Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Re: Apple Watch Apps compared for Freeriding

Postby aleks » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:51 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:58 pm
Tried it yesterday (although underneath my wetsuit). I liked it I could already connect my WOO with the watch at the car without it turning off after 5min. However starttime already started, can this be matched when you actually start recording the WOO (when it blinks red). Also can it stop or at least pauze when turning off the WOO. Now I didnt knew I had to stop the watch seperately (which was only at home ;) good for my speed record but for the rest shouldnt be)

Loved you can set minimum height before it vibrates or captures/shows a jump.

One more point, is it possible to link the activity to kitesurfing instead of surfing in the Apple activity app (I know Adidas running can do it so should be possible)

Great work really like it!
Thanks for the feedback!

Technically start session on WOO recording can be implemented. There are some challenges with Apple, so I'll have to see if it will work without OS killing the app. However, a simple solution is to start the app at the same time with WOO. That is what I do - start WOO and watch app right before launching my kite.

Pausing is trickier. Watch doesn't know when the WOO is turned off, or you just loost connection. Pausing every time you get separated from the board might not be ideal. I'll discuss it with WOO people.

And the last one - making workout kitesurfing instead of surfing. Not sure if it is possible. Apple bundled all sports with word "surfing" into one:
surfingSports: The constant for a variety of surf sports, including surfing, kite surfing, and wind surfing.
I'll try to check what Adidas running does, maybe they use something else.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:41 pm

aleks wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:51 pm
Apple bundled all sports with word "surfing" into one:
surfingSports: The constant for a variety of surf sports, including surfing, kite surfing, and wind surfing.
Checked Adidas runing. You can choose "Kite Surfing" in the app, but it is internal to Adidas app only. The Apple Health activity type is still Surfing.
EEB3DC98-A132-46D8-9AFA-AB05DA1EBB75.png

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:32 am

aleks wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:41 pm
aleks wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:51 pm
Apple bundled all sports with word "surfing" into one:
Checked Adidas runing. You can choose "Kite Surfing" in the app, but it is internal to Adidas app only. The Apple Health activity type is still Surfing.
EEB3DC98-A132-46D8-9AFA-AB05DA1EBB75.png
Fair points, I didnt think about losing connection etc. Maybe think about speed in combo of no signal I dont know! A start sync would be nice especially now when its so cold and im wearing the watch under my suit and wearing gloves makes using the watch hard.

I checked Adidas running really thought it was showing kitesurf but I was wrong! Sorry
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post:
aleks (Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:35 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:39 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:32 am
Fair points, I didnt think about losing connection etc. Maybe think about speed in combo of no signal I dont know! A start sync would be nice especially now when its so cold and im wearing the watch under my suit and wearing gloves makes using the watch hard.
Thanks. I'm checking with WOO team on how and what they would want to implement out of your suggestions. I'll keep you posted.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
Kitemenn (Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:53 am)

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone 21' Rebel 7M, 9m & 11m, 15m Juice, on a Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:00 pm

Aleks / Woo,

Set a minimum jump hight measurement in the apple watch settings is great, especially to filter out the waves. Can this also be added to the Woo app to set it permanently?

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:59 am

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:00 pm
Aleks / Woo,

Set a minimum jump hight measurement in the apple watch settings is great, especially to filter out the waves. Can this also be added to the Woo app to set it permanently?
I'll ask WOO team.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:29 am)

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:25 pm

aleks wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:39 pm
Kitemenn wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:32 am
Thanks. I'm checking with WOO team on how and what they would want to implement out of your suggestions. I'll keep you posted.
Hi Aleks,

One more ask from my side. Now the watch's activity WOO now shows the session in time...for me I would rather see something like total distance (like in Adidas running) or otherwise see the total distance when you select it. Anyway the apple app is very limited to what it shows also on statistics etc so would be nice to have as much info as possible.

Also I don't see any of this info flowing into the WOO app. Is this on purpose?
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:19 am)

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:14 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:25 pm
Hi Aleks,

One more ask from my side. Now the watch's activity WOO now shows the session in time...for me I would rather see something like total distance (like in Adidas running) or otherwise see the total distance when you select it. Anyway the apple app is very limited to what it shows also on statistics etc so would be nice to have as much info as possible.

Also I don't see any of this info flowing into the WOO app. Is this on purpose?
Do you mean that you want to see these metrics in Fitness app in list of workouts? AppIe does it some weird way. I guess it displays elapsed time by default, but it is possible somehow to make it display distance or calories. I'll have to research that - should be possible but no guarantees. Also, I don't know any way to display more data in Fitness app - that is just Apple deciding for you what you need to see.

Integration with WOO app is coming soon ( I'm a bit ahead of the phone app and back end development :) ). Once done, you might not need to use Fitness app again :D .

Also, I added Auto-pause on WOO connection and recording state (as you asked). You will be able to enable it in settings. Hopefully this (and many other) features will be released in the next update.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post (total 2):
Kitemenn (Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:06 pm) • Leon van Bergen (Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:21 am)
Rating: 13.33%

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster

Postby Kitemenn » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:25 am

aleks wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:14 pm
Do you mean that you want to see these metrics in Fitness app in list of workouts? AppIe does it some weird way. I guess it displays elapsed time by default, but it is possible somehow to make it display distance or calories. I'll have to research that - should be possible but no guarantees. Also, I don't know any way to display more data in Fitness app - that is just Apple deciding for you what you need to see.
Yes exactly in the fitness app. I know Apple does it weird but would be great to see distance instead of duration. I already think it is awesome you were able to display the GPS route on the map (this is not even showing when using the running mode in workouts)

aleks wrote:
Also, I added Auto-pause on WOO connection and recording state (as you asked). You will be able to enable it in settings. Hopefully this (and many other) features will be released in the next update.
Thats sounds great! Looking forward to the next update...please post it here once it is live as I sometimes miss the new updates as they come automatically!

Once more great work Aleks really appreciate all the efforts you put into this.

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 183lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
11m Naish Pivot S25 LE
12m Core XR6
11m & 15m FS Sonic 3
TT: C6boards 137x41, OR Mako 150
Foil: Levitaz Cruizer 1000cm2, North Sonar 850cm2 & 1650cm2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Gestalt » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:42 pm

aleks wrote:

Waterspeed shows distance in the apple fitness app. You should be able to make the Woo do it as well.
IMG_3899.PNG
IMG_3899.PNG (345.01 KiB) Viewed 679 times
aleks wrote:
Integration with WOO app is coming soon ( I'm a bit ahead of the phone app and back end development :) ). Once done, you might not need to use Fitness app again :D .
Right now the fact the data does not transfer into the Woo phone app is a real deal breaker. There is seemingly no way to review/find session length, max speed, etc. after a session has concluded. This makes it worse than all other current solutions out there and pointless to use.

Another thing I noticed I disliked is that it seems to start a Woo session on the watch, it must sync with the woo device on the board. This is annoying because what if I want to just do a freeride session without jumps? Now I am forced to drain battery life from the woo device when I'm not using it for it's intended purpose so I can record freeride data on my watch.

Getting the phone app to display the data in a user friendly and sortable way will be critical.

Waterspeed does an excellent job. I can sort by time period and activity. How much time/distance in a year did I spend twintipping, versus hydrofoiling.
Also satellite photo overlay, with speed coloured heat trace is very nice. I can retrace every step of my session.
IMG_3897.PNG
IMG_3897.PNG (220.27 KiB) Viewed 679 times
IMG_3898.PNG
IMG_3898.PNG (207.94 KiB) Viewed 679 times
The only thing missing from the Waterspeed app is being able to also sort sessions by tagging or kite make/size used. This would be useful to track how many hours I put on a kite in a given year, etc. Zef has this functionality, I'm just not a fan of their UI aesthetic.

I'm not sure what Woo's plan's are for the phone app, but I imagine mixing up pure freeride ride sessions with jump sessions may make the local feeds spam heavy. There may need to be separate tabs to differentiate these activities.

Return to “Kitesurfing”