Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leaking problem with Naish Torch 2011

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Re: Leaking problem with Naish Torch 2011

Postby edt » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:54 pm
but the valve is actually glued to the outside of the strut, then I agree with edt's recommendation. Re-glue to the outside if that's actually how the valve is attached. :thumb:

You can take a look at the brand new female and male vales that lets you see exactly how the glue is placed on the valves from the factory. the female (strut) valve is the one closest to us, the male valve (bladder) is the one furthest from the camera. The lettering (tearaid) is the sticky section. Because you place the strut fabric over the strut (instead of the strut onto the fabric it's very easy to get wrinkles, get 2 people to do the placement if you buy a new valve. For glue you can just move it around, so one person is fine.

Last edited by edt on Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
FLandOBX (Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:04 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:11 pm

OP what size is the kite? I sent you a PM about bladders.

Fixing the Octopussy is not that hard. I can't remember when they reoriented the zipper, but I think it is was more recent then 2011, so on small sizes it could be a bit hard to get access to skinny struts. Personally I would not re-glue that valve, I guess you cold try. There should be a set that helps you test if the reglue works..it came with the kite. Personally, I would get a new bladder. The key is to get a bladder that is atleast the same size as the one you have...but preferrably bigger. I think you can get a newer bladder and make that work.

Like has been mentioned the new kites have an external system. It seems to work fine. Like I have always said, I prefer a one pump system over a non-onepump system, and I tend to slightly favor the octopussy system simply because it worked and it was clean, but I don't really think the new system has lost a step. I love the new inflation system. Absolutely stellar. :thumb: :thumb:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:21 pm

I would definitely not give up on this kite do the repair. If only because the female went out and the male is intact, the struts are way easier than doing the main bladder. new bladder, new valve or a restick with aquaseal whatever you like. There's a chance you'll be able to ride it as is for another year or so without having to do another valve.

I agree btw that fixing the octopus is not hard. The problem is that it is so time consuming. If you make a mistake on the regular one pump you pull off the connectors fix the twist reinsert no problem. For the octopus you are doing all the fiddly little strut inserts all over again takes a long time compared to regular kites.
Last edited by edt on Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
tautologies (Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:24 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:25 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:21 pm
I would definitely not give up on this kite do the repair. If only because the female went out and the male is intact, the struts are way easier than doing the main bladder. new bladder, new valve or a restick with aquaseal whatever you like. There's a chance you'll be able to ride it as is for another year or so without having to do another valve.
I think you are right. I've been thinking...tts probably worth trying to reglue. You can test how well it works with the test kite that came with the kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”