Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

GoPro 9

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:53 pm

So who’s getting one? It’s time to finally replace my Hero 5 and I was going to get the Insta360 with the 1in sensor but I’ve read too many bad reviews and it seems the colors suck and it’s not the most water resistant. The Osmo camera is much cheaper but doesn’t seem to have as many features so I guess that just leaves the GoPro. Anyone have any different views on the matter? Love to hear some reviews of the Osmo under a kite. I’ve been burned before from GoPro, has the qc improved any? Really hope they made the 9 well this time and there won’t be 6 months of “working out the bugs”.

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023

Re: GoPro 9

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Garmin virb ultra, comes with a diving case, vid qual is fine unless your doing broadcast work.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:06 pm

Ive got the Hero 8 and its a very high quality product that I find very few issues with. Hardware and software are both pretty polished. The upgrades that seem meaningful on the 9 are (a) the replaceable lens (in case the lens scratches), but I think you can just buy a lens cover for the 8 if its that big a concern and (b) the battery life, particularly for winter activities. The front facing camera on the 9 is of no use to me and I rarely film in 4k, so I can't see using 5k much.

GoPro usually runs some very good deals on previous generation products around the holidays. My suggestion would be to wait until then and buy the 8. I can't speak to the quality of the other cameras referenced.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:11 pm

StellaBlu wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:06 pm
Ive got the Hero 8 and its a very high quality product that I find very few issues with. Hardware and software are both pretty polished. The upgrades that seem meaningful on the 9 are (a) the replaceable lens (in case the lens scratches), but I think you can just buy a lens cover for the 8 if its that big a concern and (b) the battery life, particularly for winter activities. The front facing camera on the 9 is of no use to me and I rarely film in 4k, so I can't see using 5k much.

GoPro usually runs some very good deals on previous generation products around the holidays. My suggestion would be to wait until then and buy the 8. I can't speak to the quality of the other cameras referenced.
One of the biggest draws to the 9 for me is the front facing screen. When I make my YouTubes I always have a bitch getting the framing right and that’s going to cut down significantly retakes. I really like the removable lenses too for easy replacement and aftermarket mods.

I’ll check out the Garmin. I never need anything more than 1080 anyhow but I might start messing around with 4K.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 pm

Is the GoPro Max 360 not a more versatile camera if you're only needing 1080p video? I understand the GoPro Max isn't as high resolution as the Hero 8 or Hero 9, but it allows you to get horizon levelling from a kite line mount (as well as the obvious 360 degree videos)

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:45 am

dave1986 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 pm
Is the GoPro Max 360 not a more versatile camera if you're only needing 1080p video? I understand the GoPro Max isn't as high resolution as the Hero 8 or Hero 9, but it allows you to get horizon levelling from a kite line mount (as well as the obvious 360 degree videos)
Horizon leveling is also possible on the Hero9 and 8 with the Gopro App.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:57 am

Any GoPro from 6 and up is a lot better than your 5, as you dont need a housing.

I've been using the Hero 6 for years, great cam and dont heat up.
8 gets scary warm.

I also got the GoPro Max, and it has the horizon stabilizer which is great.
For 360 video it is crap, as it is very tiresome to convert the files to something usable on a desktop, and it has to be scaled down in resolution at the same time, to be usable by most other 360 editing programs.

GoPro has not made software for desktops, only for mobile devices.

The conversion program that exists now is first step towards usable 360 product, but still a long way it seems.

If used as a normal linecam, it works fine, but resolution quite low compared to the Hero cams, so for screenshots it is not as good as the Heros.
It is also bigger, quite some when in the lines.

But, it is an excellent camera, the Max, and multi useful as a "one cam for all".

Although, the latest Hero cams got gyro data also, thus horizon can be levelled.

I use both types now, Heros for linecam in linear mode, and Max for board/body/bar mount with 360 enabled.
And a third type without wideangle sometimes as a kitecam, excellent for waves.

You can use the Remote for both the Heros and Max cams, actually at the same time if ever needed.

8) Peter

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:20 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:57 am
Any GoPro from 6 and up is a lot better than your 5, as you dont need a housing.

I've been using the Hero 6 for years, great cam and dont heat up.
8 gets scary warm.

I also got the GoPro Max, and it has the horizon stabilizer which is great.
For 360 video it is crap, as it is very tiresome to convert the files to something usable on a desktop, and it has to be scaled down in resolution at the same time, to be usable by most other 360 editing programs.

GoPro has not made software for desktops, only for mobile devices.

The conversion program that exists now is first step towards usable 360 product, but still a long way it seems.

If used as a normal linecam, it works fine, but resolution quite low compared to the Hero cams, so for screenshots it is not as good as the Heros.
It is also bigger, quite some when in the lines.

But, it is an excellent camera, the Max, and multi useful as a "one cam for all".

Although, the latest Hero cams got gyro data also, thus horizon can be levelled.

I use both types now, Heros for linecam in linear mode, and Max for board/body/bar mount with 360 enabled.
And a third type without wideangle sometimes as a kitecam, excellent for waves.

You can use the Remote for both the Heros and Max cams, actually at the same time if ever needed.

8) Peter
How much editing effort is required to do horizon levelling on the Hero 8 compared with the Max 360?
I don't want to spend ages editing line-mount video

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:26 am

The Hero 9 will do the auto leveling in the cam itself which would help reduce editing.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
POACHER (Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:26 am
The Hero 9 will do the auto leveling in the cam itself which would help reduce editing.
It only does it properly with the Max Superview Mod attached and only in 2.7K. But that is still ok for me.

What worries me is that it's heavier than the MAX.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Kitesurfing”