Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to dislocate and bruise ribs with a harness?

Forum for kitesurfers
BrunoC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to dislocate and bruise ribs with a harness?

Postby BrunoC » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:26 pm

There seems to be quite a bit of chatter recently here and on Facebook groups centered around folks looking for solutions to bruised ribs. I’ve been riding for almost 7 years and usually ride hard, overpowered and try and boost to the moon but up until a month ago I never had any major issues with dislocating and bruising ribs.

In my case I was overpowered in gusty conditions and just as I sent kite to jump it flew into a huge gust, ripped the harness up my body and twisted the spreader bar into my rib. I’ve read most of the seat vs waist threads but didn’t see too much on spreader bar stability...will the same thing happen in a seat harness that I described, just lower?

Are most folks who are damaging their ribs, doing it while riding or when slamming? Kinda curious the mechanics of how this happens.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Re: How to dislocate and bruise ribs with a harness?

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:59 pm

BrunoC wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:26 pm
....ripped the harness up my body and twisted the spreader bar into my rib..... will the same thing happen in a seat harness that I described, just lower?.....
Sorry to hear about your injury, BrunoC. Sounds painful.

I've always felt that spreader bar stability depends on having a correctly sized, good quality, stiff spreader bar pad, which keeps the spreader bar relatively stationary. If your harness rips, then all bets are off. I've had some rib/torso injuries from hard slams from high places ( :o ), but never from a spreader bar.

I'd think that a twisting spreader bar on a seat harness would impact the stomach area below the ribs. Similarly, a seat harness (vs. waist) wouldn't generally cause bruises or chaffing in the rib area. Again, if the harness rips while you're in the air, the rules change.

Hope you're back on the water soon.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:05 pm

My worst injury so far was a bruised rip.

I have a seat harness, but the hook is pretty high.

Not sure what happened, but I think the spreader bar slammed into the rips at a crash.

What I see as high potential of a rip injury is when you crash backwards with high speed and the water gets in between you and the harness, then I several times felt a lot of pressure on the ribs, but so far so good...but if I had higher speeds I wonder what would have happened...

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:23 pm

I used to get sore ribs and it was the ends of the the ribs getting rubbed and irritated, and I was using a seat harness. It went away when I got a J-Bar hook, and I think it was the ability for it to swivel up and down that helped. I went back to a regular hook recently and haven’t had problems with a newer seat harness. I want to move to a waist harness, probably the new Mystic with their new hook that prevents twisting, maybe with a impact vest for more protection.

Years ago I saw a guy being helped as he walked back up the beach with a big lump on the side of his rib cage where he had broken a rib - I’ll never forget the look of pain on his face.

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, & Moses Hydrofoil

Postby TheRussian » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:55 pm

I broke a few back ribs in the same manner described by Toby, I fractured a lower front rib jumping in gusty onshore conditions - this is the pesky rib that seems to dislike the Mystic Stealth spreader bar, as it is (sadly) appx 1/2 inch wider than the RRD and the bar moves upwards enough on the pop phase of the jump to irritate the rib (even when the straps are tightened so hard my waist is reduced to 20inches!). For me the RRD waist harnesses are the answer - I had a session using my Shield yesterday and not even a twinge of pain at anytime. I have had a few RRD Shift Pros and they are similarly very good & they should be even better as they have a separate lower webbing buckle to limit upward spreader bar movement,,, but the Shield is as good & is in blingy carbon

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:05 pm

Personally, I like the climbing harness plus waist harness combo. The biner webbing goes over the hook and this prevents upward hook rotation. Particularly popular with snow kiters and landboarders who use a lot of upward pull but it works on water as well. Extra phaff but may be worth it to protect an injury.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:15 pm

My rib injury was from a muffed kite loop. Got driven into the water from 20’ up and landed on my side where the harness spreader bar end got driven into my first few ribs. Dislocated ribs 9,10 that would pop back in and out for months. left me with a bump how it healed. I used the Dakine Nitrous shorts for a year after. They keep the hook very low, nowhere near the ribs. Probably lower than most seat harnesses. Very comfortable but not great for surfboard without a slider.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:22 pm

I cracked a rib 15 years ago on a fubbed back roll kite loop at low altitude. I never figured out how. I think it was water impact, but it could have been the bar. Didn't have any bruising on the surface. Water is hard, even a 2 m fall at speed.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:06 pm

Torn muscle in my abs boosting. Issue is I’ve lost a lot of weight over summer and my harness is probably to big for me know.

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Gear: various
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BrunoC » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:32 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:59 pm
BrunoC wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:26 pm
....ripped the harness up my body and twisted the spreader bar into my rib..... will the same thing happen in a seat harness that I described, just lower?.....
Sorry to hear about your injury, BrunoC. Sounds painful.

I've always felt that spreader bar stability depends on having a correctly sized, good quality, stiff spreader bar pad, which keeps the spreader bar relatively stationary. If your harness rips, then all bets are off. I've had some rib/torso injuries from hard slams from high places ( :o ), but never from a spreader bar.

I'd think that a twisting spreader bar on a seat harness would impact the stomach area below the ribs. Similarly, a seat harness (vs. waist) wouldn't generally cause bruises or chaffing in the rib area. Again, if the harness rips while you're in the air, the rules change.

Hope you're back on the water soon.
I should have worded my description better...I didn’t rip the harness (ride engine carbon). The harness just got yanked so hard when I sent the kite into the gust it ended up high on my torso. I think I got lucky since my ribs are visually in a different spot and feel different but after 2-weeks I was back in 30mph winds riding the same size kites as folk weighing 75-90 lbs more than me. Just not sure if I should go seat (seems like I wouldn’t be able to hold down as much kite) or try the new Ride Engine setup since it may prevent the spreader bar from twisting.

Regards I don’t need to mess up any more ribs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”