Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot 2021 Sentry V1 Bar (any beta?)

Forum for kitesurfers
Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot 2021 Sentry V1 Bar (any beta?)

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:15 am

Have to lay out center lines untwisted. Um. What.

I like the idea of easy one hand click-in QR.

Plastic covered lines running thru bar , meh.

Same tried and true slingshot flying lines , good call.

To me a couple things I like about the ol’ compstick —

-small short compact QR with btb trim results in longer than average amount of bar throw range. Yay

-The Talon. Great option. Yay

- rope. Always supple. See what’s wearing. Plastic can’t crack or whatever if its not there to begin with.

-Line floats are free/not attached to bar so they don’t annoyingly bend in to center.

And the stuff I don’t like about the ol’ compstick—

-With btb trim pulled long, I feel like there is a real risk of the depower rope tangling around the harness hook in such a way that it gets stuck preventing a full release. Could happen (so probably does) Im sure there are horror stories.
-Btb trim requires umph compared to any atb system ive used.

I dunno. I would be into this sentry bar when using a classic harness hook. Having to lay out the center lines right, sheesh, I guess I could live with that.
For rope slider harness , personally, compstick+talon just has it for being so compact and in-close but still robust.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:02 pm

when i rig for a foil kite and the bar is right-side up, i usually have no problems with the twist in the center lines, it's when rigging an LEI and the bar is upside down that i often end up with the twist. the twist makes the flow of the bar much less smooth, so you have to redo the lines. i do take the time to straighten it all out with the bar pulled all the way down, but sometimes it's still wrong. a half twist at setup becomes a full twist at flight. regardless, it's so easy to just spin the swivel on other bars, why bother with this nonsense?

granit02
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Queens beach North Redcliffe Qld Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens Beach North Redcliffe Peninsula Queensland Australia
Style: kite foil and wing foil
Gear: Slingshot UFO V2 & V1, Slingwing V2, Javelin V1 Travelcraft V1 Wingcraft V2
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot Australia

Postby granit02 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:21 am

Just had a look on that website, still no rope slider adaptor like the talon, not a big deal its easy enough to slip the chicken loop through the metal ring or around the rope on the rope slider.

fguinda
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sotogrande, Spain
Tarifa, Spain
Estepona, Spain
Style: Straplesss
Gear: Slingshot

Postby fguinda » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:16 pm

granit02 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:21 am
Just had a look on that website, still no rope slider adaptor like the talon, not a big deal its easy enough to slip the chicken loop through the metal ring or around the rope on the rope slider.
just bought a Duotone short rope chicken loop for my Sentry. 100% compatible

Cheoz0r86
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 80-75
Local Beach: North down peninsula in Northern Ireland
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2022 11m core XR7, 2022 9m XR7. 137*41 2020 CF raptor

Postby Cheoz0r86 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:06 pm

granit02 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:21 am
I do rig my lines with the bar all the way up (against the stopper ball) that way I avoid any twists, your safety will always be on your right side (left side with the kite in the air). Is quite easy don't get why people find it so hard to get in the coconut

Cheoz0r86
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 80-75
Local Beach: North down peninsula in Northern Ireland
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2022 11m core XR7, 2022 9m XR7. 137*41 2020 CF raptor

Postby Cheoz0r86 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:10 pm

Take a close look at the bar! No twists when you setup properly it only takes an extra 20 sec
Attachments
Screenshot_20210609-170840_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210609-170813_Instagram.jpg

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15m Ghost V2, 12m SS RPX, 10/8/7/6/5/4 V6 SST, 8m SS UFO V2, 6m Ghost V2, 4&5 Contra 1S, SS Phantasm 684/633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'0 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 3.5 Cab X3, 4.4 Vayu, 6.0 Slingwing V4
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:55 am

Re: 'Coated' main and flagging lines on Sentry bar.

But first a disclaimer: I don't [yet?] have a Sentry bar.
But from researching other bars and visiting Slingshot's web site [see link below for Sentry rebuild videos]...

The black 'coating' of the main and flagging lines on the Sentry bar are not coatings, but a tubing/sleeve material. The flagging line travels thru the stationary tubing/sleeve and the main power line is routed thru more of the black tubing/sleeving material [probably urethane]. I've never had a bar with sleeved lines, so I can't judge it yet without experience. Not being able to visually inspect for line wear bothers me, but having stiffened lines [between the trim block and chicken loop] could potentially reduce any line fowling. The hidden line wear might just be unwarranted worry on my part. Seems a lot of bars now have urethane sleeved lines...

https://support.slingshotsports.com/hc/ ... IPS-HOW-TO

Ciao, -Barry

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Yes, it is the industry standard PU sleeve on the outside. One is the loaded main depower line, the other is a hollow tube for the safety. Nothing wrong with that. I still prefer a double bare line, preferably one that is easy to replace, but I am slowly giving up on that dream.

I got to demo this bar shortly, it is quite nice. Auto untwist works well, although like mentioned earlier your lines have to be untwisted fully before launching the kite. Clamcleat depower is as expected. Lines felt like the normal “soft” Slingshot lines, not stiff like SK99 on North Navigator or Ozone bars. Click-in style quick release is excellent. Only real complaint was the bar itself felt a little big (diameter) and it was very hard. It felt like a thick textured plastic tube, almost like a children’s toy. I have flown a lot of bars, and I seem to gravitate toward the softer materials. The North Navigator is excellent in this respect, so that likely biases me against the Sentry.

Still a nice piece of kit.

slothy-the-sloth
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 95kg
Gear: 2014-2018 Switchblades
2018 - present Evos
TT & Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby slothy-the-sloth » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:20 pm

Hi All,
Long time lurker, first time poster on the forums. Thought i'd give everyone my in-depth 2c on this bar. I bought the bar back in Nov of 2020. I kite about 3x a week. So i've got about 40-50x sessions on this bar.

I use the bar with Duotone Evos & a slingshot RPM. I hate the 'click' of the click bar, but love the auto-unswivel. This bar looked like the PERFECT bar for me. I bought a clickbar high 'Y' splitter and attached it at the 5m mark on my flagging line, wrapped a bit of electrical tape to increase the bite on the Y splitter and pull the Y out whenever i ride my RPM. Has worked flawlessly, absolutely 0 line wear on either line, a bit of a pain to adjust the configuration for a high Y or low V. My riding style is big air/freeride/old school with some freestyle/unhooked on my rpm. I would say i loop on 80% of my jumps (downloop/heli loop).

Things i love about the bar:
- Center line 'auto unswivel'. So far, this has been perfect. The ball bearings still rotate super cleanly, i know a lot of folks here love their old bars, but this is a game changer for me. Maybe i'm lazy. Either way, a must have on any bar i own in the future.
- Lines: Very little stretch. I felt like i would be tuning my lines every 3-4 sessions on my old bar. More like every 7-8 (or longer) on this.
- Long bar throw: i'm a tall guy, so i love bars that i can sheet in and out with a big range (i know this isn't as good for shorter people), this allows me to ride fully powered almost always. The throw on this bar is perfect (IMO). Note: there is no stopper ball on this bar, which is the single reason my GF did not buy this bar, she literally can't reach the bar when it's fully sheeted out.

Things i don't like:
- As mentioned in this thread , sheeting in/out when looping is different. I got used to it, and kind of like it now, you just need to apply a bit more pressure to sheet in a loop.
- The PUC center area needs work, and has torn in a spot for me, i think this might be because of sheeting in/out while looping and its caused some wear in the bar (see pic). Sent in a warranty request for this and will post when i hear more. Any one else have this issue?

Overall, i like the bar a lot. i feel like it likely needs some tweaks on the way the PUC works for next year. Everything i don't like about the bar is related to it. If i were to buy again, i would probably pay the extra for the duotone click bar, i feel like 4 years of clickbar and the SK99 lines has resulted in a pretty dialed in bar.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-06-18 at 5.52.19 PM (3).jpeg

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:31 am

slothy-the-sloth wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:20 pm
I'd be interested to see what you think of the click bar. I'd take the sentry over the click any day. Looping the kite is unbeliveably annoying as the rectangle pu cover seems to bind every time on the click bar.

That said, if there is a wear issue on the sentry, I guess I'm not sold on it yet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”