Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North - MY21 Collection

Forum for kitesurfers
a99
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North - MY21 Collection

Postby a99 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:53 pm

Bar design looks terible, as 10 years ago. Kite color Design little better than past years Duotone. Duotone white 2020 kites looks super cheap.
These users thanked the author a99 for the post (total 2):
purdyd (Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:11 am) • tegirinenashi (Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:47 am)
Rating: 16.67%

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:38 pm

Why go to all the trouble of implementing 20 improvements to the bar design and then flip the prominent colour on the grip. Very disappointed with Hughs efforts.

Major plus on adding a full size run on the Reach though :thumb:
These users thanked the author ScoopZ for the post:
purdyd (Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:09 am)
Rating: 8.33%

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:26 am

Am I the only one that thinks the color on a bar don't matter at all? I never look at the bar and say "oh I'm pulling on the red side." I don't pay attention to the bar other than when I'm untwisting my lines and have to reach up to grab it again. If I rig up a bar backwards no biggy ( talking steering lines not front and back lines here). Bars are simple colors do not affect how they fly.

Really how are all those racers doing it on custom carbon bars with no color? Must be super confusing for them not to know which side to put their right hand if the whole bar is black.
These users thanked the author TheJoe for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:21 am)

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:32 am

Here's a rider's perspective on what the bar looks like. The grip is also asymmetrical, the idea being a rider knows which way is right or not right when they grab the bar. I hope this helps.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-02 at 2.30.53 PM.jpeg
These users thanked the author mattaiken MYS NKB for the post:
Jeremey76 (Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:13 am)

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:55 am

mattaiken MYS NKB wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:32 am
Here's a rider's perspective on what the bar looks like. The grip is also asymmetrical, the idea being a rider knows which way is right or not right when they grab the bar. I hope this helps.

If you spin a bar the most visible thing is the floats which are both gray, you won’t pick out the small red patch under the bar,

If you grab a bar after a spin and notice the asymmetrical grip it is too late, generally.

There is not enough contrast from the floats. The bright color has been historically on the left side, 3/4 of the bar is essentially the same color.

I will stand by my assertion that this is not a great color design, it seems odd that anyone would think this is a good design. Unfortunately, some of your competitors have equally bad color schemes.

sebi
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby sebi » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:02 am

The bar is one of the best in the market for sure and the design is outstanding. Lines are nice too. Only thing is that the depower throw was too short for my liking for waveriding (needs to be 50cm+). Is it still the same this year? Maybe it would be good to offer bars with different throw (freestyle/waveriding) like the bar size versions.

Glad they have a small bar now.

Green is a bad choice for color blind people btw. So for them the bar is brown and black😀.

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:53 am

Pol Kiter wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:40 am
Looking good!

I need a new TT and I'm between the new Atmos and the Lieuwe Shotgun, any advice?

Thank you!
New Atmos is very similar to the old one. Amazing board - especially the carbon. Just needs brighter colours so I can find it. Haven't ridden the Shotgun, but people on this forum praise it.

luca
Medium Poster

Postby luca » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:42 am

The Atmos is amazing.
I have 75kilos and rise the carbon. The flex is not too hard. It is very good in choppy. My wife is riding the Atmos hybrid. It does have a bit more flex. From my point of view
>70 kilos Carbon for performance Freeride
< 70 kilos Hybrid

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:50 am

purdyd wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:55 am
mattaiken MYS NKB wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:32 am

If you spin a bar the most visible thing is the floats which are both gray, you won’t pick out the small red patch under the bar,

If you grab a bar after a spin and notice the asymmetrical grip it is too late, generally.

There is not enough contrast from the floats. The bright color has been historically on the left side, 3/4 of the bar is essentially the same color.

I will stand by my assertion that this is not a great color design, it seems odd that anyone would think this is a good design. Unfortunately, some of your competitors have equally bad color schemes.
Completely agree. For me it is not a big issue, but it seems so pointless not making it right. What is the downside?

And it is not like North are very careful with not having contrasting colours generally. I mean if the new Orbit had been blue with a slightly different blue graphics I could have kind of got the overall design, but they go blue and very clear yellow. Seems completely random to me then having a bar that is supposedly "neutral" or whatever they are going for.

BarraGrande
Rare Poster
Gear: North Evo 12+8, Kitelement Resolve, Slingshot Space Skate Foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BarraGrande » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:30 pm

I think North got a bit ahead of themselves with their sailing heritage. for anyone with nautical background the color choice of green right (starboard) and red left (port) is second nature. this is why originally most bars where red on the left side.

Return to “Kitesurfing”