Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Re: kitesurf wave bridle setup

Postby decay » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:31 am

ericmsil wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:31 pm
hi.

Can someone help me with the bridle setup on my kitewave prototype I imagined something like the image but I don't know if it's right. I am in doubt also in relation to the angle of the bridles used?

I looked for material on the subject but found nothing

best regards

Eric

Hi Eric,

DK here, the developer of karoroCAD. Sorry I missed this thread earlier. Very happy to see you using my software for your project.

The question about bridle design is very open ended, in fact I'm certain for any given kite 'chassis' there is an infinite number of bridle alignments that will tune to kite to a flyable state.

The underlying physics engine in karoroCAD is currently setup to build the bridle to a 'min energy state' which I've found has been very successful in getting reasonable flying base tunes 'out of the bag'.

However no simulation is ever perfect in the real world, and some tuning should be expected.

For new designs, (not based off a model already flying) I personally order 4 or more bridles with the prototype. Usually a mix of alignments (karoroCAD has a few different options) along with maybe some different options on bridle overall length (the bridle tow point distance from kite setting).

karoroCAD default is to put a tow point on every LE seam to give lots of options for tuning.

Hows your project coming along and is there anything you would like to see in future releases of karoroCAD?

Cheers

DK

ericmsil
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Brazil/Floripa
Gear: kitesurf,hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ericmsil » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:57 pm

decay wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:31 am
ericmsil wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:31 pm
hi.

Can someone help me with the bridle setup on my kitewave prototype I imagined something like the image but I don't know if it's right. I am in doubt also in relation to the angle of the bridles used?

I looked for material on the subject but found nothing

best regards

Eric

Hi Eric,

DK here, the developer of karoroCAD. Sorry I missed this thread earlier. Very happy to see you using my software for your project.

The question about bridle design is very open ended, in fact I'm certain for any given kite 'chassis' there is an infinite number of bridle alignments that will tune to kite to a flyable state.

The underlying physics engine in karoroCAD is currently setup to build the bridle to a 'min energy state' which I've found has been very successful in getting reasonable flying base tunes 'out of the bag'.

However no simulation is ever perfect in the real world, and some tuning should be expected.

For new designs, (not based off a model already flying) I personally order 4 or more bridles with the prototype. Usually a mix of alignments (karoroCAD has a few different options) along with maybe some different options on bridle overall length (the bridle tow point distance from kite setting).

karoroCAD default is to put a tow point on every LE seam to give lots of options for tuning.

Hows your project coming along and is there anything you would like to see in future releases of karoroCAD?

Cheers

DK
hi Dk. tks for reply.

I haven't played karoro for a long time, but I missed a button to undo the changes, because as I didn't know the program parameters and being a layman on the subject, just a simple kite and enthusiastic user, I had to mess with the program by trial and error and I had to make a map of what each button did.

it was good to have something like:

https://www.winghopper.com/design_guide

the cousin of karoro but for wing design. this would already help a lot.

make a version for wings too.

congratulations for the excellent work your program is great.

Best Regards

Ericmsil

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Postby decay » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:34 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your feedback.

I actually do have a parameter reference doc in WIP:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vti ... xlwniqqww0

Hopefully this will help you out on your next experiment with the code.

I have some excellent new features coming, just waiting of on a much needed server side upgrade my provider has been promising for a few months - once they have it live I'll drop the new Karoro ASAP!

Cheers

DK
These users thanked the author decay for the post:
ericmsil (Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”