knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Total Newb

Postby knotwindy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:20 am

Just going to repeat what everyone has said. Get lessons first.
THere are not that many things that can go wrong but when they do, they go wrong fast & big and you probably won’t have time to figure out what to do. You need to already know and have practiced some.
And you size doesn’t matter that much as a safety issues as a novice. I had a 235# friend say “with my weight I’ll be fine” just before he got dragged headfirst between two parked cars. Got lucky and didn’t hit either one. BUT it was pure luck, don’t be him.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Local Beach: Reservoirs in Colorado, U.S.
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, CrazyFly, Ozone, Volkl, Gath, and SeaSpecs.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:31 am

Yes, to be safe you have to take lessons, also you can watch some videos at: https://www.youtube.com/c/KitesurfCo/featured

Welcome to the sport!

fluidity
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Late model Switch kites element and nitros,
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Now focussing on Wingsurfing to rise to a new challenge. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints, built a CNC machine last year and now cutting designs with CNC as well as 3D printing.

Postby fluidity » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:52 am

bryantcook wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 am
This is not a sport where an athletic, capable guy with big balls can just learn on his own. Almost all of us took lessons. Those that didn’t either got badly injured, injured someone else, or took an extra long time to learn (and got Very lucky not getting hurt).

Buy a small trainer kite, learn to fly that, and then take a 1:1 lesson or two that covers all the basics and safety.
People are going to tell me off but I'm in that last category. I used the rationale that those who first learned the sport did it on bad kites and with no teachers. That's indisputable.

HOWEVER... I watched a lot of youtube of kite fails to get a sense of the danger. I roped my chickenloop back to a very stable hitch point that I knew could withstand 500kg+ force from any direction. I watched a lot of people setting up kites, launching and landing over about a month and a half before I tried myself.

My earliest on-shore attempt was in a gusty area that in retrospect I should never have tried learning in, so try to get some info on your local beaches and best learning spots.

My learning was slow. In a region close to the world's windiest city, I have ample opportunity for strong winds and there are days I don't go out. I've seen near accidents, close calls and been close to serious incidents.
Be very aware of the arc that a kite can travel on the end of it's lines and with movement of your connection point, you. Using that stable hitch point allowed me a chance to begin developing the muscle memory to learn things like pushing the bar AWAY to depower by reflex and various other beginnings of techniques.

My first day of success I had my kite get in a loop and sprinting after it in cheap boots one twisted on my foot and my toe bent right back and formed a massive bruise. However I was determined and ended up with a very successful session going both ways right after that.

Regarding lessons... I've seen teaching attempts, even from the guy I bought my first kite from, he's an infrequent kiter and he was trying to teach an inexperienced woman in one of the gustiest local spot/wind/angle combinations without explaining kite positioning and kite line slack danger if it falls from a high angle and retensions. So you need to be taught be someone not only competent, but good at explaining things the way they make sense to you and firm minded enough to take charge of the session and be fully in control of the safety aspect. Even qualified instructors may not click properly with all learners. It's easy to teach a talented person who understands things the same way you do but not all training sessions can be that lucky.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:57 am