Slingshot Widowmaker 2015
Saul Customs - Modified Pure 2.0
Ronix One boots
Mystic Majestic X
Manera wetsuit
Brand Affiliation: None

Shiny Bronq advice

Postby NorwayIsCold » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:42 am

To owners or people who have tried Shinn Bronq boards - how are they? How is chop handling and pop? Is it a good boosting board?
Interested in later Bronq models- backspacer/Luigi/crb-4

Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shiny Bronq advice

Postby Ianw » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:17 am

NorwayIsCold wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:42 am
To owners or people who have tried Shinn Bronq boards - how are they? How is chop handling and pop? Is it a good boosting board?
I had the CRB-4 previously now since May the Bronq Luigi. Mike Burts description of the Luigi is spot on I agree with his description both the CRB and Luigi feel very playful and agile underfoot also when you are going upwind the rail buries itself without the need for excessive back foot pressure. It terms of chop handling, no face spray, pop & boosting all excellent but would suggest you try before buying to your liking. I felt the Luigi is slightly stiffer than the CRB but that's maybe because it's still very new. Also both are great & very kind on your knees. I would definitely recommend either one.

Badgast
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen, The Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Capetown, Fuerteventura, Tarifa, Porto Pollo, Cabarete
Gear: Naish Pivot 2020 7m & 9m, Ozone Edge 2013 11m, Ocean Rodeo Flite 2016 14.5m, Shinn Monk 2015, Shinn Bronq 2019, Liquid Force Moon Patrol, Slingshot Celeritas

Postby Badgast » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:37 am

For what is worth, I'm able to compare the Shinn Monk 2015 with a Shinn Bronq 2015 (first model). I've owed both (still own and are currently still using the Monk). I bought the Bronq without testing and based my decision to buy one on the basis of user feedback and reviews. After using both for some months (almost a year) I decided to sell the Bronq as I found it a bit too power hungry. Relatively comparable boards, however I find the Monk a bit more playful (and I was and am just having more fun with it). Both are very good in handling chop. Pop is fine of both for my needs (typical freerider, jumping and carving in choppy, North Sea conditions). I'm curious about more recent versions (both Monk and Bronq). Also interested in trying Lieuwe Shotgun and Naish Motion.
These users thanked the author Badgast for the post (total 2):
iriejohn (Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 am) • Mike101 (Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:45 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:10 pm

I've got the CRB-4. Lots of grip in the rail, very good jumper. I was surprised about the amount of flex, easily the most of any board I had ever owned. Certainly no regrets.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:21 pm

NorwayIsCold wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:42 am
I haven’t tried the newer models, however I am riding a Bronq 135cm(3rd gen I think) for three years now. It is an awesome board. Extremelly lightweight, solid construction, good balance between pop and rigidity. I ride mostly overpowered in choppy water, but I do use the same board in lightwinds (12kts with a 14m kite). It handles the chop very well. My version has an yellow graphic on the bottom and the hi viz fins. It makes a huuuge difference to spot and recover the board in murky waters. The pads are the SRS (with the ratchet). It works ok, however tends to change the tightness afer hard crashes and has pressure points depending on hiw you set up. Overall it is one of the best boards i have ever tried and I think that worth every penny.

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:56 pm

I rode 4 generations of Monks for many years (still have a few) but the Bronq is undoubtedly a step up in every aspect. I'm on the CRB-4 now and would not hesitate one second to grab a new Bronq Luigi if I broke or lost this one. Mike Birt's video is spot on. The Bronqs are all about speed and plushness. I'm always riding faster than anyone at my spot, and although the Bronq has a lot more pop than the Monk, it's still not a slingshot like some stiffer boards. To get big boosts with this board, you need to use the speed and time jump properly. Landings are certainly plush, though.
These users thanked the author ThickAir for the post:
Mike101 (Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:34 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

appelton
Medium Poster
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Belmont Shore / CA
Gear: Still looking for gear.

Postby appelton » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:43 am

Anyone could compare Ronson to Bronq and Monk ?

Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!

Postby Ianw » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:15 am

appelton wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:43 am

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:06 am

I own both a first edition 2015 Bronq (I think it' 138x42, sure about 42 not about 138) and a second edition Bronq XL 150x50. Both really excellent boards, never tried a better one. As Badgast says, the little one is power hungry so maybe a size more than a size less than the usual board you're riding.

appelton
Medium Poster
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Belmont Shore / CA
Gear: Still looking for gear.

Postby appelton » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Ianw wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:15 am
appelton wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:43 am
Yeah I've seen his reviews on Shinn boards some time ago. Sadly, he hasn't talked about Ronson too much.

Return to “Kitesurfing”