Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Brazil/Floripa
Gear: kitesurf,hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

kitesurf wave bridle setup

Postby ericmsil » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:31 pm

hi.

Can someone help me with the bridle setup on my kitewave prototype I imagined something like the image but I don't know if it's right. I am in doubt also in relation to the angle of the bridles used?

I looked for material on the subject but found nothing

best regards

Eric
Attachments
Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg (73.39 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_1.jpg

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: kitesurf wave bridle setup

Postby knotwindy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:08 pm

Do you have any idea how complicated that question really is?
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
ericmsil (Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ericmsil
Rare Poster

Postby ericmsil » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:22 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:08 pm
Do you have any idea how complicated that question really is?
Yes, for being so complicated is that I have no idea how to do this setup.

i´m using Karoro to design .there are several settings already for bridlesin karoro. Now it remains to be seen if still how to properly configure this.

http://www.karorocad.online/

tks

Eric

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Well for prototypes, why don't put a shit ton of attachments on the LE and then test your way there?

I would aim at keeping it simple and keep bridle load distributions even. But that is just intuition.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
ericmsil (Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:49 pm)

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:54 am

i have seen videos of the pros, and they do many attachment points as suggested and test experimentally. i would copy an existing design you like and then experiment.
i have not seen that software. how would you make the kite? seems like that is the hard part.

i wish one of the diy kite guys which i have seen on here (and am really impressed with) did a group buy of their designs at a chinese factory. i would be in to that at a good price. i have no idea how feasible that is.
These users thanked the author vakiter for the post:

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:56 pm

The bridle geometry looks reasonable to me. Check out BRM kites as Greg has the bridles pretty dialed.
When making the kite, add several attachments adjacent attachments for fine tuning/experimenting.
For a prototype, I would suggest either a) putting pulleys on the bridles where there is a V (i.e. Cloud version 1, or b) use a slip-knot with knots on either side where there is a V (i.e. Caution kites). Once you get wear on the pulleyline, it will tell you where the natural fixed point location wants to be. If using a slip-knot, have it loose, then practice jumping, and it will find the position where it wants to be. Then you can take measurements and make fixed bridles if desired, or move the staggered knots to where the slip-knot wants to reside, to lock it in place.
These users thanked the author sflinux for the post:

ericmsil
Rare Poster

Postby ericmsil » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:56 pm

vakiter wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:54 am
i have seen videos of the pros, and they do many attachment points as suggested and test experimentally. i would copy an existing design you like and then experiment.
i have not seen that software. how would you make the kite? seems like that is the hard part.

i wish one of the diy kite guys which i have seen on here (and am really impressed with) did a group buy of their designs at a chinese factory. i would be in to that at a good price. i have no idea how feasible that is.
hi.

yes i will make the kite in a supplier in china, but before making the prototype i would like to have a little certainty about the bridles.me setup i certainly based on the design of some existing kites and some existing bridle setups since i I didn't find anything about it

tks

Eric

ericmsil
Rare Poster

Postby ericmsil » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:04 pm

sflinux wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:56 pm
The bridle geometry looks reasonable to me. Check out BRM kites as Greg has the bridles pretty dialed.
When making the kite, add several attachments adjacent attachments for fine tuning/experimenting.
For a prototype, I would suggest either a) putting pulleys on the bridles where there is a V (i.e. Cloud version 1, or b) use a slip-knot with knots on either side where there is a V (i.e. Caution kites). Once you get wear on the pulleyline, it will tell you where the natural fixed point location wants to be. If using a slip-knot, have it loose, then practice jumping, and it will find the position where it wants to be. Then you can take measurements and make fixed bridles if desired, or move the staggered knots to where the slip-knot wants to reside, to lock it in place.
hi

yes, i will use the pulley system in the Vs and i will use some line adjustments in the classic points of the kite

tks

Eric
Attachments
Screenshot_1.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-26 at 18.46.53.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-26 at 18.35.28.jpeg
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_1.jpg (130.1 KiB) Viewed 1457 times

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:35 pm

I am not a kite designer and a lot of my experience comes from keeping older gear going. But just eyeballing your provisional bridle I would say it looks pretty short. This may make the kite prone to buckling even when you have optimised the attachment points. Look at the direction of load in the last element of the bridle, I think this angle may be critical.

I find putting a kite on a tether and pushing the kite back into the power zone allows you to inspect how the bridle is working, use the trim strap stopper ball for looking at the effect of sheeting. But I think you need to be comfortable with tether launching before trying this. It would allow you to look at a selection of bridles up close and personal!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
ericmsil (Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:32 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:28 pm

If you were up for an evening of trig and vector diagrams you could analyse the resultant force at each attachment for a variety of bridle shapes for a given Tension in the flying line. In itself that may be illuminating but if you could get Adrian Newey to analyse the canopy Forces it could be gold. I remember why I stopped wanting to be an engineer now!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post (total 2):
ericmsil (Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:43 am) • decay (Mon May 23, 2022 3:50 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”