Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: Dice evolution vs rebel or eve

Postby Blackened » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:41 am
Well, this guy manages to get caught by a rebel on time ...
Yes, when I video myself, I tend to not include many crashes either.. But he's admittedly better than I am :)

Will a Rebel catch you, yes. My 2019 8m caught me most of the time I looped it. Unfortunately, it didn't always climb as I expected and there were too many hard landings. My Evo 9m only failed on pilot error or a hole in the wind.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Exal » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Blackened wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:39 pm
Leon van Bergen wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:41 am
Well, this guy manages to get caught by a rebel on time ...
Yes, when I video myself, I tend to not include many crashes either.. But he's admittedly better than I am :)

Will a Rebel catch you, yes. My 2019 8m caught me most of the time I looped it. Unfortunately, it didn't always climb as I expected and there were too many hard landings. My Evo 9m only failed on pilot error or a hole in the wind.
Erik is a beast and also posts crashes. Maybe the rebel just isn't for you? I heard people rave about looping the rebel but they are still a minority since most people are on the dice/evo I talk to. Last weekend I didn't see anyone looping a rebel but two guys on ozone edge and another two on core xr. I sold all my dice now and the 9 rebel is going too, switching over to evos. Hopefully they come with a decent set of balls so that I can start looping :lol:
These users thanked the author Exal for the post (total 2):
Leon van Bergen (Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:31 pm) • andrzej351 (Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:58 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 pm

Exal wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Erik is a beast and also posts crashes. Maybe the rebel just isn't for you? I heard people rave about looping the rebel but they are still a minority since most people are on the dice/evo I talk to. Last weekend I didn't see anyone looping a rebel but two guys on ozone edge and another two on core xr. I sold all my dice now and the 9 rebel is going too, switching over to evos. Hopefully they come with a decent set of balls so that I can start looping :lol:
I haven't seen him post any crashes from the kite stalling, but he's the reason I bought the 8m Rebel in the first place. If you watch some of his other videos, you can actually see his Rebel stall and him frantically pump it to get it to climb. I honestly thought there was something wrong with my bar/kite/me I until re-watched his videos and noticed the same behaviour. If you're 15m+ in the air, you still have time for it to recover. If you're old and don't dare send it properly for loops, then 8-12m isn't always enough time for it to catch after a stall.

You'll love the Evo for learning. It's not as quick to come around as the Dice, but it doesn't give you that aggressive horizontal yank. Always scary at first, but you'll love it.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Exal » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:36 pm

Blackened wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 pm
I haven't seen him post any crashes from the kite stalling, but he's the reason I bought the 8m Rebel in the first place. If you watch some of his other videos, you can actually see his Rebel stall and him frantically pump it to get it to climb. I honestly thought there was something wrong with my bar/kite/me I until re-watched his videos and noticed the same behaviour. If you're 15m+ in the air, you still have time for it to recover. If you're old and don't dare send it properly for loops, then 8-12m isn't always enough time for it to catch after a stall.

You'll love the Evo for learning. It's not as quick to come around as the Dice, but it doesn't give you that aggressive horizontal yank. Always scary at first, but you'll love it.
Erik is on instagram, I asked him a couple things there over dm and he responded. Think he is also on facebook. Cool dude. If you don't want to give up on looping the rebel he might have some pointers for you!

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:29 pm

Exal wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:36 pm

Erik is on instagram, I asked him a couple things there over dm and he responded. Think he is also on facebook. Cool dude. If you don't want to give up on looping the rebel he might have some pointers for you!
Already moved to Orbits. 15/12m Rebels for oldschool. 9/10m Orbits for looping. They're much, much nicer :)

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:38 am

The Rebel is a solid Intermediate jumping kite.

The Evo is awesome for beginners and as of 2020, for advanced riders as well.

They redesigned the Evo quite abit these last two years - from five struts to three struts and modified the bridles to make it free of pulleys. As a result the The 2020 is model is FAST and I mean Super fast from a guy who loves C kites. An advanced rider can transform the high speed into power.

If you want to learn Loops go Evo. Evos are much easier to loop and friendlier about it. On the advanced end, getting a Rebel to go down to the horizon is tricky, in part because of the wingtip attachment that spreads the load over two spots.

The Rebel is abit easier when first learning some old school tricks like dark slides, full deadman, board grabs/offs, etc

Ive been teaching on evos and riding Rebels the last dew years but will prob use a quiver of pure Evos this year. The 2020 Evo design is really that impressive.

I have not yet tried the Orbits, Raptors, or Reedin Super model.

Honestly I am kinda hoping for an aluula C kite :D. Without bridling improvements, a MATERIALS improvement can help C kites alot where they are weak especially since it allows a redesign (thinner LE, higher pressure LE).
These users thanked the author dracop for the post (total 2):
cor (Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:51 am) • Exal (Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:01 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

roggema
Rare Poster
Local Beach: belgium duinbergen, nieuwpoort
Favorite Beaches: el medano. others to come hopefully
Style: freeride
Gear: North dice, north jaime
Has thanked: 0

Postby roggema » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:25 am

Very nice feedback.

I've just bought a 12m REBEL 2020 and will most probably buy a 9M EVO aswell. If I prefer one over the other I'll make a full quiver.

I guess there will be some evo's aswell for sale as to the launch of the new kites :bye: :lol:

Exal
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Exal » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:37 am

roggema wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:25 am
Very nice feedback.

I've just bought a 12m REBEL 2020 and will most probably buy a 9M EVO aswell. If I prefer one over the other I'll make a full quiver.

I guess there will be some evo's aswell for sale as to the launch of the new kites :bye: :lol:
Bad news for deals on the 2020 evo. The normal evo keeps going and they only release the evo SLS but don't know when. The evo itself is not that easy to get and don't expect to good of a deal. I just bought my evos and was lucky my guy could get me some. If you want a certain color you might have to wait a while. So better get on it sooner rather than later unless you have lots of time. Second hand market the 2020 evos are going really fast too for the normal sizes.

Return to “Kitesurfing”