Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What a piece of shit town

Forum for kitesurfers
Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

What a piece of shit town

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:13 pm

What a piece of S#$t town. Now I'm not talking about the people or the kiting, no malice intended to the locals who were friendly and helpful. THIS IS ABOUT THE TOWN OF HOOD RIVER. My wife and I travel a lot in our rv. Just came through HR about a month ago. I was so excited about kiting in such a legendary spot. I came in from the south by Mount Hood in the evening. Went down to the kiting area and chatted with some locals. Even at that point I was warned about parking!!😤. The next morning we drove down nice and early so we could get a parking spot in the front lot for 25$ for the day only to be informed that on weekends only permit holders could park there and a year permit for my RV would be 300$ I was then told I should do street parking. The area that we had parked in the night before was limited to 2 hours so that was not an option. So I found a pay spot where my rig was over the line by about 2 feet into a chained off day use area. Being very happy to find a spot for my 32 ft rig that would not bother other parkers. I walked over to the pay Station and read the 2 pages of legalise on the machine. Thinking I had covered the proper steps I paid for 4 hrs parking (max) and unloaded my scooter to go shopping with my wife. Arriving back in under an hour I was shocked to find a parking ticket on my rig. We have traveled over a hundred thousand miles all over the US. From the UP of Michigan to CC in Texas. In all those travels I have never gotten a driving, parking, or other ticket. So I ended up parking for free 1000' feet upstream by the marina beach. Which is posted ILLEGAL to kite from. I won't mention the long and unpleasant conversation I had with the DICK ticket guy but his comment was it would be better if we left and never came back to Hood river. Can I get a HALLELUJAH! I will never go back.

Oh a friend was there about a week later and described a similar situation and guess what either that ticket twit has a twin or once again was doing an excellent job of making sure that many people get a bad taste in their mouths from visiting the area. Oh and one last point. We had p!anned to stay at least a few days but left right after that.
I just thought of one more point my friend decided to purchase a season car pass for 150$ just to park close with no hassle for three days. 50$ dollars a day he can afford that I can't%%$#@ :argue: :cry: :angryfire:

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Re: What a piece of shit town

Postby andylc » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:24 pm

Way to tell everyone twice!

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:49 pm

lol, you parked in an illegal parking spot and got a parking ticket, and the whole town is a piece of shit. Alright.

The annual pass requirement is a COVID measure to reduce crowding and discourage short term travel from out of town, so they are not selling day passes this year.

If you never want to come back in your life we’ll be fine here without you. Your attitude over what is pretty much the smallest problem in the world (a parking ticket) in that you are so angry you need to vent to the entire world on the Internet about how our entire town is shit is one we are happy to do without.
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post (total 2):
skideeppow (Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:42 am) • Leon van Bergen (Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:39 am)
Rating: 6.06%

kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Postby kitelife » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:57 pm

Hood River is awesome! Sounds like you had a bad experience because of the covid Situation. Access to kite launches, parking, etc is a mess all up and down the west coast because of covid. Just be happy they still allow kiting unlike other places.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:13 pm

How come you have to pay to park?!

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:56 pm

I'm sure everyone in HR is all broken up that another freeloading RV jockey who contributes FA while using the facilities got a ticket. I'm sure all those visitors that use the towns hotels, restaurants and other trades thereby contributing to the local economy are also all cut up that 32 feet of their water access won't be denied them in future. I'm sure the term foxtrot oscar springs to all their thoughts on your missive.

Oh and as an aside in all my travels I've yet to come across a more friendly and welcoming town than HR, I miss my annual visits more than ever, not many places you can snowboard in the morning, kite at lunchtime and ride some stunning trails in the evening on a mountain bike, my advice to everyone, don't go through life without visiting the place at least once.
These users thanked the author PinkNorthPride for the post:
Kitetwin-1 (Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:59 am)
Rating: 3.03%

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:23 am

Buh Bye... :bye: :bye:

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:01 am

Trailers and RVs at the sailing/kiting sites suck, full stop.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:45 am

Anthonyshopguy wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:13 pm
What a piece of S#$t town. Now I'm not talking about the people or the kiting, no malice intended to the locals who were friendly and helpful.
That went over well!

Overpopulated area with winds more suitable to windsurfing, while in the middle of an epidemic/ pandemic, yielding a predictable response from those on this forum consider themselves locals.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Anthonyshopguy (Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:24 am

It has nothing to do with windsurfing or localism the way you mean. Hood River does have a major traffic problem and parking nazis are just a part of that. The biggest problem in the gorge to get on the river to play with whatever gear you have is access. Railroads with ‘we don’t care about anything you have to say” attitude on both sides of the river limit it considerably. The biggest issue with the limited access is limited parking. So when someone shows up in rig that might take up 2 or 3 spaces people notice. And when you park to stir up the parking police they tend to notice a bit more. Don’t take it personally, you unintentionally walked into a bigger problem than was obvious. Sorry you didn’t stay and at least get some river fun.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post (total 3):
Kitetwin-1 (Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:32 am) • madworld (Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:48 am) • Anthonyshopguy (Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:18 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Return to “Kitesurfing”