Gear: Naish, airush, slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite foiling is dying sooo fast

Postby Kiterisland1 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:10 am

deniska wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:18 pm
Kiterisland1 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:57 pm
Just was looking on YouTube and other platforms to see some new kite movies and gear reviews to feed the stoke a bit. They are harder to come by, every one of my favourite channels are maybe putting out one kite video per 30 wing videos.
An example, on real Watersports channel you have to look back 41 videos ago, or 4months, for their last kite related video :-? I think this lack of screen time will have a big impact on kiting. Will get less popular.
Also if you kitefinder guys are on here, please keep making videos, the best by far.
Not that surprising, if you consider that:
1) nothing really changed in kites for the last 5-6 years with very few small exceptions (Aulula, some minor enhancements to foil kites and hydrofoils)
People got really tired of comparing the color patterns between the years.. thus not alot of reviews...
Wings, on the other hand, are still on 1 or second version iteration for most players, so lots of experimenting with shapes, parameters, etc
2) stores are pushing wings to much bigger crowd, not just ex-kiters.. so yes there is much more effort in grabbing that segment while it's hot
3) Overall level of players - most folks are still interested in seeing wingers boosting 1-2m and doing a backroll... For kites you would need to do 30m+ jump and double megaloop to get some clicks :-)
Lol, All very good points

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:12 pm

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:14 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:12 pm
https://fb.watch/cDzaWH2sFr/ :lol:
that's funny ;-)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:56 pm

Well,

if we want to completely kill off the forum,

lets use captcha, right?
410E49AD-DBAD-42F9-A736-0D845D93E2D2.png
This is bad...

How on Earth did I use max attempts with one single click on Reply?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:13 pm

andylc wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:09 pm
Interesting - thanks. No I wouldn’t ever go out in offshore winds kiting but I had assumed you wouldn’t with winging either, unless you were super confident.

I have to say so far most of the wing foilers I have seen whilst kiting seem to be doing a whole lot of nothing before usually giving up and coming ashore. The only ones I’ve seen having actual sun have been on videos!
One of the guys I spoke to did say he went in offshore conditions as it flattened the waves off nicely. He was using the wing to get out to the waves (downwind) and would then use wave power to get back in again. He wasn't specific about how often he had actually done this though.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:58 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:13 pm
andylc wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:09 pm
Interesting - thanks. No I wouldn’t ever go out in offshore winds kiting but I had assumed you wouldn’t with winging either, unless you were super confident.

I have to say so far most of the wing foilers I have seen whilst kiting seem to be doing a whole lot of nothing before usually giving up and coming ashore. The only ones I’ve seen having actual sun have been on videos!
One of the guys I spoke to did say he went in offshore conditions as it flattened the waves off nicely. He was using the wing to get out to the waves (downwind) and would then use wave power to get back in again. He wasn't specific about how often he had actually done this though.

When learning, we have often ridden in sideshore maybe a bit offshore, but wind coming from over the city and high hills a bit away - USELESS and risky with a kite, no problems with a wing :-)

8) Peter

j_dog
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Canada
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: AIRUSH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby j_dog » Mon May 23, 2022 8:24 am

Interesting observations from the forum. I will state that at my local spot and over areas I travel to, the winging crowd is definitely increasing. I don't think kiting will go away, but I think winging is growing at a faster rate than kiting at this time. Should be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Return to “Kitesurfing”