Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Re: Apple Watch Apps compared for Freeriding

Postby aleks » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:33 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:25 am
aleks wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:14 pm
Also, I added Auto-pause on WOO connection and recording state (as you asked). You will be able to enable it in settings. Hopefully this (and many other) features will be released in the next update.
Thats sounds great! Looking forward to the next update...please post it here once it is live as I sometimes miss the new updates as they come automatically!

Once more great work Aleks really appreciate all the efforts you put into this.
Thanks, will do :thumb:

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario

Postby aleks » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:56 pm

Gestalt wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:42 pm
Waterspeed shows distance in the apple fitness app. You should be able to make the Woo do it as well.
Yes, I'm looking into it. If you know how it is done, please let me know - going through Apple documentation to find something as obscure as this is not that easy.
Gestalt wrote:
Right now the fact the data does not transfer into the Woo phone app is a real deal breaker. There is seemingly no way to review/find session length, max speed, etc. after a session has concluded.
WOO phone app integration is coming. I don't know when exactly (I only do watch part), but should be soon.
Gestalt wrote:
Another thing I noticed I disliked is that it seems to start a Woo session on the watch, it must sync with the woo device on the board. This is annoying because what if I want to just do a freeride session without jumps? Now I am forced to drain battery life from the woo device when I'm not using it for it's intended purpose so I can record freeride data on my watch.
Just wait for the next update - a lot of questions will be answered there :D .

Core functionality of the WOO watch app is to reliably show real time jumps, and I wanted to bring it to everyone ASAP. That is why the watch app is released without too many extras, but a bunch of other features will be added soon. Meanwhile, please keep sending your feedback and requests - they might make it into the new release :thumb:

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:42 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:25 am
Yes exactly in the fitness app. I know Apple does it weird but would be great to see distance instead of duration. I already think it is awesome you were able to display the GPS route on the map (this is not even showing when using the running mode in workouts)
I found out what makes Fitness app display Distance. It is not documented anywhere, so I had to use trial and error method. The problem is that adding distance is only possible with manual Workout creation (as opposed to somewhat automatic recording that Apple themselves recommend). I'll try to do it, we'll see how it works out. This only affects how the workout is displayed in Fitness app though - WOO app will already have the distance without this modification.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:40 pm

aleks wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:42 pm
I found out what makes Fitness app display Distance. It is not documented anywhere, so I had to use trial and error method. The problem is that adding distance is only possible with manual Workout creation (as opposed to somewhat automatic recording that Apple themselves recommend). I'll try to do it, we'll see how it works out.
Sounds strange regarding the manual workout, again in the adidas run app if I run it syncs with the workout app (leaving the Adidas logo etc all there). Would be great to see whats possible. Looking forward to the new release!

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:16 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:40 pm
Sounds strange regarding the manual workout, again in the adidas run app if I run it syncs with the workout app (leaving the Adidas logo etc all there). Would be great to see whats possible. Looking forward to the new release!
It is not manual from user perspective, just from development point of view. For automated workout you just start recording and it gathers everything itself (except route) - time, calories, heart rate, all pause/resume events, etc. But no distance for some reason. And you can't add it later, at least not in the way that would make it displayed in Fitness app :x .
For manual workout I would have to gather all these data myself, then I can save the distance...

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi All,
It was a long wait, but the WOO update for Apple Watch is finally out! I implemented most features that you requested:

- Freeride GPS only session can be recorded now - you don't even need a WOO!
- In iPhone Fitness app new sessions should have distance displayed instead of time (in the list of sessions).
- Addeded Auto-pause setting. If enabled, activity will pause when WOO is not recording or lost connection for over 2 minutes.
- Added option to save or delete the session at the exit.
- Added Now Playing screen for people who listen to music over Bluetooth.
- Added heart rate
- Integration with WOO app - you can create and share a session in WOO app (no WOO necessary!)
- Bunch of other improvements I don't already remember :D

Give it a try and let me know if there is anything else you would like to see. Thanks!
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 2):
direnc (Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:11 pm) • dice (Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:32 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 186lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
9m XR7
12m Evo Dlab
12m & 15m FS Sonic 4
TT: Boardschmiede 135x40
Foil: North Sonar 1150cm2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Gestalt » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:34 pm

aleks wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:45 pm
Hi All,
It was a long wait, but the WOO update for Apple Watch is finally out! I implemented most features that you requested:

- Freeride GPS only session can be recorded now - you don't even need a WOO!
- In iPhone Fitness app new sessions should have distance displayed instead of time (in the list of sessions).
- Addeded Auto-pause setting. If enabled, activity will pause when WOO is not recording or lost connection for over 2 minutes.
- Added option to save or delete the session at the exit.
- Added Now Playing screen for people who listen to music over Bluetooth.
- Added heart rate
- Integration with WOO app - you can create and share a session in WOO app (no WOO necessary!)
- Bunch of other improvements I don't already remember :D

Give it a try and let me know if there is anything else you would like to see. Thanks!
Gave it a try today was pretty impressed! Everything looked great, I loved all the detailed freeride analysis in the phone app.

However I went to edit the description of the freeride session (after I had already uploaded it and saved it once), saved it again, and it magically converted the freeride session into a big air session with all zeroes in the preview in the feed. All the freeride analytics subsequently disappeared as well. :( Seems to be a major bug. Hopefully they get it fixed soon....and in the mean time, after saving a freeride session don't go back and edit it...

One other thing, I was surprised that a session I tried with the watch app from 3 months ago when you put the freeride functionality in, was saved! I was able to upload it.
These users thanked the author Gestalt for the post:
aleks (Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:30 am

Thanks for reporting that Gestalt! Sounds like a bug - I passed it on to the phone app developers, hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Lots of work went into the integration of Health Kit data with WOO. The watch part is fairly straight forward, but integration of GPS tracks sessions with WOO data is pretty complex. Please let me know if you find any other issues. Thanks :thumb:

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:10 pm

Gestalt wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:34 pm
However I went to edit the description of the freeride session (after I had already uploaded it and saved it once), saved it again, and it magically converted the freeride session into a big air session with all zeroes in the preview in the feed. All the freeride analytics subsequently disappeared as well. :( Seems to be a major bug. Hopefully they get it fixed soon....and in the mean time, after saving a freeride session don't go back and edit it...
That issue should be fixed now!

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 186lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
9m XR7
12m Evo Dlab
12m & 15m FS Sonic 4
TT: Boardschmiede 135x40
Foil: North Sonar 1150cm2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Gestalt » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:46 pm

aleks wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:10 pm
That issue should be fixed now!
I guess there is no way to go back and change a posted session from big air to freeride? That one session is still stuck as big air...

I'm really enjoying the jump distance feature, with the Woo syncing with the GPS data!
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-03 at 8.57.33 PM.jpeg
And the Jump maps, with take off points and jump length trails!
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-03 at 9.43.46 PM.jpeg
These users thanked the author Gestalt for the post:
sonny2727 (Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:24 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”