Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Kite foiling is dying sooo fast

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:55 pm

I still can't believe that such enormous boards are going to be any fun at all in waves.

cor
Frequent Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite foiling is dying sooo fast.

Postby cor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:43 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:11 am
I think one of the key factors is that kite foil progressive with regards to getting air/freestyle (and not just the odd backroll/jump) is pretty much dead to all but a very select few.
Weird. Here, more and more are getting into big air/freestyle with kite foils. I guess it depends on the spot.

Many here have tried Foil Wings, especially older guys with a windsurfing background or people who don´t want to do freestyle anyway. For those, Foil wings may make sense. Everyone else who tried it is back to kiting now because it´s more fun.

Apart from these observations, I do agree with cdbxyz; Foil winging - especially on flat water - just looks so unappealing, so weird, so clunky. And this doesn´t even change with progression! I´ve seen one of the "Foil Wing Pros" on the lake last week and I do appreciate the skill and effort he must have put into learning those tricks, but - I am sorry to say this - it just looks awful.
These users thanked the author cor for the post:
flaps1111 (Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:15 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:29 pm

It's all a conspiracy to bring gear trailers back -
4493796.jpg
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post (total 2):
tegirinenashi (Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:54 pm) • shred_da_gorge (Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:19 pm)
Rating: 16.67%

neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip

Postby neilhapgood » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:56 pm

jkrug wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:07 pm
winging takes more wind. i only see wingers out when i'm on an 8m kite or less. in that sense, it is like windsurfing. and yes, i had the gear and tried it. not for me (had bad shoulders already). i see the point of it in limited/difficult launch spots, but around here on the open ocean, kite foiling is actually ramping up and winging is a fringe. no hate, just observation.
when you say 'bad shoulders' is winging bad for shoulders? I have had surgery on mine after dislocations so very wary of any sport that might put them at risk of dislocating again. Is winging a bad sport for people with shoulder dislocation issues or a different shoulder problem?

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Spitfire Foil / GoFoil / Ozone wings
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:55 pm

OK, I'll bite.

I figure I am on session 50 or so winging, fairly solid intermediate. I mostly gave up on kiting this summer to focus on winging, with the goal of gaining competency and muscle memory to be ready for surf season. Last couple years, my passion has moved from kiting to sup foil and now surf foil as first priority. Wing is a natural extension of that.

Thoughts:

Kiting was already dying before winging came along. I started in 2012, the community was vibrant and growing fast, it was friendly, welcoming, and fun. There was a cool factor. Seems to me it has gone back to being fringe, growth and interest have slowed or stopped. Are there pro twintippers any more? Are there still foil racers? Does anyone actually care about flippety flippety strapless surf tricks other than the competitors? Other than a brief wakeup for King of the Air, kiting in the media is increasingly one big <yawn>. Maybe my kitesurf foil-hater buddies are right, foiling killed it. Now kiting is like windsurfing, mostly old guys complaining that it's never windy any more, not like the old days.

Similar to tka, I see most of the new wingers locally are kite foilers on big surf foils, natural progression there for the surf minded. Others are sup/surf foilers, already have the foil, just add wing. I see winging is attractive to wind sports newbs….no lessons needed, learning curve not remotely dangerous or scary. Bring it to the lake on breezy days and the spouse and kids can even play around. A lot more family friendly.

As jkrug observes, winging isn’t that much fun in light wind. IMHO too much work for what you get, kind of like kitesurfing waves with a 17m in 8kts, you can kinda just barely do it, but it doesn’t have the magic. At low wind speeds, kite foiling is way more fun for me than winging. Though this may change when there is surf – as despite what many KF'ers claim, kite foiling in waves is NOT surfing, not even close. But surf foiling in light wind is also excellent, as surface conditions don’t matter and the crowds disappear. So I am not sure if winging will be a goal in light wind surf either.

Huge board: I have progressed from 7.6 sup foil to 6.8 sup foil and now a 5’ wing specific board, 70L or so. No problem getting it in the daughter’s Honda fit. My kitefoil board is 4’. I rode a 3’ kitewakeboard for quite a while, but tired of light wind swims and see little advantage to the pocket boards other than supposed cool factor. I could paddle my 5’ for a km without issue….swimming a km in the ocean in a wetsuit dragging a pocket foil and kite? Dunno.

I cultivate the kook look like ozbungy. I am pretty much the last person at the beach to still wear a helmet, as personal safety is way uncool. I have recently upped my kook quotient greatly by now wearing a shorts harness over my wetsuit. I do so proudly as a nod to the kiter heritage, carrying on as a rollerblader of the sea.

Injuries: winging has no shoulder issues I can see yet. Once trimmed it’s about the same pull as holding a kite bar. In light wind it is harder work though. In learning stage the tennis elbow got sore again, while attempting to muscle it before learning how to economize strength. In high winds, can sometimes be tough on lats on the back arm (sheeting in). Pain points seems similar to kiting: in light winds whipping the kite around one to keep line tension, or in high winds overpowered working hard to hold it down, and in the middle when trimmed, easy peasy.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NewBrighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool for 6 months in summer
Flag beach on fuerteventura for 6 months in winter.
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach fuerteventura, off season/6months
Home - NewBrighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 120,carbon 2020 edition
101cm + 82cm Moses Carbon masts
Moses- 633/483 on a 701 fuse
Moses- 720 balz pro/425 on longer 739 fuse
Ozone Hyperlink V1 ultra light 5mtr
Ozone V2 Hyperlink 7mtr + 9mtr
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kite 11mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in,23 mtr lines
duotone click bar 2020
massive grin

Postby Foil » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:02 pm

they have a place in places that get decent winds or just good size sea swells or even better both, at times a wing (sail bit) is simply not needed just a paddle to get into the swell lines,
I have had the benefit of watching Gunnar at flag beach take up the sport as a complete newbie and sort out just how to get a great deal of enjoyment from this odd looking sport, using and developing the right size and shapes of board required to get the best from your ability level and conditions at your spot, flag beach and its surrounding wave beach locations must be one of the best locations for this sport, gunnar is a pro kitesurfer, pro kite foiler, and x pro windsurfer, and I know he put a lot of time and effort into this new sport, it did not look easy at first, but he has made this sport now look stylish, flowing and "easy"
If I could get going as easy as gunnar makes this look on what looks like a very small board then i am in, but I fear it might take me forever to get near this level

Big Wally
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tanzania
Favorite Beaches: Wherever there is Blue water
Style: Ocean only
Gear: Undecided
Has thanked: 0

Postby Big Wally » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:11 pm

When you weigh 245 PIES staring a wing is a pain in the KATOOTS. UNLIKE starting with a kite.

BW

Jfactor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco, 3rd Ave
Gear: Slingshot SST 4, 6, 8, Flite 10m, Lift 110, 170

Postby Jfactor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:22 pm

I've been winging for a few months now and I've got some initial thoughts on the comments above.

1-It's not cheaper at the moment. It's the same price. Part of this issue is because used gear hasn't flooded the market yet. Once we get a few generations of gear coming through, it'll be easier to piece together your kit for a better price. Currently, you'll be spending about the same amount as one would for a new set of kitefoil gear, if you had to buy kites too.

2-Why is everyone quoting 180cm boards? That's maybe for the utmost beginner who has never even foiled before. Last I checked, some first day twin tippers are on 165cm boards, so that's a good comparison to make. Beginners need bigger boards across all aspects of wind sports. After 5-10 sessions, most people should be riding something that is 135cm-160cm. I've know plenty of kite foilers who regularly ride 135cm boards, and even classify them as "pocket" boards.

3-It may look dumb to you, but idgaf. If you're doing this sport to look cool, I feel sorry for you. It's fun to learn new things and be a total newbie for a few days. It helps grow your skill set and it has actually helped my kitefoiling too.

4-It's not a good light wind sport. I think kite foiling is still king here. It is in fact, too much work to pump up onto the foil. In general, it's WAY more work than kiting. Holding the wing without a harness is an absolute chore. I move the a harness and it's far better. I'd say that if you're after a relaxing sport, winging isn't for you.

5-It's still evolving. To me it's just a surf sport, good for riding swell or your small beach break. Seems like every day there is some coming up with new things to do on it. Maybe we'll see freestyle comps, races, who knows! I don't think it's going anywhere for a while...

Every time I see comments from people bagging on winging, I envision this video:

These users thanked the author Jfactor for the post (total 2):
juandesooka (Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:34 pm) • atomic-chomik (Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:01 am)
Rating: 16.67%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:34 pm

Funny video.

The more options the better for us water lovers.

I for myself love to feel the power of the kite, and enjoy it every time I am on the water with my twintip feeling the elements and get airborne...so never will get into winging.

But a great tool for places with no space and those who are afraid of kites.

Sure, we might loose some people to winging...but maybe it also brings in people to kiting...because one thing is for sure: jumping is not comparable at all !
And as we know it's the biggest attraction of our sport...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Spitfire Foil / GoFoil / Ozone wings
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:43 pm

Jfactor wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:22 pm
Every time I see comments from people bagging on winging, I envision this video:
The grumpy old skiers grump on the new snowboarding variation. The youngsters flock to the new thing. The ski makers wake the F up and adopt the technology into skis, making them easier to use and more versatile in varied conditions. The youngsters flock back to the new thing. The snowboarders are now the grumpy old guys.

The windsurfers grump on the new kiting variation. The youngsters flock to the new thing. The windsurf makers wake the F up and adopt the technology into windsurfers (foiling), making them easier to use and more versatile in varied conditions. The youngsters flock back to the new thing. The kiters are now the grumpy old guys.

The kiters grump on the new winging variation. The youngsters flock to the new thing....etc etc etc. Hey soon I will be a grumpy winger, or maybe I am ahead of the curve and already am! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”