crazy things — sometimes it will “Hindenburg” and fall out of the sky. Sometimes it will invert — an ugly twist that you won’t initially know how to fix. Eventually you learn how to avoid these events, but you won’t know at first.

I started with a 12 and a 9 meter, but I’m only 165 lbs. Where I live, I use the 12 meter the most. I’m not sure what that would translate to for you. My instructor told me to get the 12 and the 9, and later on, get a 7. That’s a pretty standard recommendation for people of my size. He counseled against getting anything larger than a 12, recommending a surfboard instead. Another instructor told me to get the 15, and I followed his advice, finding the 15 meter to be awesome.

Hope that helps. Have fun researching it.
Last edited by rileyjamesb on Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

happytrees
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 80
Gear: custom

Postby happytrees » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:58 pm

Hello.I agree with all :D

randykato
Very Frequent Poster

Postby randykato » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:57 am

Yeah, don't invest until you have had some lessons and know a bit more...plus, your coaches will be able to advise you what gear you need for your location/conditions/level.

As for your questions... 1) of course there are wind speeds that will do this, but that's where the lessons come in. You'll learn about the wind window / power zone and how to control your kite. We usually use a fraction of the kite's power (at the edges of the window), but if you don't have good control and accidentally send the kite deep into the power zone you'll pay the price. It's also a matter of being aware of the conditions - weather can change in an instant - knowing what to look for can allow you to spot a rogue gust or storm headed your way so you can land the kite or otherwise prepare. 2) Water relaunch is very possible - though it is much easier/harder depending on the type of kite. This is where lessons and professional advice will help you immensely. 3) See above.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:49 am

Darn good advice from everyone on this thread. I got nuthin'. :o

OP, thanks to you for asking your questions here. Better to get all this good feedback than plow ahead on your own and get hurt. Keep moving forward; it's an awesome sport! :thumb:

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:43 am

pdiii wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:01 pm

My best guess is 60 knots gust :wink:

bryantcook
Rare Poster
Gear: switch kites, cab TT

Postby bryantcook » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 am

This is not a sport where an athletic, capable guy with big balls can just learn on his own. Almost all of us took lessons. Those that didn’t either got badly injured, injured someone else, or took an extra long time to learn (and got Very lucky not getting hurt).

Buy a small trainer kite, learn to fly that, and then take a 1:1 lesson or two that covers all the basics and safety.

Return to “Kitesurfing”