Local Beach: Göteborg-rågelund
Style: freeride/freestyle
Gear: switchblade 12 (2016)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What board should I choose?

Postby mango99 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:06 pm

Might be a bit of an odd question but I have noone else to ask.
I am looking for my first gear to get into kiteboarding. So I am a beginner but want a board that I can ride and grow with (freeride/freestyle). I have recieved two offers with used boards and I am unsure witch one would be the better deal.
The first board is a north ride x from 2018, looks nice, a few scratches but nothing major, I will get the board and straps for about 520usd.
The second board is a cabrinha spectrum from 2017, looks a bit more used than the other board but nothing significant. The thing is I will get this board for 115usd but no straps so I would have to buy those myself (probably new ones).

I have a hard time telling what deal would be the best value for my money so I am looking for someone with a bit of experience to help me out!
Thanks in advance!

Best regards Lukas

Cheoz0r86
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 80-75
Local Beach: North down peninsula in Northern Ireland
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2022 11m core XR7, 2022 9m XR7. 137*41 2020 CF raptor

Re: What board should I choose?

Postby Cheoz0r86 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:43 pm

Try to go for a wider board if you are just starting out, a small board will make your life a bit more difficult in the beginning, the question is how much do you weight and what's the average wind speeds you will be riding?? Regards

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Re: What board should I choose?

Postby 1234567Simon » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:17 pm

If you are 68kg and have a 12 Switchblade....

Two options:
1. get a board you can grow with (smaller one) and have harder time in the beginning : first 20 times. And then have a board, actually still too big.

2. get a nice big board for the first 15 times (you will learn faster and easier). Then get the right small board for your weight. And keep the first one as light wind board.

With 68 kg: I would get something like the 148 x 44 spectrum for the beginning.
After getting better you will prefere something like 135 x 40

Return to “Kitesurfing”