Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What a piece of shit town

Forum for kitesurfers
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What a piece of shit town

Postby grigorib » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:59 pm

I guess if you have an RV and taking it to a place where they don’t have non-annual tickets parking because of COVID but you park anyways and get a ticket - you can contest the parking ticket to be told the obvious.

Parking fees suck but they provide budget for communities.
If you drive an RV I assume you gotta reserve plenty of cash for parking which makes sense.

Next year I’m getting an annual pass and spend as much time as I can at Event Site.

Hood River is a summertime kiting paradise with little to no alternatives (Alaska, Caribbean) anywhere in US

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:51 pm

loco4viento wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:29 am
PinkNorthPride wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:18 pm
fernmanus wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:53 pm

Pinknorthpride, if you think you are morally superior to a retired schoolteacher because he drives an RV, you need to get outside of your bubble. I personally do not care for RV’s, but I don’t view the people that drive them as “despicable.”
Well there lyeth the basis of our disagreement.. I do indeed dwell within a bubble of my own perfection, quite happy in it, happy that is until some 32foot behemoth hoves into view either blocking the highway, or reducing the availability of space for others, whilst consuming God knows how many gallons per hour to have gotten there.
Well said and thank you for letting us know of your amazing virtue. You sound like you are more special than the OP and must be more special than most people I know. Your parents must be so proud. Congratulations!
My parents have long since departed this mortal coil, I am indeed 'special' my parents always said I had 'special neeeds' I shall never know to what extent they were proud that I had graduated from two to four line kites, nor indeed that their pride and joy never became a full blown bowmosexual like so many of his peers, but I do know they were happy that I didn't buy the equivalent of a small african village on wheels and park it front and centre in front of said peer group, bowmo or otherwise.
These users thanked the author PinkNorthPride for the post:
knotwindy (Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:18 pm

https://portofhoodriver.com/wp-content/ ... Signed.pdf

ahh.. its privately owned - well there you go..

The issue is probably simply lack of free easy access to the river then... always a problem when private entities have legal control over who can access the water and can tax anyone and make their own rules to suit them for anyone that wants to access it.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:00 pm

Kiteboard launching and landing allowed only from Sept 15 to April 15

coupdevill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: Hood River, Hatteras, SPI
Style: Chaotic
Gear: Slingshot & Ride Engine
Has thanked: 0

Postby coupdevill » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:00 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:57 pm
coupdevill wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:00 pm
The OP did such a wonderful of presenting his warm feelings, he lost me at POS Town! Is this the best person to be working with disabled children?

coup
So he got angry, but then it inspires you to question his disposition at his charitable activities??? Way to claim the moral high ground from a hole!

I think I would rather have him working with disabled children than many like you who have taken this opportunity to get as worked up as the OP did in the first place..
1) Sarcasm
2) Not looking for Moral high ground (duh)
3) Not worked up, see #1

coup

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:21 am

Back in the day 1989 -95 I could always find a spot at the hatchery knowing where all my friend secret keys were an shufing cars until that one dick parked an RV and screwed it’s for every one. No sympathy from me, long standing pet peeve.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:26 am

coupdevill wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:00 am
Matteo V wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:57 pm
coupdevill wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:00 pm
The OP did such a wonderful of presenting his warm feelings, he lost me at POS Town! Is this the best person to be working with disabled children?

coup
So he got angry, but then it inspires you to question his disposition at his charitable activities??? Way to claim the moral high ground from a hole!

I think I would rather have him working with disabled children than many like you who have taken this opportunity to get as worked up as the OP did in the first place..
1) Sarcasm
2) Not looking for Moral high ground (duh)
3) Not worked up, see #1

coup
Thank you for the clarification. Please put that in your post in which you are sarcastic (edit it), because there are a lot of ESL users here.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:58 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:24 am
It has nothing to do with windsurfing or localism the way you mean. Hood River does have a major traffic problem and parking nazis are just a part of that. The biggest problem in the gorge to get on the river to play with whatever gear you have is access. Railroads with ‘we don’t care about anything you have to say” attitude on both sides of the river limit it considerably. The biggest issue with the limited access is limited parking. So when someone shows up in rig that might take up 2 or 3 spaces people notice. And when you park to stir up the parking police they tend to notice a bit more. Don’t take it personally, you unintentionally walked into a bigger problem than was obvious. Sorry you didn’t stay and at least get some river fun.

Sorry for the late response, looks like I stirred up a hornets nest. The main point is not the ticket but the lack of appropriate parking, poorly written legalize on meter and the really bad attitude of the ticket writer. I'm happy and a bit jealous of all the folks in Sprinter type vans( they can easily park in one spot) and I always try to take up as !little room as possible, (I would love to have one but the boss says no to small.) When I parked in the Marina area I hung the back of my rig over the hill and only took up a sing!e car space no more than any other user that drove that day. I did get to kite but I guess I broke another law kiting off the marina beach, clearly marked no kiting ( I was one of about 20 people, does that make it right I have no idea?) my local spot has a very similar problem. Where only a few cars can park before the highway department has a problem with us. I'm trying to work with local administration to ease the problem making it easier and safer for every one. I guess bottom line, I've had the good fortune to kite all over the United States, the keys to Metro park Detroit Mi, to Dolphin island Al, to Wilson lake (center of Kansas), to Corpis Cristi and now up and down the Oregon and Washington coast. With multiple points in between. Never had a problem! I guess if the majority of (locals) want to keep it to themselves more power to them just don't expect a warm welcome at the next spot that feels the same way.
Last edited by Anthonyshopguy on Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:22 pm

andylc wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:19 am
If you want a considered response then perhaps start with a considered opinion. Is an entire town a piece of shit because you are unable to park what amounts to a bus without paying over the odds, in the midst of an extraordinary crisis which requires changes to the norm? How much does the parking enforcement guy get paid? Enough to get crap from you when you're unhappy about being told off for breaking the rules?
I'm sure the town, and many others like it, can do just fine without visitors who think they don't need to obey the rules, and are rude to people who are just doing their jobs.
How do I say this correctly? I agree with everything you said. But I attempted to follow the rules. I read the 2 pages of legaize. I paid for my spot. I found the one spot in the whole area that would not block another parking spot. I tried to be as conscientious as I could. Ever been stuck behind a slow moving RV that refused to pull over, I pull over if it's safe even if only one vehicle is behind me. I hate that I take up so much room but as I mentioned earlier it makes my wife happy and the buck stops there. Oh and my wife hates me pulling over as much as I do. And as far as the ticket guy not making much money and having to take my shit yeh you have a point but his response was way over the top. I understand but wouldn't it have been more polite to point out that parking had been reduced per covid precautions and maybe pointing out someplace I can park legally which did not exist outside of the permit area for a rig of my size. Oh and I know most of you don't travel in such a large rig but 32 feet is on the small end for a class A which is why we choice it and I gladly would have gotten shorter if I could have found it.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:54 pm

Daversj wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:44 am
Try bringing that rig to the New York’s Hamptons in the summer.😂 The locals call it the land of NO. Beaches are beautiful but all beaches require a parking sticker. Day passes can be had at some beaches but sell out early. You cant even park at the beach in the dead of winter without a sticker. Fines are 150-250 and enforced by an army of post pubescent traffic cops that can write 5k worth of tickets a day. Campers or RVs are only allowed at designated parks and require reservations months in advance during the high season. Off season Sept and October are better times to come. Wind sucks in August anyway.
Thanks for the info consider me warned. I had the pleasure to visit that area in the 90's and had a great experience with my family. But totally understand or really don't understand :thumb: the volume of people visiting the area now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”