Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Drifter vs. Core Section?

Postby pwkiteforum » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:36 am

Hi all,

Any advice on the Cabrinha Drifter vs. Core Section for wave and freestyle, setting aside kite durability?

The Drifter is more popular, but I assume that's due to a longer history and lower price.

Cheers

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Baltic Sea (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, increasing foiling
Gear: CORE / Flysurfer / Naish / Firewire / Duotone

Re: Cabrinha Drifter vs. Core Section?

Postby Onda » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:15 am

Drifter and Section are two quite different types of wave kites.
Drifter - on average - has more grunt (=constant pull without moving the kite) than Section. Section is turning faster and generates less pull during turns / loops.
Both models, however, have been changed quite a lot through the different model years. Drifter from 2018 is quite different compared to older years. Section has increased grunt from model 1 over 2 to 3.
I have the Section1 in 5 / 7 m² and I absolutely love them. Super fast turning, excellent depower, almost no pull during turns if you want, super stable in the air, also super good for foiling.
Section1 has very low bar pressure, which I like a lot. Others don´t… Drifter has higher bar pressure, turns slower (particularly the older models).
Materials and construction of the Section is really top-notch. I´ve had many kites / models / brands (all wave kites), the Sections are by far the best in terms of quality and robustness.
Sections are not lightweight, compared to other wave kites. But they behave like much lighter kites in light wind, to my big surprise. No problem to use them in light winds, no stalling / falling, very easy to fly.

pwkiteforum
Rare Poster

Postby pwkiteforum » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:09 am

Thanks for all the info - yes, comparing the Section to 2018+ Drifters.

You sold me on a Section for next kite. Sounds like it can work with a Cabrinha bar.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:02 am

The choice is simple. If you drive BMW, then buy Core. Otherwise, Cabrinha is fine choice.

Seriously, be skeptical about claims of some brands being superior to the others in terms of quality, when both vendors do have the same or equivalent materials suppliers. Also be suspicious of any claims that heavier kite can fly the same as the lighter one -- there are no miracles other than reducing the kite weight.

nikolaygadzhev77
Medium Poster

Postby nikolaygadzhev77 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:24 am

I have 9m drifter 2020 bar pressure is just right very fast kite I try on 22m and 24m good low end the new matirial is bomb proof. Is not bad choice of the kite.

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Drifters are very good on a wave board.
Easy to use and well behaved.

pwkiteforum
Rare Poster

Postby pwkiteforum » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:39 am

Thanks for all the feedback. Hm... my friend rides Core and does have a sports car haha

I was asking apart from durability, although Core does look robust from what I've seen on the beach. Buy off-season discount so price is moot.

nikolaygadzhev77
Medium Poster

Postby nikolaygadzhev77 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:39 am

pwkiteforum wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:39 am
Thanks for all the feedback. Hm... my friend rides Core and does have a sports car haha

I was asking apart from durability, although Core does look robust from what I've seen on the beach. Buy off-season discount so price is moot.
Everything is personal upinion I change from pivot to drifter I like new cabrinha matirial plazma bla bla is look very crispy and strong. I change after 13 years with naish so far like the kites good bar pressure, good turning speed, low end cabrinha improving every e
Year pivot and slash are the seem kites from 2016 exsept the matirial and inflating sistem a and odd bar.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:23 pm

nikolaygadzhev77 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:39 am
pwkiteforum wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:39 am

Everything is personal upinion I change from pivot to drifter I like new cabrinha matirial plazma bla bla is look very crispy and strong. I change after 13 years with naish so far like the kites good bar pressure, good turning speed, low end cabrinha improving every e
Year pivot and slash are the seem kites from 2016 exsept the matirial and inflating sistem a and odd bar.
Having flown 2015/16 Pivots and now 2017 I think there's quite a difference between those 2 at least. 2017 with quadtex is -for me- much more responsive and faster. Great drift too, esp. the 7m. I've been told that moving to/beyond 2019 also has quite an impact. Interesting to see what the new bridle brings on the S25 Pivot.

Drifter gets great reviews each year as well but haven't flown them.

Rickshawjimmy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Tarifa, spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Cumbuco, woodman point.
Style: freestyle
Gear: North kites

Postby Rickshawjimmy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:00 pm

The drifter, especially with the new nano ripstop canopy (all cabrinha kites since 2020) is bombproof and there is a really nice onshore / offshore setting on the LE which I realy like for using in Europe where more often than not the conditions are on - cross shore. The drifter is really a killer kite, the thing you really feel with it is how stable it is and when you ride towards it, which happens a lot in waves it just drifts back in the window. This actually makes it an awesome foiling kite too. I know a lot of guys swear by it for foiling as well. Ultimately, go try one, you won't regret it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”