Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone ride an Apple tree Malus Domestica?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: BCS, Mexico
Favorite Beaches: Beaches and surf with as few people as possible
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Ocean Rodeo

Anyone ride an Apple tree Malus Domestica?

Postby Jwoo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:07 am

Especially interested in your opinion on waves and what fins you like? I'm looking for a new compromise board, as where I surf is a difficult up-wind open ocean tack to get to the waves (lava reef/bluffs so no launching at site). Standard surf shapes just make it too difficult. Looking for something that tacks upwind well, handles chop (artificial knee), but is still somewhat maneuverable in the surf. I'm currently riding a Tomo Vanguard, but looking for something looser that can turn quicker in faster in down the line waves. Looks like the Malus, with a little less rail and smaller tail might be a little more agile than the Tomo. Thanks!

madworld
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Re: Anyone ride an Apple tree Malus Domestica?

Postby madworld » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:14 am

Jwoo wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:07 am
Especially interested in your opinion on waves and what fins you like? I'm looking for a new compromise board, as where I surf is a difficult up-wind open ocean tack to get to the waves (lava reef/bluffs so no launching at site). Standard surf shapes just make it too difficult. Looking for something that tacks upwind well, handles chop (artificial knee), but is still somewhat maneuverable in the surf. I'm currently riding a Tomo Vanguard, but looking for something looser that can turn quicker in faster in down the line waves. Looks like the Malus, with a little less rail and smaller tail might be a little more agile than the Tomo. Thanks!
I tried it, too stiff, bullet proof construction. Feels like a diving board. Not for me, better be young with good knees. Get a custom Polyurethane surfboard.
These users thanked the author madworld for the post:
Jwoo (Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:33 am)
Rating: 8.33%

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone ride an Apple tree Malus Domestica?

Postby BudhaNl » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:18 am

Appletree kitesurf boards come in different strengths for different types of riders and weights.

From their website, you have the option of choosing hex-skin glass (heavier & more flexible) and hex-skin carbon (stiffer & lighter)
For both you have several options of build strength which of course impact flexibility & weight as well.

I've no personal experience with their own brand boards but my BWS Stallion & Stallion Overhead were produced by them. I love those exactly for their flexibility and soft feel. Once they're up to speed and you put in some pressure, the feeling is so much better compared to other surfboards I owned: FCS Firewire Vanguard, F-One Mitu & SIgnature (both bamboo).\\

So their tech gets my vote for being great to ride! In fact, I find them so nice that when BWS packed up shop, I have ordered a back-up Stallion v3 for if my Stallion v2 breaks or gets lost.

On a sidenote: the Reedin surfboards are produced by Appletree as well. If you see them up close, you see that characteristic hex pattern.
These users thanked the author BudhaNl for the post:
Jwoo (Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:32 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Return to “Kitesurfing”