Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: new reviews on 2021 North Orbits?

Postby Blackened » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:51 pm

PissDrunk wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:45 am

,, but generally can't do anything until 25kn. ,, and this is why i want change it for 10m but than i need another size for 15m/s+++
9m orbit i ride to 20 m/s +- and its ok

my question was
10m orbit have same way for boosting in same wind (10m/s-14m/s) or its harder maybe easier ?

u can ride 10m in 15m/s + ? loop etc ...

u know 9m is best size for me for long time so its hard to give up
Ah, sorry. Think I understand. It doesn't boost as well as the 9m, but it will give you a few extra knots of looping time. That's the only reason I still have mine.

Yes, I ride the 10m in 15m/s. If I'm on the water, I'll just stay out, but if it's gusting much more than that, I'll switch to the 9m because it's more fun. If I turn up to the beach and it's 15m/s, I'm going on the 9m.

Everyone loves their 9m kites. It's the best size.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
PissDrunk (Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:04 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:58 pm

Kitedicted wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:56 pm
Yeah the green one looks great. I've still only tried the 2020 model but it was a bit too front stally for my level then. I know the 2021 is a bit better but have started with heli loops since then and might want to learn powered loops in the coming year
Mate, it's too front stally for me :P. I still stall it out of the sky when I crash. Just have to make sure it's moving to the side of the window when you splat and it has a chance to stay in the air - or at least not fall through the lines.
Kitedicted (Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:16 am)

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kitedicted » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:17 am

Haha okay maybe that's just the way it is then. Will try to demo it sometime :)

meccaloha
Rare Poster
Weight: 87
Local Beach: Slufter,Zandmotor
Gear: NKB Orbit 8,9,12

Postby meccaloha » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:10 am

Blackened wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:37 am
i_love_storm wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:26 am
Any recommondation for a 95 KG guy with a 3 kite strategy? Doing frontrolls, backloops, first darkslides... 8qm, 10qm and 12qm orbit or 12/13qm reach? Using a Jaime 139. Did ride 2016 switchblades
Wind conditions?
dewwy wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:31 am
8,10 orbit & 12/13 reach.
The answer is probably this.
Why a reach 13m and not an Orbit 14m isn't the Orbit got a better low-end than the reach?

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:24 am

meccaloha wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:10 am
Why a reach 13m and not an Orbit 14m isn't the Orbit got a better low-end than the reach?
Quite simply, because he asked about a 12/13 option and not the 14m Orbit. As he seemed to be an experienced kiter, I assumed he considered the 14m Orbit and disregarded it for some reason. I also don't know how he's riding a 10m in 16kn at his weight.

The Reach has a better low end than the Orbit. The Orbit has better hangtime. I haven't ridden them, but I would assume the Reach 13 has the same low end has the Orbit 14m.
meccaloha (Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:07 pm)

PissDrunk
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Nechranice
Favorite Beaches: Rugen, Hell, Fuerte
Style: loop/wakestyle
Gear: Brunotti, Mystic, NorthKB

Postby PissDrunk » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:12 pm

simply
orbit was made for high end riding (better overpowered riding) boost for freestyle
reach for low end.... (better low wind riding) unhooked cruising freeride freestyle

if u want ride 14m in 10 m/s take it orbit
if u want ride 13m in 6 m/s take it reach

my opinion of what I noticed while riding :)

Dutchman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands
Gear: Orbit '23 8m, 9m, 10m

Postby Dutchman » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Blackened wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:54 am
Dutchman wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:23 am

Just a question from my side related to the Orbit vs other kite discussion. Currently I am having a full quiver of Dice kites (7,9,12, 90kg) I am doubting to change the 7m and 9m for a 9m Orbit and my 12m Dice for a 12m Pulse, as I don't kite anymore after 40+ knots and I like to unhook with the 12m Dice but seems the Pulse is more or less similar. Do you guys have any experience on both and can be tell a bit on the differences?

What I notice now is that when having 10m+ jumps on the 9m Dice, you need to be very precise when helilooping/downlooping as the float/catch is a hit-or-miss. Steering too far to one side and it won't catch you anymore when helmlooping/downlooping. Catching is not right word in this but hopefully you understand what I mean. Besides that, the bar pressure is quite heavy, especially when having multiple days in a row, my lower arms feel sore in strong winds. I am doing kite loops now at around 7/8m but the dice is not always catching me, so which kite is quicker in looping/catching after the loop? Or is it similar?

Happy to hear your thoughts.
Can't comment on the Pulse as I don't unhook. I've only ridden the 8m in nuking winds and hated it, but I'm not a fan of freestyle/crossover and only used my crossovers for surfing, so ignore me.

9m Orbit has enough float and super easy to heli. If you use it on the soft setting, just be aware it's super fast and you can't crank it. If you do, it will swing through 12 oclock way too quickly and not provide enough lift. I sometimes deliberately almost fly it out of the window to bring it back overhead for a nice touchdown. Soft setting is also very lightweight bar pressure. I started looping it on the soft, but ended moving to the hard to slow down the kite a bit to do lower loops (and stop the previously mentioned 12oclock pivot). Also, if you don't kite in 40kn+, you don't need anything smaller than the 9m. I only swap to the 8m when it starts gusting 45-50. 8m is the lowest I'd go on an Orbit 90kg+. The 7m was extremely droppy for me. A few of the others I ride with thought the same thing.

As for catching after a loop, a Dice should easily catch you from a 7/8m kite loop. I guess it depends how low you're bringing it, but typically, people start with late pulls and high loops. Unless it's really gusty and the kite is stalling a bit on the climb? The other option is you're not going as high as you think you are, which is pretty much everyone when they first start looping.

So, in summary:
1. Dice vs Pulse for freestyle - no idea.
2. Orbit is much more forgiving and floaty than the Dice. However, if you pull too hard, especially on the soft setting, it will pivot in place and provide no lift.
3. Orbit bar pressure is light on soft, soft/medium on hard settings. (subjective)
4. Orbit will be quicker to loop as it's more pivotal. However, I suspect something else is wrong if the Dice isn't catching you after an 8m kiteloop.
Many thanks for this post. Gives a lot of answers to my questions. Will try to demo the Orbit in stronger winds to see whether I like it. Also need to try the Pulse to see if it's comparable with the 12m Dice, as I really like that kite for freestyle.

NorwayIsCold
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sola beach, Stavanger, Norway
Favorite Beaches: Jeri
Style: Freestyle, getting into wakestyle
Gear: North Dice 2015 - 11m
North Dice 2014 - 8m
North Dice 2018 - 12m, 9m
North Click bar
Slingshot Widowmaker 2015
Saul Customs - Modified Pure 2.0
Ronix One boots
Mystic Majestic X
Manera wetsuit

Postby NorwayIsCold » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:32 pm

Am 84 kg, 138 by 41 cm board kiting in Norway.
Looking to learn kiteloop and boost higher (currently at 7m mark)
Which Orbit kite size do you suggest - 10 or 9 m?
I am coming from full range of Dices (12,11,9,8)

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:04 am

NorwayIsCold wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:32 pm
Am 84 kg, 138 by 41 cm board kiting in Norway.
Looking to learn kiteloop and boost higher (currently at 7m mark)
Which Orbit kite size do you suggest - 10 or 9 m?
I am coming from full range of Dices (12,11,9,8)
Orbit has a little more low end than the Dice. Maybe 1-2kn. You can size about the same. Replace the 9m with a 9m.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:16 am

Totally disagree with the above. The 2021 Dice crushes the Orbit on low end. 2021 onwards the designer took alot of materials off the Dice and it improved the low end alot. I've been impressed how low I can ride the Dice in terms of wind speed. Note that I am uncertain if there will be a Durability issue for taking off so much material. I can ride my 10m Dice into the teens and still make it back to the beach easily (weigh 214 lbs in ocean environment).

The Orbit is great in high winds as is the Dice.

Have not yet tried the Dice 2022 SLS but if it does actually fly farther out in the wind window, its going to improve the low end even more.

The Orbit only does one thing nicer than the Dice and thats doing powered kiteloops. The Orbit is more technique driven and requires more skill than the Dice.

All of my fellow instructors can make the Dice work for them whereas I seem to be the only one who can make the Orbit perform, to the point I jump higher than lighter weight riders weighing 100lbs less than me in the same wind on The same kite. The Orbit strongly rewards pro grade technique whereas the Dice is not so picky. Its pickier than a Rebel or XR, but you do not need to be a superhero to get the Dice to work. You do for the Orbit - most riders will believe the Orbit is a soft pulling kite with good high end because they dont have the technique to activate its power.

The GTS/Orbit/Dice are all KOTA targeted kites which involves two key elements: power to jump high and how it loops. The Orbit and Dice both loop great, as a heavier weight rider I want as much power to get high enough to do proper megaloops. I can jump 15+m without a megaloop but its hard getting enough height for a competition stytle megaloop to the horizon off these kite unless the wind is nuking strong way past 35 kts. This makes it hard to practice megaloops due to availability of such wind conditions. So improving the power level of the kite ala the Dice SLS while keeping its loopabilitytis a winning formula imo!
Last edited by dracop on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”