Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite foiling is dying sooo fast

Postby knotwindy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:20 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:45 pm
knotwindy wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:54 pm
Watched this through skiing, telemarking, snowboarding, etc. The older folks always get mad at the new toys not because it’s new and different but because it’s ‘dangerous’. What they miss is it’s not the new toys that are dangerous but because everyone they see using it are beginners and they are indeed dangerous for a bit. Then they get better and the ‘problems’ mostly disappear. Also, the new toys tend to run a different path/line and the older folks aren’t used to it so don’t know what is coming next and get scared. Once they see it for a bit they can see the new paths and things relax further.
Interesting perspective. I watched that 1985 ski-snowboard video, and the really pathetic comments seem to come from the guy in the sunglasses, who I wouldn't classify as one of the "older folks". And the guys at my spots who are winging are definitely "older folks" (mostly over 55-60). I don't think the issue should be characterized as older folks vs. younger folks. It probably has more to do with whether a person is open-minded with a live-and-let-live approach to life than it has to do with age. :thumb:
Yea, I probably should have said the folks on the ‘older gear’ rather than older folks. :thumb:

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Wakestyle Wingsurfer 4 LIfe : Sizes 2.3 , 3.5, 5, 6.2, 7.3 Foils: 823cm3 1023cm3 645cm3 Boards: 48L, 84L, 95L

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:39 pm

I predict that the kite racing folk will move over to wing surfing.

The olympic hopefuls will be more confused than ever!

Olympic windsurfing cancelled..

Move to kite racing

Kite racing on these boards dies in one year

Move to kite foil racing

Wing surfing popularity rises rapidly with far less issues than kite foil racing.

Move to wing surf racing.

The olympic con job gets what it deserves,

Country representatives of kitefoil racing now only have themselves to race against, down from one other trustafarian in the country.

I think we should start a GoFundMe to get a wing and foil for Toby.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:15 am

Dude, you've lost it!

No hardcore kite foil racer on the planet is going to want to switch to a soft little wing and sacrifice the speed and power that comes with dropping a foil on its side and loading up.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Wakestyle Wingsurfer 4 LIfe : Sizes 2.3 , 3.5, 5, 6.2, 7.3 Foils: 823cm3 1023cm3 645cm3 Boards: 48L, 84L, 95L

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:54 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:15 am
Dude, you've lost it!

No hardcore kite foil racer on the planet is going to want to switch to a soft little wing and sacrifice the speed and power that comes with dropping a foil on its side and loading up.

I already know of a couple of top riders in racing, through a friend, all charged up about it.

Time will tell, but this is my prediction. There have been more wing foil races than kite races some places.

So much easier to manage.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:31 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:54 am
jumptheshark wrote:
Dude, you've lost it!

I already know of a couple of top riders in racing, through a friend, all charged up about it.

Time will tell, but this is my prediction. There have been more wing foil races than kite races some places.

Kite foil racing is all about performance, Wing foil all about feeling and sensations. Admitedly Wing foil racing altough it will never reach the level of performance of kite foil should be more physical and less equipment dependant.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:42 am

windmaker wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:31 am
longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:54 am
jumptheshark wrote:
Dude, you've lost it!

Kite foil racing is all about performance, Wing foil all about feeling and sensations. Admitedly Wing foil racing altough it will never reach the level of performance of kite foil should be more physical and less equipment dependant.
Being less equipment dependent was the main reason they mentioned they were moving sports.

I'm sure some fu$%Witt will try and change all that like they fu$$ed up kiteboard racing to the point where it is moulded unnecessarily into a cla$$ed based sport to suit their own agenda.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:44 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Dude, you've lost it!

Agree fully.

The very reason kitefoil racing has gone huge, and also for non racers, is because it is by far the fastest around a coarse, and incredible performance, and easy to access.

And the reason kite formula died instantly.

Not because a fun but a lot slower thing appeared :-?

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 3):
rolfjoosten (Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:36 pm) • jumptheshark (Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 pm) • cor (Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:11 pm)
Rating: 25%

vela99
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''

Postby vela99 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:48 am

No ofence, but personally for me wing surfing is closer to being some type of entertainment than a real sport.

Something looks strange to me in the stance and the whole dynamics of it. Who knows, maybe this is the first timid step to something big. But for me still far far away.

I remember a similar invention being used in the Gorge in the 80s but not inflatable. Good flights but of course with nuking winds.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:55 am

neilhapgood wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:56 pm
when you say 'bad shoulders' is winging bad for shoulders? I have had surgery on mine after dislocations so very wary of any sport that might put them at risk of dislocating again. Is winging a bad sport for people with shoulder dislocation issues or a different shoulder problem?
i have arthritis in both shoulders; right shoulder has been reconstructed with titanium ball. keeping my arms raised holding the wing above my head was not a good idea. kiting isn't great for it either, but nowhere near as tiring. even the guys around here who wing-it say 'no, not with your shoulders'. also, i've noticed when they're winging, they're not out for long. when they're kiting, they are. i suspect as you get better at winging, the stress on your body diminishes, but it seems when learning, it's up there. that's probably true for many sports though.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:27 pm

Pros need to adapt to what's new on the market to stay pro.

Return to “Kitesurfing”