Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cabrihnia, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Not wanted rotations on lofty jumps

Postby RomeUtah » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:40 pm

Hi All,
Not sure where to post this but I have a problem that im trying to figure out. Went out on a 12m soul last weekend and it was blowing 20 to 25, goal was to see how little i can stay on the water. I had quiet a few massive jumps (at least for me) and was chillin in the air for long time, on some of the jumps event though i would take off squared off to the kite and wind after a second or 2 in the air, I would start rotating, and pretty slowly, where i would come down with my chest facing upwind. How can i correct or stop rotation mid air? Am I doing something wrong on the takeoffs or is my body position off, i fly in the toilet seat position like im ready to loop.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Re: Not wanted rotations on lofty jumps

Postby edt » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Are you redirecting the kite hard enough? When you redirect the kite it naturally pulls you forward and kills rotation.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:57 pm

Problem should be at lift off if you just do a normal jump without tricks.

Check your edging, you might carve to much upwind.
Also pay attention to the popping of the board ... Make sure to pop off straight upwards, not slightly to any side.

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:06 pm

Once you're facing upwind you might as well spin like a cat and make it a full rotation. Crash landing on your back is disorienting.
Whatever awkward shift my body takes during the pop, I found that if I take my front or back hand off and do a board grab it helps keep me in the right orientation to land. It sortof opens your chest/shoulder up and stops the slight rotation that borks the landing. You do have to ungrab and dive the kite before you land, but at that point you should be pointing the right direction.
If you don't feel comfortable taking your hand off the bar mid jump, try tweaking the board. That has a more dramatic affect on the rotation.
Either way, it will add more style* to your jumps. Give it a try and see.

(*just please don't do the 'butt up/table top' jump- it's poop ugly and only for people trying to get an extra few woo feet :-? )

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:20 pm

My policy is generally always try to be doing something positive but this can be an exception. If I have an uncontrolled rotation I keep the kite at 12 and try to float it out. From a physics point of view if you thrust your legs and shoulders back and your harness forward the pull of the kite should “weather cock” you back round to face the correct way but if it is a strong rotation go with it and try to spot your landings. I have on occasions chosen to lift the board and go in arse first but I am not sure that is a good policy.

If you fly it about doing double movements etc you are less likely to rotate but if you just hang about wondering if you are going to start rotating Murphy’s Law will apply!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:31 pm

If you are truly getting lofty jumps and landing backwards I'm amazed you are here to tell us about it!

I occasionally get rotated backwards in a jump because I hit the white water at the tip of a breaking wave as I launch. Occasionally I manage to complete the rotation and land properly, but more commonly I kick the board off, concentrate on getting the kite above me, and parachute land feet first.

Maybe try keeping to smaller jumps till you can reliably keep your orientation and landing correct.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:00 pm

To a paraglider, this would be landing forwards.

I simply say that because if you think of it that way, the controls all still work and then you ride out of the jump toeside (ideally).

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:11 pm

Getting good at rotations can help you prevent them. Learn to do the back roll with first a bit of speed and some height, then no speed, then lots of forward speed gaining ground while the rotation is taking place, and then with no kite movement by simply cutting it up wind hard.

This kind of reminds me of back when I started snowkiting, and I didn't want to learn to jump. But I still was getting lifted every time I did a transition. Once I got brave enough to try some jumps, I learned how to control those jumps and most importantly stop them from happening.

Flyingseb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Naish Draft, North Dyno, OR mako board, DIY boards, hydrofoil

Postby Flyingseb » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:12 pm

I faced that difficulty during a short time this winter, when starting to ride a new board.
The balance was different, and I had to pay extra attention at lift off to the edge release
So I agree with Toby
Being confortable with rotation either direction is also important, then you’re better at controlling it

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:26 pm

I agree with others. Look at your takeoff.

Try and do your load and pop with your lower torso keeping you shoulders and head in the direction you want to go.

If your head and shoulders are correct during take off and flight you will be good. If you are still rotating your shoulders on take off..... you will carry on rotating.

Also look where you want to be. You body with then follow where you are looking.

Lastly. If you are hitting wave kickers, try not to boost of white wash. White wash will screw your boost up..... Look for the clean ramp.

Return to “Kitesurfing”