Weight: 72kg
Gear: Duotone Neo 12m2, Duotone board and bar
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice used hybrid board

Postby RickyS » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:20 pm

Hey everybody,

I have an offer to buy a 1 year old duotone hybrid surfboard. This exact model (but the 2019 version) : https://www.duotonesports.com/kiteboard ... ds/hybrid/

The board is in good condition, and the price proposed is 650 euros (approx 700 dollars). It is sold from a shop so probably at a small premium compared to what it would have been sold directly by the vendor.

What you do think about the board itself and the price proposed ? Knowing that I am a relatively new kiteboarder who is comfortably riding with a twintip but want to start with a first directional board.

Best !

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Re: Advice used hybrid board

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:34 pm

First, the only reason to get a hybrid board like that is if you plan to both surf and hydrofoil in the near future. If this isn't you, don't get a hybrid board. Second, even if you plan to do both, there is a compromise. The compromise for surfing is that the board is a bit heavier and stiffer, not a huge deal.
The compromise for hydrofoil is that the board is not a good size or shape for foiling, it will work, but not great. Generally speaking, most people avoid hybrid board as sort of the worst of both worlds. I started with something kind of similar for foiling and quickly moved away from it.

My personal recommendation would be to get a good cheap directional, learn on it. Then if you ever buy a hydrofoil in the future, get a hydrofoil-specific board.

If you ignore the foil mounts, $700 doesn't seem like a great bargain for a surfboard. Not bad, but not great either.
These users thanked the author tmcfarla for the post:
flaps1111 (Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:12 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:48 pm

I personally like hybrid surf-foil boards. They're not the best at either but the drawbacks are small. Being able to bring 1 board and quickly switch from foil to surfboard when the wind picks up is awesome.

I don't know if that price is worth it, I paid way less for my Slingshot boards brand new but I'm in the states. What I can tell you is that unless you plan to use the Duotone foil and ONLY the Duotone foil, don't get that board. Find one with the mast tracks. A lot of the foils require a different position in order for the straps to be placed in the right position. And even if you don't use straps, you still may not end up with the best location for your feet on the board. ie: I had to drill custom holes in my mount adapter to set my GoFoil back further on the tracks for the Slingshot board straps positions to work.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:35 pm

I mean I got a hybrid board...I got the naish wakeskate. Here is my reasoning. I have quite a few regular surfboard that I will take before the hybrid for wave riding.
I got the hybrid for travel where the probability was higher that I would go foiling over wave riding so I could bring just one board. If I go to a specific wave spot I will still bring a wave board.
I do not think I would want a huge foil board...ever.
Like mentioned above there will be compromises but I got the small one because it doesn't feel like a huge foil board, and it does feel like a skateboard on the waves. Only ever used it a few times as a surfboard tho. I like it in fast not too big beachbreaky type waves.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:07 pm

Find a used CHEAP surfboard about 19-20 inches wide (maybe 25-29 liters depending upon weight) and ride it until it breaks. Repeat until you find the shape you like, then spend real money.

RickyS
Rare Poster
Weight: 72kg
Gear: Duotone Neo 12m2, Duotone board and bar
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby RickyS » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:30 pm

tmcfarla wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:34 pm
First, the only reason to get a hybrid board like that is if you plan to both surf and hydrofoil in the near future. If this isn't you, don't get a hybrid board. Second, even if you plan to do both, there is a compromise. The compromise for surfing is that the board is a bit heavier and stiffer, not a huge deal.
The compromise for hydrofoil is that the board is not a good size or shape for foiling, it will work, but not great. Generally speaking, most people avoid hybrid board as sort of the worst of both worlds. I started with something kind of similar for foiling and quickly moved away from it.

My personal recommendation would be to get a good cheap directional, learn on it. Then if you ever buy a hydrofoil in the future, get a hydrofoil-specific board.

If you ignore the foil mounts, $700 doesn't seem like a great bargain for a surfboard. Not bad, but not great either.
Hey ! Thanks for your answers and your advice.

My reasoning behind buying a hybrid board is that I don't live in a kitesurf area therefore I have to travel here and there during the weekend to practice. Which means that it is quite regular for me to have to pack and carry all my gears. I know I want to get into foiling in the near future (because the wind in my area tend to be low during summer) but at the same time I don't really see myself carrying my twintip + a surfboard + another foilboard. Therefore it seemed both more convenient and more economic to just buy a single hybrid board.

shred_da_gorge
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 180
Local Beach: Hood River, South Padre Island, Third Avenue,
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, Threemile
Style: surfboards; I'm a quad lover
Gear: Slingshot boards, Naish kites, Cabrina foils

Postby shred_da_gorge » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:09 pm

Have you checked out the Slingshot Converter? I agree with norcom that a mast track will give you placement options this board doesn't seem to have, but then again I am just a beginner foiler so have played around a little with placement. It also depends on your size, as you seem to have some options with this board but many hybrids are sized for the average market since they don't sell many.

I bought my '19 Converter for $499 on closeout from Windance in Hood River. I'm 180# and learned to ride strapless on the 5'4" Angry Swallow this board is based on (actually consigned it at Windance to buy this one to learn foiling on). Although it feels heavier because of the mast track, it doesn't ride much differently than my older Swallow; although I liked that more as a quad setup which I've given up as an option to get the mast track. As a beginner foilboard, I don't really feel its shortcomings. I did compare it against a dedicated foilboard (one of the mid-size Slingshots whose name I forget), but I feel the shortcomings were my own as a newb and not the board's - maybe that'll change as I progress. (I should mention I'm using a front half-hook as a 'training wheel', as I used when learning strapless and quickly took off... then went back to straps for gorge surfboarding but that's a different story).

To travel with the Converter I bought a closeout 6'1" Slingshot "classic" surfboard bag on Amazon for $25+shipping; I sometimes travel between SFO and PDX and surfboards fly free on United in and out of California. (The only issue I've really had with travel is the weight my alloy foil setup adds). I think a hybrid is good for this purpose, unless you're heading for big waves and need a board that's more of a true surfboard.

Return to “Kitesurfing”