Gear: Naish, airush, slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite foiling is dying sooo fast

Postby Kiterisland1 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:10 am

deniska wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:18 pm
Kiterisland1 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:57 pm
Just was looking on YouTube and other platforms to see some new kite movies and gear reviews to feed the stoke a bit. They are harder to come by, every one of my favourite channels are maybe putting out one kite video per 30 wing videos.
An example, on real Watersports channel you have to look back 41 videos ago, or 4months, for their last kite related video :-? I think this lack of screen time will have a big impact on kiting. Will get less popular.
Also if you kitefinder guys are on here, please keep making videos, the best by far.
Not that surprising, if you consider that:
1) nothing really changed in kites for the last 5-6 years with very few small exceptions (Aulula, some minor enhancements to foil kites and hydrofoils)
People got really tired of comparing the color patterns between the years.. thus not alot of reviews...
Wings, on the other hand, are still on 1 or second version iteration for most players, so lots of experimenting with shapes, parameters, etc
2) stores are pushing wings to much bigger crowd, not just ex-kiters.. so yes there is much more effort in grabbing that segment while it's hot
3) Overall level of players - most folks are still interested in seeing wingers boosting 1-2m and doing a backroll... For kites you would need to do 30m+ jump and double megaloop to get some clicks :-)
Lol, All very good points

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:12 pm

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:14 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:12 pm
https://fb.watch/cDzaWH2sFr/ :lol:
that's funny ;-)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:56 pm

Well,

if we want to completely kill off the forum,

lets use captcha, right?
410E49AD-DBAD-42F9-A736-0D845D93E2D2.png
This is bad...

How on Earth did I use max attempts with one single click on Reply?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:13 pm

andylc wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:09 pm
Interesting - thanks. No I wouldn’t ever go out in offshore winds kiting but I had assumed you wouldn’t with winging either, unless you were super confident.

I have to say so far most of the wing foilers I have seen whilst kiting seem to be doing a whole lot of nothing before usually giving up and coming ashore. The only ones I’ve seen having actual sun have been on videos!
One of the guys I spoke to did say he went in offshore conditions as it flattened the waves off nicely. He was using the wing to get out to the waves (downwind) and would then use wave power to get back in again. He wasn't specific about how often he had actually done this though.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:58 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:13 pm
andylc wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:09 pm
Interesting - thanks. No I wouldn’t ever go out in offshore winds kiting but I had assumed you wouldn’t with winging either, unless you were super confident.

I have to say so far most of the wing foilers I have seen whilst kiting seem to be doing a whole lot of nothing before usually giving up and coming ashore. The only ones I’ve seen having actual sun have been on videos!
One of the guys I spoke to did say he went in offshore conditions as it flattened the waves off nicely. He was using the wing to get out to the waves (downwind) and would then use wave power to get back in again. He wasn't specific about how often he had actually done this though.

When learning, we have often ridden in sideshore maybe a bit offshore, but wind coming from over the city and high hills a bit away - USELESS and risky with a kite, no problems with a wing :-)

8) Peter

j_dog
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Canada
Style: Strapless surf/foil strapless
Gear: Airush/Ocean Rodeo
Been thanked: 0

Postby j_dog » Mon May 23, 2022 8:24 am

Interesting observations from the forum. I will state that at my local spot and over areas I travel to, the winging crowd is definitely increasing. I don't think kiting will go away, but I think winging is growing at a faster rate than kiting at this time. Should be interesting to see what happens in the future.

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Mon May 23, 2022 10:35 am

Partly there is a FOMO in my area, several guys who took the step for reasons such as novelty, being burned out of the increasingly demanding competition equipment and now compete as amateurs in wingfoiling, guys who came from windsurfing or even SUP. The advantages for the ex-kiters was that they could use spots where they couldn't launch a kite before and so they could ride at home.... Finally they need more wind and do more miles looking for wind. LOL.
For coastal breezes kitefoling is clearly superior. You can see how they stop doing well when the wind drops to 12 knots.
These users thanked the author flaps1111 for the post:
Bill C (Mon May 23, 2022 2:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Tue May 24, 2022 11:40 am

I hope that as many folks as possible will switch to winging. Gives me more space and less hassle with my kiting :lol:

But joking aside: I decided to wait 2-3 years before I´ll buy my first winging kit. Quality and efficiency will increase, price will decrease. Letting the early adopters mature the products...

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Tue May 24, 2022 12:03 pm

I tried it last week, and although it's fairly easy to learn I did not enjoy it much. I could get up on foil at the end of a 3 hours session. But I felt the board was too clumsy and big and the pumping is stupid. The wing is also not as light as I thought, basically with a small single skin it feels as if you're not holding anything and the wing is just in the way more for me. I don't see the appeal honestly, other than opening up spots close to my city that I'm not allowed to kite at.

Return to “Kitesurfing”