Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

most durable kite brands/models

Forum for kitesurfers
szert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Camber Sands / Lancing / Southend, UK
Gear: RRD Passion MKX 2019 15m | Ozone Enduro V3 12m | Airush DNA 9m | Slingshot Rally 7m
Brand Affiliation: None

most durable kite brands/models

Postby szert » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:41 pm

My current 12m seems to be end of its lifespan, just had 2 canopy repairs and now a leading edge tear (without any hard crash)

So I started to look into last year's models on sale. (all rounder, crossover: freeride / big air / waves)

My priority is durability over a few percent better performance. I did a lot of research on forums and my head is just spinning with all the opinions.
So asking for more opinions will surely help :)

I found good deals on these models so far:

* Airush Union V5 2020
* RRD Passion MK10
* Ozone Enduro V2
* Naish Pivot 2020
* Ocean Rodeo Gen 6.5 Prodigy 2019
* Blade Trigger 11th gen

Which recent brands / models standing out in regards of durability (in either way)?

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Re: most durable kite brands/models

Postby windsuks » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:31 pm

I really don’t think there is a lot of difference between the kite brands regards durability. You’d be better choosing a kite that suits your needs and is from a local store that will support you.
These users thanked the author windsuks for the post:
szert (Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:33 am)
Rating: 3.03%

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:13 am

IMO kite brand & model preference is such a personal decision, it's kind of like asking " what car should I drive ? "

I suggest you try as many different kites that your local shops have on demo and select the one that suits you best.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby gibsonandpickett » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:03 am

windsuks wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:31 pm
I really don’t think there is a lot of difference between the kite brands regards durability. You’d be better choosing a kite that suits your needs and is from a local store that will support you.
Id disagree with that. Ive been flying V9 ozone edges. Fantastic kites but my 9 and 11 both have had leading edge repairs from stress rips in exactly the same place after only 15 months( All i do is boost and only in one direction)
These users thanked the author gibsonandpickett for the post:

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:55 am

Prodigies are tough kites. I've beat the hell of a couple of them and they shouldnt have survived...but did
These users thanked the author atomic-chomik for the post:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:04 am

gibsonandpickett wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:03 am
windsuks wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:31 pm
Id disagree with that. Ive been flying V9 ozone edges. Fantastic kites but my 9 and 11 both have had leading edge repairs from stress rips in exactly the same place after only 15 months( All i do is boost and only in one direction)
It all becomes very anecdotal though.

Considering the number of Edges that have been sold there is no way they just fail after 15 months.

Not to say there aren't kites that got design flaws. But I don't think anyone got the data to say one brand is better or worse than others. Even for cars that is difficult - where you got an enormous amount of data.

I'll probably go with another brand next time around just to try something new. I have done a lot of research, but going Duotone, Core or whatever I would have no clue as to which would be the better in terms of durability. What you tend to see is that the high volume brands tend to have more of these anecdotal stories on boards like this.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:

szert
Medium Poster
Gear: RRD Passion MKX 2019 15m | Ozone Enduro V3 12m | Airush DNA 9m | Slingshot Rally 7m

Postby szert » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:27 am

GregK wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:13 am
IMO kite brand & model preference is such a personal decision, it's kind of like asking " what car should I drive ? "

I suggest you try as many different kites that your local shops have on demo and select the one that suits you best.
I agree that's why I included kind of a shortlist of kites which I owned, tried or find it a fit based on reviews. Trying them all would be the best but not all of them available for a test ride. And even if available I find it challenging to compare as I can't try one right after the other so easily ending up riding in very different conditions.

Anyway my question is really about "which car brand or model is the most reliable".

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:51 am

I find my RRD kites to be very tough. Tougher than the rest? Hmmm, hard call. I'd say their leading edges are def. very tough.
These users thanked the author or6 for the post:
szert (Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:57 am)

szert
Medium Poster

Postby szert » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:57 am

Havre wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:04 am
gibsonandpickett wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:03 am

It all becomes very anecdotal though.

Considering the number of Edges that have been sold there is no way they just fail after 15 months.

Not to say there aren't kites that got design flaws. But I don't think anyone got the data to say one brand is better or worse than others. Even for cars that is difficult - where you got an enormous amount of data.

I'll probably go with another brand next time around just to try something new. I have done a lot of research, but going Duotone, Core or whatever I would have no clue as to which would be the better in terms of durability. What you tend to see is that the high volume brands tend to have more of these anecdotal stories on boards like this.
Indeed, my question is methodically flawed: whichever model sold more will have more issues by chance. Also it's more likely people reply if they had an issue and there is no reliable level of detail provided about usage and conditions.

But still it's kind of red flag if a specific issue is raised by multiple ppl for a particular model. Eg. I've seen complains about ozone bladder issues. To be fair I also seen a few posts arguing that they didn't have any problems. And somewhere Ozone chipped in that it was an issue with earlier batches which day addressed. Anyhow my feeling from feedbacks is that edge is a great kite but for a price of durability (they made it lighter to perform better?)

Its all skewed , as ozone enduro might be one of the most popular model from my list.

It would be great to come up with a fairer durabilty survey.

Until then keep it coming about all brands/models anecdotal bad and good :)

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:28 am

Hello szert,

I am curious as to how many hours of use you got from your dead kite.

Could you please estimate and share with us? (Hours of active kiting plus hours flapping at the shore).

Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”