Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best TT for Big Air?

Forum for kitesurfers
appelton
Rare Poster
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:39 am
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Belmont Shore / CA
Gear: Still looking for gear.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Best TT for Big Air?

Postby appelton » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:08 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:56 pm
Simple. Its the Ten kiteboard - the mark (https://ten-kiteboarding.com/the-mark/). Has an extra central fin for more grip when loading up.

No idea how it rides otherwise but that thing is going to allow you to go bigger if your skills are up to it. But if you aren't regularly hitting 10m already then you'll probably need more practice (or some pro tuition?) first.
Looks interesting..what's the flex from your experience ? how does it deal with chop ?

User avatar
Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 967
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:34 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: https://goo.gl/maps/bc4TAhGN26ewTLJW9
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: Best TT for Big Air?

Postby Janus » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:13 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:13 pm
138?

Im riding 120 and probably out jumping 95% of riders on my local. If not 99%.

It is called riding over powered :) Not over boardered ;)

No idea what would I do with bigger board than 120...
Probably hurt yourself.. :lol:

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5833
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Best TT for Big Air?

Postby edt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:15 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:01 pm
edt wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:50 pm

Size is always personal preference I think you can just hold more power if you have a larger board but it's really annoying doing big air tricks if you have a heavy board
It’s the other way around smaller board holds edge better as it digs deeper especially in strong winds where water is choppy
I think I said it confusingly. What I meant is it takes more effort to hold down a big board on big wind days but I don't think it's a huge deal, mostly personal preference. go look at the board sizes in the red bull king of the air you'll see what I mean.

SolarSet
Frequent Poster
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 9:30 am
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: Boost3 7m, Switchblades 10m, XR6 8m & 11m, Soul 15m
NHP Split, Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Best TT for Big Air?

Postby SolarSet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Where can I see board sizes of riders from king of air?

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:29 pm
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Maasvlakte, Paal 17 Texel.
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ten Velox 9m, Ozone Edge V10 7m, PL Hook 6m, Genetrix Hydra V9 9m, Sonic3 11m, Sonic FR 18m ,Shinn Monk, Ten the Mark and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Best TT for Big Air?

Postby mr-markus » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:37 pm

appelton wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:08 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:56 pm
Simple. Its the Ten kiteboard - the mark (https://ten-kiteboarding.com/the-mark/). Has an extra central fin for more grip when loading up.

No idea how it rides otherwise but that thing is going to allow you to go bigger if your skills are up to it. But if you aren't regularly hitting 10m already then you'll probably need more practice (or some pro tuition?) first.
Looks interesting..what's the flex from your experience ? how does it deal with chop ?
Been riding the board for a year now, superb grip like said here. Not too stiff and not too flex, goes through chop very well. Upwind riding is a piece of cake even when youre in the low end kiting. Had many Shinn boards before also the Monk's, but this board is amazing.

dave1986
Frequent Poster
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 3:25 am
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 65 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Best TT for Big Air?

Postby dave1986 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:50 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:33 pm
Where can I see board sizes of riders from king of air?
I've been looking into what boards pro riders use for high powered hooked-in riding.
Looking at the King of the air and Megaloop Challenge competitors... I found that quite a few people actually use bigger and wider boards for powered riding which seems strange to me.

Kevin Langeree: 132 x 41cm Naish Monarch / Reedin Kev Pro 133 x 40cm
Lasse Walker : Jamie Textreme 139 x 42cm
Steven Akkersdijk : Carved Tantrum 142 x ?
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post:
a99 (Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:48 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Matt_TYRCZ
Medium Poster
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:20 pm
Local Beach: Virginia Beach , VA
Favorite Beaches: First Landing State Park, OBX
Style: booting, kiteloop, freestyle
Gear: CORE Kiteboarding, MYSTIC , CrazyFLy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Best TT for Big Air?

Postby Matt_TYRCZ » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:13 pm

Crazyfly Raptor Extreme!!

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5833
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Best TT for Big Air?

Postby edt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:36 pm

That's what I'm talking about there doesn't seem to be much agreement about board size for king of the air. But they all ride light weight carbon boards which I agree with. Ride the size you like don't ride a size just because someone else tells you to. They can hold a ton of power strong guys so it doesn't matter to them if a board is big they won't get pulled off their edge. Or you can ride a small board all up to you

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Best TT for Big Air?

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:37 am

dave1986 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:50 pm
SolarSet wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:33 pm
Where can I see board sizes of riders from king of air?
I've been looking into what boards pro riders use for high powered hooked-in riding.
Looking at the King of the air and Megaloop Challenge competitors... I found that quite a few people actually use bigger and wider boards for powered riding which seems strange to me.

Kevin Langeree: 132 x 41cm Naish Monarch / Reedin Kev Pro 133 x 40cm
Lasse Walker : Jamie Textreme 139 x 42cm
Steven Akkersdijk : Carved Tantrum 142 x ?
Hilariously Sam Light at probably 75kg rides the 147x43 Slingshot Refraction as his boots board (though he has changed to a different board to ride with pads for board offs of late - don't know which size). I suspect this is because he uses the same board for cable riding as well as kiting mind

User avatar
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2287
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Perth, Australia
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Best TT for Big Air?

Postby downunder » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Janus wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:13 pm
downunder wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:13 pm
138?

Im riding 120 and probably out jumping 95% of riders on my local. If not 99%.

It is called riding over powered :) Not over boardered ;)

No idea what would I do with bigger board than 120...
Probably hurt yourself.. :lol:
Its simple, really, if someone thinks riding under powered will get you huge jumps, good luck with that no matter of board size.

Think twice why Toby rides small board and 18m kite.

Ask him, not me.

Injuries comes from something else, not power...You are seasoned kiter, well know the facts.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 20 guests