Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switching from foil kite to high aspect LEI kite. Worth or not?

Forum for kitesurfers
Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switching from foil kite to high aspect LEI kite. Worth or not?

Postby Exal » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:01 am

I bought the 15m juice for that, just need a bigger twintip to get some more out of it. Pretty fast kite and fun to fly, hangtime is really nice for me with 85kg when I was out last in 15 knots. Also stays in the air with very little wind.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:12 pm

Kristan wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:25 am
Ass to relaunch. Got it. That was one of my concerns, remembering how I struggled at relaunching simple delta 12m LEI in underpowered conditions, that wasn't pleasant. But I think bigger size kite in winds I'm aiming at wouldn't be that much of a hassle. Although at most of times if I crashed Soul it simply relaunched by itself without my aid.
Not bad to relaunch. Just not the easiest.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:01 pm

The Soul is the easiest foil kite to re-launch, but it isn't consistently as trouble free re-launching as the super high aspect LEI's. Re-launching a high aspect LEI is quite easy with proper technique (modified C-kite re-launch technique works well). I might steer a beginner away from a high aspect LEI because re-launch is not automatic, but an experienced kiter will have no trouble mastering high aspect LEI re-launch techniques.

I've demo'd the 2021 Orbit, and I wouldn't put it in the same category as the very high aspect LEI's, which include the Ozone Edge, Cabrinha Apollo and Duotone Rebel. The Orbit is a nice kite, but it isn't going to approach what you've got with your Soul in terms of air-time, float, and handling gusty winds. Take a closer look at the Edge if you truly want an LEI that offers the same advantages as the Soul.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
Kristan (Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:29 pm

Soul is actually more pain to relounch than Edge in ie 12m size (11 for Edge).

Soul will bow tie on WW edge quite easily. For sure it might open up, but man, that is not for faint harted.

The only reason why I got used Soul, and regreted, is used Edge is impossible to find for decent money.

End why regreted? This:

viewtopic.php?t=2407943&p=1114095

It is applicable to any foil tho. However, not all foils are that air tight and bulky, and that has consequences. Double the amount of water, double the anchor...

Today, 15m Soul rider very very lucky escape. The landing helper error tho. Helper did not catch the kite, kite drifted than catapulted simply coz not being controlled while drifted. Rider flew through the air, straight to concrete barrier. Stopped 1or 2m before it.
I can argue that this would not happen with the Edge, coz does not drift. At least did not happen to me after 6 years riding it.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:50 pm

Switching from foil kite to high aspect LEI kite. Worth or not?

not

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:43 am

Only if one ignores everything else. Which is so obvious. When is nuking wind, we are all on LEIs boosting to the Moon. So they complement each other.

Yes.

jorg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Toronto, ON
Style: Big Air
Gear: Ten Velox, XR, Ozone Edge

Postby jorg » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:03 am

I am on the same boat as the OP. I've progressed so much on 15m Soul, can't replicate the same progress on my small LEIs in high winds. I can try anything new incl. inversions on my 15m but my small size LEIs drop me so fast I am scared of trying something new or anything I do on my Soul.
The only difference from the OP's request I like the slowness of my 15m bc the recovery is more successful than any small LEIs. it just gives more time to fix the situation.
I tried friends' 9m XR6 and Evo (2019) last weekend. I couldn't find any similarity to the 15m Soul. I need a small kite between 7 & 9m that can stay in one place, holds me there and then drops me slowly.

any suggestions?

info: TT rider
gusty conditions (usually 10knts différence)
75kg
Last edited by jorg on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:53 am

jorg wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:03 am
I am on the same boat like the OP. I've progressed so much on 15m Soul, can't replicate same progress on my small LEIs in high winds. I can try anything new incl. inversions on 15m but my small size LEIs drop me so fast I am scared of trying something new or anything I do on my Soul.
The only difference from the OP's request I like the slowness of 15m bc the recovery is more successful than any small LEIs. it just gives more time to fix the situation.
I tried friends' 9m XR6 and Evo last weekend. I couldn't find anything similar to 15m Soul. I need a small kite between 7 & 9m that can stay in one place, holds me there and then drops me slow.

any suggestions?

75kg
Might try Ten Velox. I think it's the highest aspect LEI available at the moment.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:54 am

jorg wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:03 am
I am on the same boat like the OP. I've progressed so much on 15m Soul, can't replicate same progress on my small LEIs in high winds. I can try anything new incl. inversions on 15m but my small size LEIs drop me so fast I am scared of trying something new or anything I do on my Soul.
The only difference from the OP's request I like the slowness of 15m bc the recovery is more successful than any small LEIs. it just gives more time to fix the situation.
I tried friends' 9m XR6 and Evo last weekend. I couldn't find anything similar to 15m Soul. I need a small kite between 7 & 9m that can stay in one place, holds me there and then drops me slow.

any suggestions?

75kg
Might try Ten Velox. I think it's the highest aspect LEI available at the moment.
These users thanked the author Faxie for the post:
jorg (Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:26 am

Kristan wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:54 am
I've been pondering for (switching from foil kite to high aspect LEI). So, what's your experience with high aspect LEIs? Especially how do they work in the gusts.
CONGRATULATIONS on making the move Kristan and for recognising the inherent inferiority of foil (ram air) kites. On so many fundamental levels LEIs are better. Please let me know if you'd like details. :thumb:

Pumpy ........:pump:

Return to “Kitesurfing”