Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

recomendations impact vest (with a bit of a rant)

Forum for kitesurfers
juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Spitfire Foil / GoFoil / Ozone wings
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: recomendations impact vest (with a bit of a rant)

Postby juandesooka » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:07 pm

I have the dakine surface, quite happy with it. They make both black and orange. The link on page 2 shows an L size, pretty sure they make them bigger too, may have to shop around to find sizes.

I have worn it for a little extra flotation should a swim be required, and for protection from the foil sword that wants to kill you. It also helps for when you are surf/sup foiling, as falling that extra 2-3' height on your back can be a pretty good slapper, takes your breath away.

I sewed in a line cutter sleeve on the inside chest, as that's where you need it should there be an emergency. As for bright colours, reflective tape, etc...all good ideas for safety. If you ever need to be sighted at dusk from a helicopter, that could be a lifesaver.

But in surfing we have this black on black mentality, it is kooky to wear anything colour. And on days where someone actually takes any photos we all struggle to figure out who's who. So the kiters wear a tshirt/rashie over top, or the age-old shorts over the wetsuit, and are labelled accordingly. :-) Ah, the struggles of fashion vs function, helps to be middle aged, spawned out, and really not give much of a crap.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
Matteo V (Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:18 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Grizwald » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:25 pm

Juandesooka- While the link on page 2 indicates that large are made when you click on it the unavailable tab pops up.
The search continues.

jms
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, Sydney
Gear: Ozone, CrazyFly, Switch
Has thanked: 0

Postby jms » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:21 am

juandesooka wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:07 pm
I sewed in a line cutter sleeve on the inside chest, as that's where you need it should there be an emergency. As for bright colours, reflective tape, etc...all good ideas for safety. If you ever need to be sighted at dusk from a helicopter, that could be a lifesaver.
Could you tell me how you did this? I've been thinking of something similar, but I'm not sure how to sew onto the neoprene. Did you use a curved needle to sew into the foam, plus glue, with old wetsuit material? I'd love to see a photo if you're able to!

fluidity
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Late model Switch kites element and nitros,
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Now focussing on Wingsurfing to rise to a new challenge. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints, built a CNC machine last year and now cutting designs with CNC as well as 3D printing.

Postby fluidity » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 am

I've got a jetpilot X1 series. About 4 years old now and Looking like that, I kite through winter too when I get the chance. Now learning wing foiling and I put my key on a fishing clip/swivel around the shoulder strap, it guarantees I put the vest on! Also, I can bend sideways and operate the key in the door.
Be careful, a lot of the vests will give you that six-pack look but not give you protection where you need it. For waist harnesses, that protection is mostly at the bottom of your ribs. Kite specific harnesses have thin section to go under the harness and thick above. Side impact protection is good too if you land hard from high.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Spitfire Foil / GoFoil / Ozone wings
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:41 pm

jms wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:21 am
juandesooka wrote:
Could you tell me how you did this? I've been thinking of something similar, but I'm not sure how to sew onto the neoprene. Did you use a curved needle to sew into the foam, plus glue, with old wetsuit material? I'd love to see a photo if you're able to!
It is one of these, with the pocket. I just hand sewed it shallow with needle and dental floss -- the surface vest has a thin stretchy nylon layer on top, just pierce that not the padding below it. Looks terrible but it has held in there for years, vest is rotting and falling apart around it. :thumb:

jms
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, Sydney
Gear: Ozone, CrazyFly, Switch
Has thanked: 0

Postby jms » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:02 am

juandesooka wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:41 pm
It is one of these, with the pocket. I just hand sewed it shallow with needle and dental floss -- the surface vest has a thin stretchy nylon layer on top, just pierce that not the padding below it. Looks terrible but it has held in there for years, vest is rotting and falling apart around it. :thumb:
Too easy! I was definitely overthinking it!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:20 am

I use the Liquid Force vest:

https://www.kitepaddlesurf.com/products ... mpact-vest

It works great for me. I got it primarily for "protection" while foiling, but wear it all the time now. Pluses: flotation obviously, some protective padding, extra insulation when it's cold. But honestly, the biggest plus is that it keeps my waist harness down so that it doesn't ride up. It has a built in line cutter & is reversible with a choice of mostly black or mostly yellow. I recommend it.
Last edited by Flyboy on Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:20 am

juandesooka wrote:
Ah, the struggles of fashion vs function, helps to be middle aged, spawned out, and really not give much of a crap.
Love it! But I was spawned out before you made it cool.....heck, I was spawned out before I was born! I'm even gonna get a shirt saying that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”