Forum for kitesurfers
AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Rope Spreader Bar - Tips and Tricks

Postby AirConnolly » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:20 pm

I have been riding strapless more and added a rope spreader bar. I looked through old posts and people seem to be all over the place with custom attachments and franken bars i.e. chicken loop attached through rings on the rope, a climbing carabiner, remove/modify chicken loop etc. I have a few questions if people can weigh in with what works best for them. I am using a 2019 ride engine with rope and 2017 fixed cabrinha trimlite bar with the standard chicken loop if that changes anything.

1. Do I need some type of ring set up or other modification to attach to the rope? Is the downside to hooking the chicken loop directly to the rope increased wear and tear?

2. How do you guys do a tethered launch and then attach the chicken loop to the rope? From what I've read I just have to attach the tether above the quick release? Do you attach it above the swivel or at the low V?

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: Rope Spreader Bar - Tips and Tricks

Postby iriejohn » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:35 pm

Use this and almost completely eliminate rope wear. Look on the Mystic Stealth thread.

viewtopic.php?t=2403171
IMG_20200910_212501.jpg
Last edited by iriejohn on Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:47 pm

you can use an anti friction ring as well and click your CL around it

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:15 pm

I tether launch a great deal and have been using the dynabar sliding hook. Saves having to undo the chicken loop and it has not given any problems. If you want one, Google dynabar sliding hook, they are sold separately as a replacement. Minimal wear and the smoothness of a wheel.

The following is how I use it for tethered launches:
Having connected the leash, I just release the chicken loop from tether by opening the tether carabineer and holding the CL. I then hook in, then set the dd retainer as normal. In well powered conditions the kite may be bouncing and sometimes airborne but it is still fairly easy to hook in, whereas a click in loop maybe ok but an older fiddly CL might be a bit more challenging. Obviously a hook is not quite as secure as a ring but that is ok for me.

PS I assume you know there are CL with low friction reinforcement designed for runners. The infexion qr and SS rings looks good for multi bars. You can tether above the CL and connect/hook in before releasing tether but a bit less convenient imho.
Having short arms or a desire to get the bar as close as possible to the body is a consideration for some folk.
Last edited by Herman on Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:27 am

I don't like anything that adds length to the chickenloop. I would only consider a low friction ring or Talon type chickenloop as alternatives to what I currently use. Both shorten the chickenloop slightly.

I chickenloop directly to the rope. The Core chickenloop is covered with a hard plastic that offers good glide and minimal wear to the rope and chickenloop. After 6 years the chickenloop shows only a very slight deformation to the plastic. I replace the rope about every 12 to 18 months (usually before travel for kiting).

For tethered launches, I shackle above the chickenloop.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:20 am

I have used a double ring setup: slightly less wear (of both rope and chickenloop) and less friction. I hooked into it directly and found the little extra length no problem.

I have also hooked into the rope directly, but this means more friction and more wear and tear.

I have experimented with the Wichard setup, using the same double rings. And, I should add, with a low friction block by Ronstan).

I have recently switched to a dedicated wave CL, with a steel slider. It slides best of all the setups, by far, has no wear and tear of the CL, and much less wear of the rope. I don't care much about the latter: I do love the smooth sliding.

I don't do tethered launching, but I could see myself doing it without any issues. The wave CL re-engages very easily, a one hand click.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 am

or6 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:20 am
I have used a double ring setup: slightly less wear (of both rope and chickenloop) and less friction. I hooked into it directly and found the little extra length no problem.

I have also hooked into the rope directly, but this means more friction and more wear and tear.

I have experimented with the Wichard setup, using the same double rings. And, I should add, with a low friction block by Ronstan).

I have recently switched to a dedicated wave CL, with a steel slider. It slides best of all the setups, by far, has no wear and tear of the CL, and much less wear of the rope. I don't care much about the latter: I do love the smooth sliding.

I don't do tethered launching, but I could see myself doing it without any issues. The wave CL re-engages very easily, a one hand click.
I think it is fair to say that both the below slide better than all the setups you have so far tried ...
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 am
Matt Air wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:46 am
iriejohn wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:29 pm
This is the best solution - almost all friction absorbed by the pulley rolling on the 6mm stainless shackle bolt so virtually no rope wear.

That looks great! Have been using dynabar for several years. Got the stealth bar and harness. How did u make that or where did you get it. Looks like the same pulley/wheel from dynabar but welded with a ring? Agree that less friction equals less wear

Matt
It's the pulley wheel (which has a 6mm ID) from my old Dynabar on a 6mm shackle. The 4mm x 25mm 316 stainless ring was welded onto the shackle by a local company who do stainless welding, cost was peanuts.

The Dynabar pulley wheels can now be sourced from Shapeways.com

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G2GJ5 ... d=64344779

Shackles with slotted pins (less for rope to tangle on) are widely available, eg

https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/6mm-stainl ... -slot-pin/

as are 316 stainless rings. A larger ring could be used if required, of course.

I now have an Infexion.eu seat belt QR, one version of which has a 6mm shackle, with my Dynabar wheel on it.
Here it is on my Mystic Stealth rope spreader bar. I think that Infexion.eu can now supply their QR with a wheel fitted.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:32 am

Petzel makes a carabiner with a wheel that I have used:

They also make some small pulleys that might work- https://m.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Pulleys

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:22 pm

Tips on tethering:

Launching:
It is kite dependent. Most if not all of my LEIs will sit ok tethered above the trimstrap in powered conditions. In light wind some may tend to fall forward, then you need to tether below the trim strap and trim out some to suit the conditions.
As already said nowadays I normally just tether the CL and trim all in for powered conditions. Light wind I may have a little trim out.

Landing:
On my small kites I have a very long throw, almost total depower, but if I was being overpowered on one of my big kites I would put the tether on the ring I have at the top of the trim strap ( unless it is just flag out time.).

PS On my sandbag I have a large carabineer for CL and a small witchard hook for trimstrap and flag rings. Small hook also used for pumpleash when inflating.

AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot

Postby AirConnolly » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks for all of the responses. I will experiment with a higher tether point and see how difficult it is to connect the CL. I still ride a twin tip a fair amount, so it looks like a dedicated strapless bar with a direct connection might be the best option.

Return to “Kitesurfing”