Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Torn biceps tendon, perhaps holding bar incorrectly

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:59 am

I had my right shoulder rotator cuff torn tendon, the dorsal one, re-attached today. Doc also noted that part of my biceps tendon is irreversibly torn. The likely cause of that is that I hold the bar incorrectly. When riding on port tack, my favored side as i am regular stance, i hold the bar with my right hand inverted, which allows me to use my bicep for pulling in the bar and holding it in during jumps. I realized this is not good in the past few months when my shoulder was hurting, but it is now awkward to do it right for jumping, but i will have to do so once i recover.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
RickI (Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:03 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Re: Torn biceps tendon, perhaps holding bar incorrectly

Postby edt » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:39 am

When the arm is bent with the hand pronated the biceps is in its strongest position doesn't seem likely to tear that way. On the other hand any time you crash and extend your hand fully to soften the cash if the hand catches something or hits the ground it's easy to tear because the joint is in its weakest position. Wind surfers commonly use the over and under grip and seem to be fine with it. Make sure when you crash to not brace yourself with your arm

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: North rebels 10, 13
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor pro 132x41

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:15 am

edt wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:39 am
When the arm is bent with the hand pronated the biceps is in its strongest position doesn't seem likely to tear that way. On the other hand any time you crash and extend your hand fully to soften the cash if the hand catches something or hits the ground it's easy to tear because the joint is in its weakest position. Wind surfers commonly use the over and under grip and seem to be fine with it. Make sure when you crash to not brace yourself with your arm
Yeah, i'm guilty of doing this..

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:00 am

Unless things have changed from my day, the windsurfer tends to hold his front hand inverted and it is more for comfortable joint orientation rather than power. If I understand correctly you are holding the back hand inverted and as edt says this is the most powerful position.

This also means that in this position you can hold the bicep locked and put higher load on the tendons and bone. Arm wrestlers occasionally break the bone rather than tear the bicep. If the hand is the other way round it will stretch out sooner and not be able to impart such a high load. But bear in mind I am not a medic I am only speaking from an engineering point of view and this factor may not have been influential regarding your injury.

PS From a mind set point of view it feels more natural for me to relax my arm out (to absorb shock) if the palm is down and more natural to brace if my palm is up but again your injury could have come from over extension as well as overload etc. Also this mind set may be an individual thing developed over years of type of use and may not apply to you etc.
Last edited by Herman on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:27 am

Lots of things could have caused it. It is more likely a great number of things over the course of a long time unless you have had some traumatic injury that tore it once. I have had a few surgeries to fix tears and the arthritis in both shoulders from years of heavy lifting. I had a bicep tendon rupture last year on my left arm at the elbow while wake boarding. No hard crash just pulling a front 3 popping off of a rail. It hardly bruised since it was barely connected.

As far as how your holding the bar I doubt that is what caused it. Unless your riding so over powered that bar is getting yanking your arms to be fully extended while your trying your hardest to fight it. Bicep tears are usually the result of muscle getting over extended by force while contracting against it. A prime example is power lifters doing dead lifts. Just youtube that and you can see it happen.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Local Beach: Reservoirs in Colorado, U.S.
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, CrazyFly, Ozone, Volkl, Gath, and SeaSpecs.

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:03 am

Antibiotics can cause weakness in muscles and tendons, leading to tears according to articles, and a doctor mentioned it to me. Maybe other drugs could also affect them.

Aging also weakens tissues, for example the walls of disks in the back get thinner making them more prone to injury.

And maybe there were smaller injuries that caused weakness before this injury.

Not saying it happened here, but maybe something other than physical force contributed to the injury.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: No brand affiliation
Has thanked: 0

Postby alexeyga » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:05 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:39 am
When the arm is bent with the hand pronated the biceps is in its strongest position doesn't seem likely to tear that way.
Arguably - this is also when the bicep is the most exposed to tearing.

With that said, unless kiting is the only sporting activity one has ever undertaken in his life  -  I can hardly see a thorn biceps on the list of kiting related injuries.     It takes a lot of strain to tear a bicep - not the kind of loads we ever experience even on kites with the heaviest bar pressure.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:33 pm

like thejoe said above, if you watch power lifting and crossfit I have never seen a bicep tear with the bicep in it's strongest position, that is in a pull up near the top, on a bicep curl with the arm bent, you always see the bicep tear on a deadlift with the arm fully extended or other exercises like that. When the bicep is in a position where it has the most mechanical advantage that is when it's least likely to tear. When the bicep is in the position where it's weakest (arm fully extended, wrist pronated) that's when you see the tears.

I don't know the physics of why this is. It does make sense that if your bicep is in it's strongest position maybe that's when it can exert the most force but watching bicep tears over the years, the way it always happens is when the bicep is in it's weakest position. Just how it is.

I seriously doubt riding with the underhand grip will cause any problems other than style issues. It looks a bit better to ride over hand that's it.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:32 pm

But the injury is not a bicep tear it is the tendon. Hence my point about the contracted bicep being able to damage the tendon or bone. However I don’t think this could be important unless it induced a brace for impact type injury on a landing, where a curled braced arm could transfer a higher load to the bicep tendon and perhaps shoulder. Other than that it is probably just a matter of style. As already said it should not matter for normal riding.

The trouble with crashing they are all different, sometimes better to be braced other times better to be relaxed. Generally I try to relax and if possible avoid a sudden stop!

But most important of all get well soon Hugh and hope you get good treatment etc

PS During your rehab you might come across a body blade. I recently bought one for shoulder maintenance and rate it as pretty useful. Might be able to try one once you are into your physio. Good luck!

Exal
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:42 pm

I don't know guys but when you have an age like hugh2 and still go full force in waves and do boosting all bets are off. Stuff breaks 😬 speedy recovery!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”