Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

high wind replacement for 6m + 8m sst..Reo or something else?

Forum for kitesurfers
snowflake
Rare Poster
Gear: kite
board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

high wind replacement for 6m + 8m sst..Reo or something else?

Postby snowflake » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:46 am

Dear readers,

I currently own Slingshot SSTs in 6 and 8m (2016) I love them in their comfort zone and they are fun for foiling. However towards the highend or when overpowered they become very very grunty which I also attribute to the deep position in the wind window. Before that I had a LF Wow v1 7m, I often found myself overpowered on it so I thought I need smaller kites and replaced it with the SST in 6 and 8m. The Wow was higher aspect, and had much thinner tubes so it could be depowered pretty effectively by strong edging and sheeting the bar. I believe the 6m SST has a similar high-end. The curved front tube of the SST is amazing for water starts but annoying for snowkiting. Hard to self-land as the kites won't stay on the ground.

I am around 83kgs(182lbs) and ride the kites mainly with surfboards but also with twintips, foil and snowboard. My homespots are very gusty lakes near the alps and mountains. Unfortunately I only find waves on holidays and due to that I don't have much wave kiting experience yet, but I still enjoy riding the surfboard during our winter storms (sometimes gusting over 40knots) practising first jumps ducktacks and tacks.

A friend of mine told me I should simply try the newer SSTs? I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of the SST's amazing drift capabilities for a bit more high-end. I wonder whether the Reos could be what I am looking for or maybe someone has a different recommendation? I am looking for stable kites with very smooth power delivery which can be looped in a very controlled fashion and that feature a precise bar feel. Regarding the 8m I am leaning a bit towards the RPM as I am very happy with my 10 and 12m RPMs?

Thanks for your help!

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: high wind replacement for 6m + 8m sst..Reo or something else?

Postby bragnouff » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:45 am

I've recently renewed my wave kite quiver to the HB Legion 5-7-9. (there's a 6m in the range). There's a LOT of control of the power over all of the windrange, while retaining good steering. Thin-ish leading edge, high pressure, pulleyed bridles. I didn't get a chance to try the 5 yet, but I can't praise the 7 and 9 enough. Used them on surfboard which is their core program, but also on foil, buggy, and recently I've had 3 snowkiting sessions on the 7m, and it's an awesome kite to whip around, very precise in the steering, tight loops, wide loops, good backwards relaunch, and behaved very well whenever self landing. Definitely a super responsive kite that rewards your piloting skills. Highly recommend you give them a try if they're available in your part of the world.
IMG_20200921_132611.jpg

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:58 am

Ocean Rodeo Roam or Duotone Neo

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:01 am

why not add, instead of replace? Get a 7 SST, ride your kites in the sweetspot if you dislike being overpowered? No need to lose money selling your gear. Maybe even get a 5 meter. That's not that large when foiling, or on a directional.

If it's mainly when foiling that you're not convinced of your SST's...can't really help you there. Look for a lighter kite; Airush comes to mind, or the Kauper XT Maverick. Very light, made for foiling and waveriding, apparently also ok as a freeride kite. I've got the 5 m Maverick, but can't really review it, having only flown it on the beach.

Actually, just noticed you're thinking of the Reo. That would be a good choice, on foil and waveboard. No idea how it would work on a TT. Have only used it on a diredctional. It ís quite popular here in Holland, as a wavekite.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:14 am

Check out Ocean Rodeo's Prodigy. It's design is awesome for strong winds.
https://oceanrodeo.com/kites/prodigy/

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:41 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:14 am
Check out Ocean Rodeo's Prodigy.
Would also recommend the Ocean Rodeo Crave, great do-it-all really well kite, although 7m is the smallest they make in the Crave.

May also want to consider a 7m Aluula Roam, the useable range on the Aluula kites is fantastic, could easily be replacement for a 6 and an 8m Dacron kites.

Rob112
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hove
Lancing
Shoreham
Worthing
Goring
Gear: Pivot
Asylum
Mixer

Postby Rob112 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:50 am

The description of what you want in a kite seems to fit my experience of the F-one Bandit-s. I had great fun on a 6m in gusty 35-45 knots on my SB. Would have been having hard time on my 6m Pivot, even though all round I still prefer my Pivots.

snowflake
Rare Poster
board

Postby snowflake » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. Hmm I multiple 7 meters before and it was often too big so I want to have a smaller sized kite in my quiver. The wind at my home spots is very gusty and changes rapidly. On the fun days with the 6m I had so far I would have probably always opted for a 7m and then be overpowered because the wind usually picks up unexpectedly during the session, of course the 5m would then have been the better choice in hindsight but is hard to predict the future :)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:36 pm

I'll put in a vote for ozone enduro. A sweet do it all kite.

snowflake
Rare Poster
board

Postby snowflake » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:13 am

I still wonder how the reo behaves when overpowered, anyone? :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”