Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Click bar not untwisting

Forum for kitesurfers
Si_B
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Click bar not untwisting

Postby Si_B » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:55 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed before (I’m sure I read a post earlier but can’t find it). I’m having an issue with my bar jamming when unspinning the lines. I’ve included a short clip from yesterday showing the twist after a down loop. Everything moves freely, there is no damage or sand ingress into the bearings.

It worries me slightly as a few times yesterday I go to sheet out after I’ve done something and the bar jams on the PU sheath and I get yanked.

I don’t wind the PU sleeve up with the lines as I wondered if this was distorting it’s shape. I love how the bar works but I can not work out why the lines is staying twisted. Have I got a fault or is there a technique I’m missing.

Cheers,
Simon

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Click bar not untwisting

Postby purdyd » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:22 pm

The iron heart quick release should spin easily by hand when not loaded. You should be able to hit it and have it spin around 360.

If not check the two rotation points, the loaded ceramic bearings, and in the collar above the iron heart.

You can take apart the collar there is a long screw that’s holds the gray front line. Make sure that is all clean and rotates smoothly. Also a good time to inspect the red line, it can get frayed and could be jamming things up.

I’ve also in occasion added some lubricant to the spot the collar rotates around.

Good luck!
58E14D5C-81F7-4CA2-A963-4FED9D657578.jpeg

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:33 pm

had the same, can be dangerous...
I did put it in hot water and this helped a lot

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:35 pm

Everything is free as far as I can tell, no binding or anything. Has done this from new but was told it would stop with a bit more use.

Simon

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:57 pm

If it was new and doing this then there is something wrong with it. My experience is that they don’t loosen up with use.

I’d take it back. This looks to be a warranty issue to me.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 pm

There was this topic here with the ring mounted wrong? Can someone dig it up? maybe that's the issue. Ah nvm found it viewtopic.php?t=2401845

Nice toeside btw :thumb:
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
purdyd (Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:00 pm

Bar has never been taken apart, that is all fitted correctly. I can not see any reason why it does what you see in the video, but it is putting me off using it.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:42 am

Si_B wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:00 pm
Bar has never been taken apart, that is all fitted correctly. I can not see any reason why it does what you see in the video, but it is putting me off using it.
I know of one guy who got the bar with the ring mounted the wrong way. If this isn't the case for you it is time to return it, tell them you happily take the new ugly bar with better lines 😂

If you can't return it post some pictures like the guy in the other topic did, especially of the ring area. Some cracks here might figure it out or send that video to tom court on Instagram and he might be able to help you.

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:24 am

Will take some pictures tonight, maybe someone will spot something. I don't get to kite that often so the bar is not showing any signs of wear that I am aware of.

The picture in the video shows perfectly what my centre line is doing. Should I have to untwist this by hand at any point or do I have to sheet fully in/out etc? Annoying thing is I sold my Trust bar as I preferred how clean the set up is on the click bar.

Cheers,
Simon

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:25 am

well, I don't know if this is the issue, but if you look closely the preview picture of the youtube link you posted, the lower ring, to where you should attach your leash looks odd; it hangs at an odd angle, and for me it stays locked at 90 degree angle, same as in the picture posted here by purdyd.

Return to “Kitesurfing”