Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai/Iwa
GK Trix
FS Peak4
HB Legion
Ypsilon
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Re: Kite foiling is dying sooo fast

Postby bragnouff » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:34 am

It REALLY depends on your local conditions.
If your spot is a good kiting spot, lots of room, steady winds, and if you can already kite proficiently, then, there is barely any incentive to ride a wing foil, apart from the novelty factor, or for a different approach to riding waves. As a side note, the purists of surfing, who used to see kiters as being handicapped by having some kite traction in the way of their surfing, seem to now be more happy to trade that handicap for a chunky board and a massive foil, and a flappy thing in their hand. Not too sure if it's more or less pure surfing this way, but this was just a side note...

On the other hand, if your local conditions are sketchy for kiting, then winging might solve some of the issues, maybe with a tradeoff in terms of performance, but being out and having fun is what matters. Probably best to go winging instead of not going kiting. Boat launches and retrievals also open a lot more options than kiting, for the many people into that kind of stuff. It gives options.
I feel pretty lucky to have some good spots nearby, lots of room, decent wind, often, but there is one direction of wind that is slightly cross off, with lulls and shifts, and it can really be hit and miss. It has provided at times some of the best wave kiting conditions but also, usually, some of the worst, the ones where the wind drops and you have to keep moving the kite a lot to keep it in the air, and as a result, going downwind pretty quickly, which is a bit stressful on a cross off wind. That's where wingfoiling can take the advantage. In the lulls the other day, I was just sitting on my board, no stress, just waiting for the next gusts, saving my energy while enjoying the view, and still able to go back to shore if I had to, with an easy grovel / paddle. That's just bonus sessions. There are other challenges though... getting through significant breaking waves, and not immune to a bit of walk of shame, which is worse than with kite gear.

So far, from what I see around, wing foiling doesn't really compete with kite foiling. For most people, kite foiling happens in the sub 15kts wind range, where winging is non existent, or essentially boring. It tends to draw people from windsurfing though, because their lower limit is even higher than that, and they aren't adverse to shlogging on big boards.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
airsail (Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:32 am)
Rating: 8.33%

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:14 am

I can see why Maui is advantageous for winging: riding beautiful waves completely depowered. The Atlantic is much more choppy.

In the end it is about being stoked and having as much fun. For me winging is a great addition, not a replacement.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels
Wings: Cloud W1 3,4,5,6m, Duotone 7m
Boards: Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/140/110/130
Foils: AXIS 1150/1020/1010/820 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:52 am

2018: kited (foil/tt) roughly 4000 km
2019: kited (foil/tt) roughly 2000 km, winged 1500 km
2020: kited (foil) roughly 200 km, winged 1500km

I really only kite now below 12 knots. I find it more restrictive compared to winging. I still love them both, but winging is winning in this 12 month period.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:56 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the multiple leashes needed. I was talking to one of my buddies who has got into the Wing thing, he likes it for many of the reasons stated above but mentioned the leashes are annoying..
Personally it looks too clunky and awkward to me compared to kitefoiling and it definitly does not have the low end I would be looking for...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:14 am

And the winner is....

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Wakestyle Wingsurfer 4 LIfe : Sizes 2.3 , 3.5, 5, 6.2, 7.3 Foils: 823cm3 1023cm3 645cm3 Boards: 48L, 84L, 95L

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:45 am

o m g genius LOL!!!!!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:25 am

matth wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:56 pm
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the multiple leashes needed. I was talking to one of my buddies who has got into the Wing thing, he likes it for many of the reasons stated above but mentioned the leashes are annoying..
Personally it looks too clunky and awkward to me compared to kitefoiling and it definitly does not have the low end I would be looking for...
Watching people ride over their leashes is good comedy though

PugetSoundKiter
Medium Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:27 am

wvickers wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:28 pm
...This is somewhat similar to what's happened in water sports behind boats. Just more disciplines now. Wake boarding with tricks, slalom and going fast, 2 skis for beginners, tubing for everyone, knee boarding if your young and don't have osteoarthritis, wake surfing, and wake foiling. Which one to you use depends on the boat, location, wake you have, finances, and the experience of the person towed behind the boat. Thanks to foils behind boats, we all don't need a wave generating boat anymore to have fun.
Was talking kiting with a non-kiting friend of mine and lost him along the way. He started talking about boats and I started getting bored too. So we started listing the watersports/activities we've seen done with boats and without boats, I'm sure we missed a few, but I was surprised how many watersports without a boat. And then listed them on what drove/powered each sport. Here's the lists we came up with.
:cheers:
Wondering how many watersports died along the way?
Oops, we forgot :hah: kneeboarding...
Attachments
WithoutABoat.jpg
WithABoat.jpg
WithABoat.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 112 times

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:36 am

All of this 👆🏻Great to have so many options and see so much diversity. Ultimately it’s about being out on the water being stoked with friends. Some options are clearly better than others (ie Kitesurfing > windsurfing), but it all depends on budget, local conditions, experience and personal preference. Share the stoke!

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:17 am

at that particular spot, more than 50% of people were kite foiling today..
no wingers
119891709_3697565083589275_4924967084064825629_n.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”