Gear: 7m Nomad
9m Drifter
North Gonzales 135 x 38
Cotan 5'6
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Tronic Board Size

Postby africandreaming » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:12 am

Looking to get a second hand tronic, I am about 85kg and 1.8m tall, what sizes do you recommend?

jms
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, Sydney
Gear: Ozone, CrazyFly, Switch
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha Tronic Board Size

Postby jms » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:23 am

I'm 95kg 1.88m, and ride an older 145x43 tronic. This was the size recommended by the shop when I was a similar weight to you, and seems to be a good allround size.

I sometimes wish it was a bit smaller in nuking winds for jumping, and larger in light winds, but I don't think the gear is holding me back when I look at other kiters around.
These users thanked the author jms for the post:
africandreaming (Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:10 am)
Rating: 3.03%

africandreaming
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 85
Style: Freeride / Waves
9m Drifter
North Gonzales 135 x 38
Cotan 5'6

Postby africandreaming » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:12 am

Thx JMS, do you use it in the waves and is it still quite manouverable at that size, i.e. can you still slide the tail and switch to toeside easily?

I am on a 135 x 39 at the moment so 145 seems pretty big but I have heard these need to be a bit bigger and I want a bit of that volume for wave riding without kite power

jms
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, Sydney
Gear: Ozone, CrazyFly, Switch
Has thanked: 0

Postby jms » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:30 am

I use it in waves, but I ride jump kites not surf kites and don't get the chance to ride without kite power.

The size I have wouldn't plane any more easily than my old normal sized kiteboard, you have to size the tronics up a heap because of curved outline and extra rocker. The shape of the board keeps it comfortable in chop and stops me from digging in the corner on waves, but because of it you do have to size up. It sounds like your current board is on the small size, and I'd say the 145 tronic is on the medium - large size (when you account for different shape).

At a guess, the 145 tronic would feel much larger for you, probably would plane better than your current board, and would probably be much better suited for the waves. One size smaller would probably match your current board in ability to stay on the plane at lower speed.

I don't find any problem with manouverability... I think small board size matters more when you're doing wakestyle tricks.

The tronic is designed as a wave twintip, so I'm sure it would be a good choice for you. If you've got a surfboard maybe keep that for the lighter wind good surf days and get a smaller tronic for the high wind higher powered days?

africandreaming
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 85
Style: Freeride / Waves
9m Drifter
North Gonzales 135 x 38
Cotan 5'6

Postby africandreaming » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:02 am

Thx JMS really appreciate the info

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:17 am

I had one for a while, soaked up the chop, good for the knees.
It did need to be bigger than a 'flatter' freeride board (e.g. C/F Raptor) It always seemed quite power hungry.

Whilst it did everything I wanted it to, mainly cushion knees in chop, I just found it a bit less exciting to ride than the C/F
It didn't feel that much loser in the turns tbh.
So I opted to go out for fewer session on the C/f, save the knees and sold the Tronic.
These users thanked the author badgb21 for the post:
africandreaming (Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:23 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”