Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Pivot, Blade Trigger, Flysurfer Peak4 kites
RRD and Liquid Force boards
Slingshot Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

China copies of big brand kites?

Postby MartinO » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:04 pm

I came across some exceptional deals lately on new kites that almost seems to good to be true on some far away online shops, like 400-600 Euros for last years 7-10m kites from big manufacturers, meaning something like 60-70% off recommended retail price. If it was an high end road bike or even electronics I would suspect it was Chinese copies and I would stay away for sure, but with kites, I never come across any copies so far (I don´t think so at least). Especially in the bike industry those copies are well known and you have to be careful especially when buying used to not get scammed. Some riders probably have copies and don´t even know it. China kites in general and whatever-branded OEM kites have been around since the beginning of the sport, but do true counterfeit copy kites exist today?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: China copies of big brand kites?

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:14 pm

you pay cheap you get cheap.

Use the search and read the reviews...

And never forget scams from shops like that...for sure use paypal.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:23 pm

In US it’s not unusual to buy previous years brand new kites for $400-$600. Original products. Great quality. They don’t cost much to make, I’d assume $300 a piece and now with gradual exodus of big kites it is less fabric to use, less struts to stitch.

Never saw a kite copy, I don’t think those are any widespread.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Is it Liquid force by any chance? They closed down their kite department so there are a lot of closeout sales on them around for very attractive prices as no-one wants to be left with lots of stock.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:15 pm

I would never buy a copy as I find that immoral, but take for example high end wheels for bikes and they are excellent quality wise. Not the fake ones necessarily, but the best Chinese brands are absolutely top notch.

Would be great if we got some cost pressure in the kite industry. I'm looking to get a new quiver and that would cost me something like 5000 euro full retail. Without knowing much about costs I find that absurd.

For road bike wheels the Chinese have basically cut the prices with 50% for the high end (in some cases slightly more).

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Local Beach: Reservoirs in Colorado, U.S.
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, CrazyFly, Ozone, Volkl, Gath, and SeaSpecs.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:27 am

You might test them with a small order first. I’m hearing that some orders out of China aren’t getting shipped, or are having trouble clearing customs, maybe due to the China COVID pandemic which is nearing a million deaths worldwide.

merl
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Mixed, flysurfer peak, concept air pulsion, wave & firefly, various LEIs. Mostly HF these days.

Postby merl » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:49 am

MartinO wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:04 pm
I came across some exceptional deals lately on new kites that almost seems to good to be true on some far away online shops, like 400-600 Euros for last years 7-10m kites from big manufacturers, meaning something like 60-70% off recommended retail price. If it was an high end road bike or even electronics I would suspect it was Chinese copies and I would stay away for sure, but with kites, I never come across any copies so far (I don´t think so at least). Especially in the bike industry those copies are well known and you have to be careful especially when buying used to not get scammed. Some riders probably have copies and don´t even know it. China kites in general and whatever-branded OEM kites have been around since the beginning of the sport, but do true counterfeit copy kites exist today?
Far away as in outside EU? Why not post the link so we can all see. I don't think the kite market is big enough for copies. But it might be a scam site.

If you are getting 60-70% off and having to import it from outside EU then you (unlucky Swede) are going to pay 25% tax + import fees. So in reality you will get round 0.4 * 1.25 = 50% off which is close to some of the discounts you can see at kingofwatersports or www.you-love-it.eu/

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:08 pm

MartinO wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:04 pm
.... If it was an high end road bike or even electronics I would suspect it was Chinese copies and I would stay away for sure, but with kites, I never come across any copies so far (I don´t think so at least).
Ummmmm????? You do realize that most kites are actually made in China? So where would you get a copy of something that's already a cheap Chinese product?

I think the reason you don't see cheap Chinese is because that's what is already in your quiver. But some COREporation marks it up like 10 times by the time it gets to you so you think it's really expensive because you paid a ton of money for it. What you are actually thinking of is a brand that is "direct to market" from China. Same stuff, just no markup from some foreign country's (EU or United States is the foreign country in this case) COREporation.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:12 pm

merl wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:49 am
......then you (unlucky Swede) are going to pay 25% tax + import fees.....
Wow that would be a ton of money considering all of the products that are imported! I wonder who gets to keep those import fees?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:19 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:12 pm
merl wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:49 am
......then you (unlucky Swede) are going to pay 25% tax + import fees.....
Wow that would be a ton of money considering all of the products that are imported! I wonder who gets to keep those import fees?
VAT or I guess "sales tax" in the US.

In Europe that rate is usually somewhere around 20% in most countries.

Import fee is usually just a small fee paid to whoever collects the VAT. Typically around €15-20 in Norway.

It pays for all the things taxes pay for in Europe.

Return to “Kitesurfing”