Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Not wanted rotations on lofty jumps

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:35 am

I have found this unsettling tendency creeping into my jumps at times, a slow up wind rotation on the way up, checked at the apex, then slow rotation back normal to land properly. I have had a few 30+footers Where I am backwards at the apex, spun the bar, kept the kite at 12 and prayed as I came down hard backwards. Oh and I was in boots. It is obviously a flaw in my lift off.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:55 am

My guess would be your looking slightly upwind and that is causing the rotation. You need to be looking downwind when you jump unless you want to rotate that is. You might never had noticed it when you were doing smaller jumps since you were not in the air long enough. This is my guess based on your description. If it was an edging issue it would probably be a faster rotation starting a lot sooner and you would have noticed it on smaller jumps as well.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:11 am

Thanks all, this has been hunting me for years and there's a couple of valuable tips in here!

Pemba
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:03 am

It happens to me as well. Sometimes I'm able to still land correctly by kind of twisting my body, sometimes not. I think many people (though possibly only at high level) are able to control their rotation very well. If you look at pro's (video's) they seem to look at the water and decide to add a rotation or stop an existing rotation if necessary. What about a "late backroll" and stopping and reversing your rotation (back to blind) ? I think there's more to it than just the take off.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all
Has thanked: 0

Postby scklandl » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:16 pm

Always look where you want to go,
Beyond that After apexing let go of bar with back hand . It will redirect the Kite For a softer landing And Automatically Orient your body.

And always keep your hands as close to the center of bar and less strongly redirecting the Kite for something like a big jump launch, we’re doing or Kite loop.

RomeUtah
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Deer Creek, SSB, skyline, strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cabrihnia, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby RomeUtah » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:39 pm

OP here, just to clarify I start the rotation mid way through the jump and not on the take offs, usually on the way down is when I start a forward rotation where riding out toe side is a bit impossible. I am very comfortable doing back rolls and doing 720s 10 to 20 feet of the ground, not 40 feet off the ground. When I start a back rotation in reference to the direction I jump, I ride out toe side. On snow when I boost and glide I control my rotation by moving my kite dramatically in and out of the window. Toby, i will try to pay more attention to where I look and be more squared off on my pop, you may be on to something, I am curious though if kinking out one leg and straightening another leg may stall me in the air, maybe hold a grab or do a board off.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:07 am

Read previous post^^^^^

Let go of bar with back hand. Sure grab the board it will fix everything

Also be mindful of the position of your board. If you are indeed twisting after take off. It’s probably the wind blowing you around. I nearly got blown off the dock today walking my boards back from the boat.
These users thanked the author scklandl for the post:
Pera (Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:43 am)
Rating: 8.33%

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:22 am

RomeUtah wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:39 pm
OP here, just to clarify I start the rotation mid way through the jump and not on the take offs, usually on the way down is when I start a forward rotation where riding out toe side is a bit impossible. I am very comfortable doing back rolls and doing 720s 10 to 20 feet of the ground, not 40 feet off the ground. When I start a back rotation in reference to the direction I jump, I ride out toe side. On snow when I boost and glide I control my rotation by moving my kite dramatically in and out of the window. Toby, i will try to pay more attention to where I look and be more squared off on my pop, you may be on to something, I am curious though if kinking out one leg and straightening another leg may stall me in the air, maybe hold a grab or do a board off.
If its mid way through the jump then i think its the fact that are twisting your upper body. Probably due to looking in a particular direction. Look in the landing direction. Head and shoulders will follow.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
RomeUtah (Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:24 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:18 am

If you are starting a foward rotation on the way down this might suggest you be looking down rather than forward to spot your landing.

You can make your body bear away or harden up in the air by presenting the boards surface area to the wind, as used a lot by windsurfers. Doing something positive with the board to have it forward might help. Looking a bit upwind as you start the decent may help...........I am pretty sure it will just be a personal thing that you will sort out by just doing something purposeful with mind as well as body. - does it happen if you turn the jump into a transition!!

NotsoShort
Rare Poster
Gear: 14m RPM
10m RPM
Been thanked: 0

Postby NotsoShort » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:59 pm

I started to accidentally rotate more after nailing rotations. Must be a muscle memory thing. To stop it , when kicking on my back heel I through my weight forward in the direction to the kite. I bring my legs up which is working for me now

Return to “Kitesurfing”