Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite foiling is dying sooo fast

Forum for kitesurfers
PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite foiling is dying sooo fast

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Sat May 28, 2022 7:50 pm

20338311-8D28-4E73-AAAA-572CD417FFB3.png
SCT
20338311-8D28-4E73-AAAA-572CD417FFB3.png (29.71 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:18 pm
It is always amazing to read stories like this :rollgrin:

So many looking at wingfoil and deducting it "can not be fun" :roll:

Just like when we started kitefoiling - almost everyone said: Looks sloppy and can not be fun.

And look now, around here foil (all types) are the majority of kite/wind/wing surfers - and in other countries I believe it is big too.

Reminds me of a forum poster here, he wrote he had tried kitefoil, but did not find it fun, so he rides a big waveboard with a 17 m2 kite instead - each to their own, but I do not need to say more, right?

Somewhat the same here, we try to "think" how it is, without having any, or sufficient experience to know :naughty:

Some ride both TT and Surfboards, with kites - these two disciplines are even further apart than kitefoil and wingfoil in my experience :D

Just an observation noone can use for anything, sorry, I know - but I am smiling when I read some of the postings here :D

8) Peter
:thumb:

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Sun May 29, 2022 2:54 am

This thread was posed in the first post and perfectly answered in the 2nd post. All the rest is unnecessary but here we are.

I can put my hand up and say I've had an overreaction against winging because of the massive hype at the moment. And the fact that a lot of kite companies are only starting to separate their business/promotional streams. I have a carefully curated instagram account for pure kite pics and vids, with a little tow, prone, and dock start for variation. It's taken the last 2 years for kite companies to start realising that kitesurfers/kitefoilers don't want to be bombarded with wing content. Most kiters have seen enough and either decided for or against, and those against simply aren't interested. You can't just smoosh us all together and expect everyone to play nice. If that seems weird, I feel the same about wakeboarding, windsurfing, SUPfoil etc. They're great but I have no interest in watching those vids.

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Sun May 29, 2022 8:33 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:41 pm
Oldman_Dave wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:07 am
You missed the absolutely huge Cons (in my personal order):
Kitefoil almost always outperforms wing: faster, smoother & more power on tap = continuously on the foil rather than periods on and off and slogging along double pumping.
Massive battleship of a board, heavy and can't turn
Massive foil under the board, can't turn
2 leashes to wrangle when you stack
Looking at a sail unless you're totally flagged out, can't see downwind
2 trips to carry your gear from car to beach & disassembly every time

Of your Pros: only No. 2 is relevant to most people. Downwind is fine kite foiling if you have any experience. Wind dying happens rarely, and foil kites will stay in the sky in all but zero.

However there's no disputing that for pure wave riding a wing does it better. There's simply no way to flag and hold a kite like you can with a wing.
Likewise there's simply no way to send a wing in a 30m loop to gather enough power spike to pull a small board out of the water.
[..]
The massive board/foil is absolutely the deal breaker for me. Just ... why? What a step backwards.

The leashes are comedy gold -- people getting tangled up in them, tangling around the foil, breaking and the wing going tumbleweeding across the lake... Don't ever change!

Nobody here does pure wave riding; in fact, the best they manage is getting on a wave and riding in a straight line. I can do that, I know cos I follow them around doing it :D

They do have the low wind advantage on me, but my board is 11L and I refuse to use a kite bigger than 10m. And I don't have to pump.
Massive boards? Slow foils? Yea, thats called beginner winging 101.

After a year getting good wingfoiling I can now comfortably ride 35L/4'10x22 2.5kg board in 10 knots.Using a High aspect 1100 foil. Turns nearly as fast as my kitefoil board. Super quick and nearly no difference shooting upwind; Id say maybe better. I can just pump for a minute if the wind totally drops.
Under 10 knots I commonly out-ride kitefoilers with my 60L 5'x24 and 1850 wing. Yea its a bit slower but Im actually riding more and longer.

I cant tell you how many times I was just riding light side-off shore/off shore winds with ease while kitefoilers was just watching on land. Tried to ride, dropped the kite, back to land cursing.
Yea if you have 5k worth of kitefoiling ram air race gear I guess its doable....

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Sun May 29, 2022 8:50 am

Truth is, if you have the time/money/health... Enjoy whatever you want.

I can't afford winging, my knees are bad and kneeling is out of the question for long periods.

I think the next big step will be e-foiling when batteries are lighter and gear affordable.

Cut out having to wait for the right conditions or right place for a 2 hour blast.

That's years away, at that point I might just rent and do it occasionally as a treat. Old age.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun May 29, 2022 10:50 am

mr_daruman wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:33 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:41 pm
Oldman_Dave wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:07 am
You missed the absolutely huge Cons (in my personal order):
Kitefoil almost always outperforms wing: faster, smoother & more power on tap = continuously on the foil rather than periods on and off and slogging along double pumping.
Massive battleship of a board, heavy and can't turn
Massive foil under the board, can't turn
2 leashes to wrangle when you stack
Looking at a sail unless you're totally flagged out, can't see downwind
2 trips to carry your gear from car to beach & disassembly every time

Of your Pros: only No. 2 is relevant to most people. Downwind is fine kite foiling if you have any experience. Wind dying happens rarely, and foil kites will stay in the sky in all but zero.

However there's no disputing that for pure wave riding a wing does it better. There's simply no way to flag and hold a kite like you can with a wing.
Likewise there's simply no way to send a wing in a 30m loop to gather enough power spike to pull a small board out of the water.
[..]
The massive board/foil is absolutely the deal breaker for me. Just ... why? What a step backwards.

The leashes are comedy gold -- people getting tangled up in them, tangling around the foil, breaking and the wing going tumbleweeding across the lake... Don't ever change!

Nobody here does pure wave riding; in fact, the best they manage is getting on a wave and riding in a straight line. I can do that, I know cos I follow them around doing it :D

They do have the low wind advantage on me, but my board is 11L and I refuse to use a kite bigger than 10m. And I don't have to pump.

After a year getting good wingfoiling I can now comfortably ride 35L/4'10x22 2.5kg board in 10 knots.Using a High aspect 1100 foil. Turns nearly as fast as my kitefoil board. Super quick and nearly no difference shooting upwind; Id say maybe better. I can just pump for a minute if the wind totally drops.
Under 10 knots I commonly out-ride kitefoilers with my 60L 5'x24 and 1850 wing. Yea its a bit slower but Im actually riding more and longer.

I cant tell you how many times I was just riding light side-off shore/off shore winds with ease while kitefoilers was just watching on land. Tried to ride, dropped the kite, back to land cursing.
Yea if you have 5k worth of kitefoiling ram air race gear I guess its doable....
You must suck at kitefoiling ...
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post (total 3):
Peter_Frank (Sun May 29, 2022 11:56 am) • cor (Sun May 29, 2022 9:53 pm) • Boston kiter (Mon May 30, 2022 1:46 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun May 29, 2022 12:29 pm

mr_daruman wrote:

Still more than 3 times the volume of my board, and your wing is twice as big. And you've still got to hang onto that thing right there in front of your face the whole time. You're not going to convince me :D

Yeah I've seen the guys outride me in sub-10 knots too. On their massive boards and massive wings, going back and forth in a straight line, praying they don't foul up the transitions and fall in. Been there done that with the big foil kites and big foil boards too.

Now I'm happy not mowing the lawn, and just waiting for it to pick up a couple of knots so I can ride with my pocket board, reasonable-sized foil and 10m wave kite.

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Sun May 29, 2022 4:16 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:29 pm
mr_daruman wrote:

Still more than 3 times the volume of my board, and your wing is twice as big. And you've still got to hang onto that thing right there in front of your face the whole time. You're not going to convince me :D

Yeah I've seen the guys outride me in sub-10 knots too. On their massive boards and massive wings, going back and forth in a straight line, praying they don't foul up the transitions and fall in. Been there done that with the big foil kites and big foil boards too.

Now I'm happy not mowing the lawn, and just waiting for it to pick up a couple of knots so I can ride with my pocket board, reasonable-sized foil and 10m wave kite.
Should look at Peak4 or 5's for your needs...

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Sun May 29, 2022 4:49 pm

You can't compare apples and pears, if you live in Tarifa, Gran Canaria or Hood River, you can say hey guys I can ride a 35L board and a 3.5m wing...( only he omits that he rides with 40 knots) But that doesn't seem to be the world average. Talking about your case without saying your weight and conditions makes no sense.
In places where you can launch a kite and breezes of 6 to 20 knots kitefoiling is totally superior but that doesn't mean that you only want to wingfoil.
I know windsurfers who didn't switch to kitesurfing because they literally found it dangerous and intimidating, the same thing that happened to many kitesurfers when they tried hydrofoiling for the first time and said never ever again....

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun May 29, 2022 8:00 pm

Getting back to my previous point, hydrofoiling is here to stay.

I don't care what watersport...

Kiting, windsurfing, wing ding, SUP, paddle in surfing, multihull and monohull sailing, electric powered watercraft, and on and on...

The efficiency is totally game changing.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
Nak (Mon May 30, 2022 8:09 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 29, 2022 9:44 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:00 pm
Getting back to my previous point, hydrofoiling is here to stay.

I don't care what watersport...

Kiting, windsurfing, wing ding, SUP, paddle in surfing, multihull and monohull sailing, electric powered watercraft, and on and on...

The efficiency is totally game changing.

Word :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”