Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast england
Favorite Beaches: south coast england
Style: freeride
Gear: naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite foiling is dying sooo fast

Postby andyjiggs » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:06 pm

Got a 4m Peak 4 now. The 3 4 and 5 is a great quiver.
Been kitesurfing 22 years now and still can’t wait to get out kite foiling.
Even if I do end up winging, won’t be giving up kite foiling anytime soon.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:58 pm

andyjiggs wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:06 pm
Got a 4m Peak 4 now. The 3 4 and 5 is a great quiver.
Been kitesurfing 22 years now and still can’t wait to get out kite foiling.
Even if I do end up winging, won’t be giving up kite foiling anytime soon.

True, really fun and a lot faster to set up :thumb:

I do both, so rarely use my 3 and 4 m2 Peaks now, but 5 and/or 6 m2 Peak is perfect for 9-12 knots where wingfoil sucks, compared :naughty:

When 4 m2 Peak a 5 m2 Wing is spot on.

8) Peter

andyjiggs
Medium Poster

Postby andyjiggs » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:08 pm

Haven’t leapt into winging as don’t get a rolling swell and no waves to talk about unless it’s howling and then I’m twin tip and boosting.
Look on with envy at clips on YouTube of rolling swell. Could travel but too easy and convenient to be on the water in 10 mins.

andyjiggs
Medium Poster

Postby andyjiggs » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:22 pm

Have you tried the Triton T1 for both winging and kitefoiling by any chance Peter or is it to much of a compromise ?

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic

Postby Boston kiter » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:14 am

bragnouff wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:25 am
I keep doing both. Below 13-14kts is definitely kite foil territory. 8 and 5m Peak. Once I'm comfortably powered on the 5m Peak (which seems to be around 15kts), I can consider winging on a 5m.
If I'm limited in time, I'll do kitefoil/Peak as the kitefoil board is already assembled in the van, and the Peak setup/packdown is superfast.
Otherwise it's just a matter of conditions, and mood of the day.
Advantage of the wing is on the even deeper wind angles downwind, even if the Peak is already much better than a LEI for that.

My 6m wing only gets used when kiting is a bit sketchy, either due to the spot or to the wind direction causing lots of lulls, otherwise, where both options are the go, it feels a bit big and cumbersome to handle, compared to the lively feeling of a 5Peak.

Spoilt with choices! But it's pretty clear that wingfoiling is not a light wind sport. It is for windsurfers or kiters who have never experienced foiling, but their idea of "light wind" is 12kts+.
Whats the range on the 8M peak??

Thanks

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:30 am

Boston kiter wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:14 am
Whats the range on the 8M peak??

Thanks
I'm over 95kg, on a ~1000cm2 surf foil, I start at 9-10kts. I switch to the 5 over 12-13kts. Not because I need to, but because I can, and the 5 is definitely more nimble and more exciting to fly.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
Boston kiter (Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:35 am

andyjiggs wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:22 pm
Have you tried the Triton T1 for both winging and kitefoiling by any chance Peter or is it to much of a compromise ?

In short (if it is me you are asking, a bit in doubt as many Peters I assume):

It is too low AR to work well for experienced wingfoilers.

Where we need GLIDE :naughty:

When learning, and I first found out to carve tight on small waves, I wanted low span fast turning foilwings.

But later (now), I want smaller but higher AR foilwings which can keep up with the wave speed when wing parked in hand, so a foilwing which can glide very very long, as opposed to low AR foilwings which are quite bad for wingfoiling now.

For kitefoil I would think the T1 is great, just like any low AR bigger freeride wing, but simpler.
VERY different foilwings, eventhough the areas are similar, for the two sports - and I USE very different wings AR wise now (but not for starters, where turning was attractive at first wingfoiling)

So one could say too much of a compromise, but this is in respect to foilwing AR and not size.
Kitefoil freeride/wave = low AR.
Wingfoil = medium to high AR.

T1 will work fine for wingfoil, and the lower drag not having a fuselage and stab, will help glide.
But it won't glide as well as higher aspect classic setups is my take.

8) Peter

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:27 am

airsail wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:23 am
We now have purely wingfoilers taking up kitefoil, sick of watching us our having fun in the light stuff when they are beach-bound. It’s good watching them try and learn kite control skills
I'm seeing this also. I'm usually ripping around wingers in 10 to 15 knots wind .

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:51 am

richy-c wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:27 am
airsail wrote:
We now have purely wingfoilers taking up kitefoil, sick of watching us our having fun in the light stuff when they are beach-bound. It’s good watching them try and learn kite control skills
I'm seeing this also. I'm usually ripping around wingers in 10 to 15 knots wind .
Same here. Many wingers (former kiters) go (back) to kitefoiling as they realise that the low end of kitefoiling is a different league compared to winging (unless you are a very advanced winger..) and their water (and fun) time increases dramatically with a kite. I live in a light wind spot where the windstrength allows you to kitefoil virtually every day but "properly" wing only a handful of days a months..

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:40 pm

Qiter wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:51 am
richy-c wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:27 am
airsail wrote:
Same here. Many wingers (former kiters) go (back) to kitefoiling as they realise that the low end of kitefoiling is a different league compared to winging (unless you are a very advanced winger..) and their water (and fun) time increases dramatically with a kite. I live in a light wind spot where the windstrength allows you to kitefoil virtually every day but "properly" wing only a handful of days a months..
I live in an area with very little wind in the summer. The wingers that we have here are pretty good in light wind and they have all massive wings like 8M or 9M. The best one get going around 10 knots. But still I had many many sessions around 8 to 10 knots where the kite foilers are riding for hours and having a blast and the wingners are shaking their wings trying to get going and they come back frustrated. Unquestionably there is a light wind advantage to kite foiling and when all you get is a few days a week around 10 knots it's a pretty big reason to keep kite foiling going.

Return to “Kitesurfing”