Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: yes
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Re: Duotone Dice 2021

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:18 am

Lisaped- I understand that lots of people don't care about the environment. I honestly think our new bags don't sacrifice anything by way of design or construction while decreasing our footprint.

Longwhitecloud- sounds like you and I ride very differently. I 100% ride down-the-line with the kite parked, using the wave for power and letting the kite drift when I'm in side- side-off conditions. The dice is a pretty choice tool if you do the same, but I understand that my style is not for everyone. The Neo is insanely quick and drifts really well if you like a more active kite.

-Dan

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Dan-at-Duotone wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:18 am
Lisaped- I understand that lots of people don't care about the environment. I honestly think our new bags don't sacrifice anything by way of design or construction while decreasing our footprint.

Longwhitecloud- sounds like you and I ride very differently. I 100% ride down-the-line with the kite parked, using the wave for power and letting the kite drift when I'm in side- side-off conditions. The dice is a pretty choice tool if you do the same, but I understand that my style is not for everyone. The Neo is insanely quick and drifts really well if you like a more active kite.

-Dan
I believe the bag fsbric is recycled and made by. https://www.waste2wear.com/
Airush is using the same stuff in their bags.

Smaller size, smaller boxes less shipping cost/impact. Easier to travel with.

I am dead set against zippers. They will fail and I especially don’t like zippers on tight bags as they fail sooner snd there is always the risk of catching the kite in them. Zippers make the bags throw away items.

How about making the bag optional like the pump? Mystic, dakine, etc. make great simple stuff bags without zippers.

Duotone has a great kite extension bag, no zippers and it can fold up into a small bag. Make that the default bag. Great for travel.

And the day backpack with the fold over hood is a great design for a kite backpack, no zippers. Use that deign as the basis with a pump and bar mounts and straps for a board, something that will last for years.

1F0F05FD-E24D-42BB-BE0E-83B3B59C5135.png
6ADA7D60-850A-45A0-A9D2-61B4B2941F08.png

danlar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 62kg
Local Beach: Santa Marianita, Ecuador
Favorite Beaches: I have kite in Perou, Bresil, Cabarete, Grenadines, Hatteras and Exuma
Style: freerider, freestyle
Gear: Rebel 9m 2020, Rebel 11m 2020, Juice 15m 2020, CrazyFly Raptor 137/43, Shinn Bronq Luigi 135/41, Jaime SLS 142/43
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby danlar » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Dan-at-Duotone wrote:

-Dan
Hi Dan

I am a Duotone fan but I must say the new bag are way too small. I must agree with some comments here, its time for Duotone to come out with a no-zip bag.

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:40 am

purdyd wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:20 pm

How about making the bag optional like the pump? Mystic, dakine, etc. make great simple stuff bags without zippers.
Please don't give them ideas to charge us extras again ...
These users thanked the author maffhieu for the post:
andikite (Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:16 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:46 am

Dan-at-Duotone wrote:

-Dan
Set it and forget it, pretty much the worst advice you could give someone getting into wave riding.

Dan-at-Duotone
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: yes
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:50 pm

Purdyd- yes it's waste2wear.

Danlar- as I mentioned earlier I won't argue against complaints about the size of the bag. Some people like smaller, more compact bags, but I agree that most people would rather have a larger bag for easier put away.

Add far as changing to a zipperless bag, I don't think that's a bad idea but I have no idea what our plans are for bags in the future. I'll definitely bring up that idea.

As far as selling bags separately I like that idea, however maffhieu just showed why it is a tough one to roll out... Fifteenish years ago kites always came with a pump. When brands started selling them separately, charging $X for a pump and selling the kite for $X less the market and this forum went crazy claiming that brands were double charging. I tend to think the same thing would happen if we made bags ala carte... People would bitch that last year the kite came with a bag and now we're nickel-and-diming. That said I think it would be great if we could make that happen. One aspect to consider though is shipping... From factory to warehouse to shop to customer the kites need to be protected from chafe and such. There would need to be something...

Longwhitecloud- I totally agree... That style of wave riding, kite parked, generally unhooked and down the line, is not for beginners. Similarly I would recommend the Neo over the dice for beginner wave kiters. Though it is not a difficult kite to fly, of all the kites in our lineup I would consider the dice to be one of the least beginner friendly models. That said there are more advanced kiters who prefer that type of riding and the dice is really amazing for that style.

-Dan

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:29 pm

Dan-at-Duotone wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:50 pm

As far as selling bags separately I like that idea, however maffhieu just showed why it is a tough one to roll out... Fifteenish years ago kites always came with a pump. When brands started selling them separately, charging $X for a pump and selling the kite for $X less the market and this forum went crazy claiming that brands were double charging. I tend to think the same thing would happen if we made bags ala carte... People would bitch that last year the kite came with a bag and now we're nickel-and-diming. That said I think it would be great if we could make that happen. One aspect to consider though is shipping... From factory to warehouse to shop to customer the kites need to be protected from chafe and such. There would need to be something...

-Dan
Yes and I still have -a old crappy pump or two lying around all they did was fill up landfills

Best kiteboarding used to ship in a minimal sleeve and I think the bag was optional. The sleeve was much like the duotone extension bag.

https://www.bestkiteboarding.com/welcom ... gutenberg/

I’d vote for shipping with the duotone kite extension bag. As it can be used as a small bag

I like the board riding Maui round stuff bags

Pks makes a nice stuff bag.

All of these options are lighter and less expensive and have less impact on the environment than the current model, they are also better to travel with as backpacks add too much weight and bulk.

Oh and no zippers ;)

And I suppose if the price actually went down, it would be an easier sell.
429E799A-90AA-4AFA-988B-450908B0DBDA.jpeg
CF49A9FE-239D-4A6A-A064-61754A62F8F5.jpeg
CF49A9FE-239D-4A6A-A064-61754A62F8F5.jpeg (88.15 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
F05C0977-6EF1-439D-A1D6-8B3CE6B3142F.png
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
Smartarse88 (Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:08 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:53 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:46 am
Set it and forget it, pretty much the worst advice you could give someone getting into wave riding.
So what are you really disagreeing with besides that they put that one word in the article? Is the Dice really easy in the waves? Just like the Neo? Doesn't make a difference in the waves either since you have to fly the kite nonstop? Doesn't matter that you might have to actively fly the kite to get back upwind? Wind dips on you and you are still fine on the size you put up?

eenzwemvijver
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oesterdam - The Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: El Gouna - Egypt
Kappalady lagoon - Sri Lanka
Mauritius - le Morne
Style: old school
Gear: North Orbit 12 -10- 8m 2021
Naish pivot 9 and 7 2020 and 2021

DSD intel stallion 5,2
Boardschmiede 135 x 40 , Duotone Jaime extreme 133 x 40
Has thanked: 0

Postby eenzwemvijver » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:37 pm

That they make the bags from recycling materials is very good , we enjoy Mother Nature so we have to take care of her . But even then the bags can be bigger and without zipper .
Now it looks like duotone is squeezing everything out to make more money and that is not good for the brands name .
I love the kites but those small things are wrong choices for a business .

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic