Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Dash riders... poor low end power ?

Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish Dash riders... poor low end power ?

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:59 am

I bought a 9/11/14m Dash combo (2017) and a 2020 Naish ATB bar. I have been a long term Naish Torch rider (still have the Torch's). I find the Dash has Really really poor low end, worse than the same size Torch IMO. I have been riding the 14m Dash for a while now (87kg, 134cm Shinn Monk) and it needs a stupid amount of wind to come alive, the 14m need about 17/18m to get going and only become fun from +20mph.

Previously I had a 2013 14m Torch which had much better bottom end (could go from 12mph and fun at 15mph) than the 14m Dash. I find I need to put up a bigger Dash than I would Torch, does anyone else find the low end on the Dash really bad ? There are no real adjustments to make to the kite, it's trimmed correctly. I think Kiteworld found the same issue, when you read their review they never found the top end on the 8m in Cape Town and allude to a poor low end ("the Dash is Hungry for winds"):

https://www.kiteworldmag.com/gear/2018- ... 8m-review/

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Re: Naish Dash riders... poor low end power ?

Postby Exal » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:47 am

Kite looks pretty C shape. How you describe it is how I felt with the dice but the biggest size I had was a 9m. Do you actively fly the thing when the wind is 'light'? Almost 90kg is also a bit heavy for those kites probably? I was struggling with the 9 once when a girl (60kg?) was having a blast on an 8. My brother has a 2011 Vegas in 12m and loves that kite and hated the dice. I don't have the dash but am bored on the sofa, maybe at least a bit of help ... Hope the kite still works for you after some more runs.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:35 pm

I had a 9m 2018 Dash. The first time I used it I felt the same. My Naish Bar was properly trimmed, I even have a bit more front line length to oversheet it. I had to put pigtails to the frontline attachments of the bridle. Then I had similar low end like my 8m Pivot which is fine, when you consider the kite‘s shape.

Matt_TYRCZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach , VA
Favorite Beaches: First Landing State Park, OBX
Style: booting, kiteloop, freestyle
Gear: CORE Kiteboarding, MYSTIC , CrazyFLy

Postby Matt_TYRCZ » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:59 pm

PARK - DASH always had bad low end , not much changed except colors

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:14 pm

I had both. They had/have Low End similar to other C-Shaped Hybrid kites. Of course a kite like the Pivot has more low end due its more open shape. I came from 12/9 Park 2014 to Pivot in 2015 when it was introduced and moved to 11/8 in sizes to cover the same wind range (low end to high end)

I believe the pigtail for the front line connection was measured too short on my Dash. Adding an extra pigtail solved it. Maybe it was a common problem.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:37 pm

Thanks Dirk, how long was the pigtail you added ? I will give it a try.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dirk » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:51 pm

Maybe around 7 cm

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:14 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:59 am
I bought a 9/11/14m Dash combo (2017) and a 2020 Naish ATB bar. I have been a long term Naish Torch rider (still have the Torch's). I find the Dash has Really really poor low end, worse than the same size Torch IMO. I have been riding the 14m Dash for a while now (87kg, 134cm Shinn Monk) and it needs a stupid amount of wind to come alive, the 14m need about 17/18m to get going and only become fun from +20mph.

Previously I had a 2013 14m Torch which had much better bottom end (could go from 12mph and fun at 15mph) than the 14m Dash. I find I need to put up a bigger Dash than I would Torch, does anyone else find the low end on the Dash really bad ? There are no real adjustments to make to the kite, it's trimmed correctly. I think Kiteworld found the same issue, when you read their review they never found the top end on the 8m in Cape Town and allude to a poor low end ("the Dash is Hungry for winds"):

https://www.kiteworldmag.com/gear/2018- ... 8m-review/
Don't know how 2017 performs, but I would say 2018 has noticeadble better low end compared to older Torches. Dash hasn't the static grunt the Torch has, however, that's not a definition of good low end...
Dash is different animal compared to Park.
Since you're considering lines adjustments, did you shorten back lines at the bar already?
My Dash had to settle for couple of sessions before getting to its own.
No worse low end by no means.
Bear in mind, that I replaced my 11 Dash w/ Torch. On the other hand, I kept my old Dash 14, specifically for the lighter days/winds.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:31 pm

Agree 100% with Ludmil here. I flew the 10 dash tho.

To me the dash had a lot more low end than the torch, but I do think the 14 torch was a bit magic. The DNA of the Dash is from the torch, but it is flatter and has more projected area from what I can remember. I think what I found was that it was slightly sensitive to the backline pressure so losening the backline pressure a bit helped.
Damn that kite is fast tho.

stoked_sender
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Naish Dash
Been thanked: 0

Postby stoked_sender » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:11 am

Just out of curiosity seeing all the wind ranges here what sort of conditions do you guys ride in? In my case it's usually a very choppy/wavy onshore/sideshore with currents so I always need even more power than for example say riding on a flat water.

Return to “Kitesurfing”