Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Torn biceps tendon, perhaps holding bar incorrectly

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Torn biceps tendon, perhaps holding bar incorrectly

Postby tautologies » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:45 pm

I'm with EDT on this. My rotator cuff is screwed (actually partially both), but no bicep tendon problems, but it happens when landing with outstrethched arms and when leaning on the arm because I drag in the water on fast bottom turns, and stick it on the water off the top of the wave. It has cause long terms problems that gets spikes in problems like when I had a big crash skiing last winter. Always when the arm is over stretched.

Its always fully stretched out. To me its obvious because the tendons are stretched beyond its max point and tears happen.
Same thing goes for snapping achilles...its when you land from contracted to out-stretched that it goes bang.

Dave, there are specific very strong types of antibiotics that can contribute to tearing tendons. Most don't. Also, when you need antibiotics, its better to take them, but yeah don't take them if you do not have an infection.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:49 pm

Sorry I didn't mean bicep tear above I meant to say "bicep tendon".

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:57 pm

Thanks all, i still will try to go overhand on my right arm in future. i have had my share of big crashes in 15 years of kiting, but none where i felt anything in my right arm or shoulder that i recall. hopefully all of this will resolve in a few months and i can get back to kiting, my only real exercise. but likely will miss the cape town season, even if i could get there from usa where the corona is out of control and sa is not accepting tourists from usa.

Daversj
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sag Harbor
Style: Like it all...
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha,Naish,North,Corevac surfboard

Postby Daversj » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:30 am

I tore my bicep tendon when i tore my rotator cuff. Crashed on a wave and saw kite was going to land in water. So while being buried by the wave i looped the kite with one arm so it would be at 12 when i emerged. Worked well but i heard and felt my shoulder tear when the kite looped. Being covered by water created to much resistance and i didn't drag during the loop.

My arm was outstretched when it happened. Dont pull loops while underwater.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:21 am

^^I sort of regret talking about the braced bicep perhaps being a factor as it is probably a red herrings. Stems from seeing a strongman competition where a guy managed to give himself a spiral fracture in the humerus during an arm wrestle. His bicep, which was well contracted at the time, was not damaged. Of course it was one hell of a bicep. Obviously you can get injured in all sorts of ways. Perhaps the discussion should have concentrated on whether it is worth Hugh changing his grip otrientation. Keeping in mind shoulder protection may be the most important aspect.

The description of your injury got me thinking. If I was given the task of swinging across a ravine using a ring on the end of a rope by one arm I would choose the palm down grip all day long because the shoulder joint is in a more comfortable position when the arm is hanging outstretched. (This is also the preferred grip on the high bar for great swings, the reversed grip is a challenge.)

Therefore I think Hugh’s decision to work on a grip change is the wise choice. Get better soon..........

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:30 pm

Hugh, I can almost guarantee that your problem was not caused by your grip. It may have made things worse but it wasn't the cause. You said you were having your dorsal rotator cuff tendon repaired. I am guessing that it was the supraspinatus as this is the tendon that often bites it with a dislocation. So at some time you probably dislocated your shoulder. It may have gone back in immediately but the damage was done. Odds are you did your biceps tendon in at the same time. It is usually the long head of the biceps and when it cuts loose will give you a Pop-eye muscle. In my case it was 25 years before it cut loose. You were smart to get the suprspinatus repaired. I waited too long and now mine can't be repaired.
When you injure anything your body responds by creating an inflammation around the site. Swelling, increased blood flow. The blood vessels become very permeable so white cells and other stuff can get to the site of the injury. This actually weakens the tissues so if you "push through the pain" you are at increased risk of damaging the tissues more. Think of all those white cells like pac-men gobbling up all the damaged stuff. In areas where there is good blood flow the damaged stuff is replaced. In areas like tendons and cartilage where the blood flow is not all that crash hot it often doesn't get replaced and each time you hurt it, even a little bit, you loose a bit more. With each injury it takes less to injury it next time until one fine day you fall a little hard or try and lift something a bit heavy and snap. It often does not take very much at all for the final tear. The good news is that other than making your biceps look a bit weird it doesn't hamper you too much.
Anything you can do so you are not hurting at the end of a session is the right decision or at least both shoulders hurt equally. If this means changing your grip than that is what you should do. Shorter sessions, more breaks, fewer high impact tricks.
Good luck with your recovery.
These users thanked the author Grizwald for the post:
Hugh2 (Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:53 am)
Rating: 8.33%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:10 am

Thanks for that, Grizwald. indeed it was the supraspinatus that was completely torn loose and the surgeon estimates up to 12 month old injury, which coincides with painting ceilings in cape town last december. i'm just surprised that pain only started mid-June. anyway, muscle had retracted a lot, so he had a struggle getting it reattached. He put two screws into the bone and then sewed the tendon to them. apparently it will all fuse together over the three weeks of arm immobilization. He said shoulder surgery is the most painful, so i got a nerve block in my neck that helped for the first night. the second night was rough, had to intersperse the prescribed hydrocodone at four hour intervals with south african codeine supply at two hours. middle of night i was ready to ask my wife to take me to emergency room to plead for some morphine. anyway, today is one week in and i have taken no painkillers all day. two more weeks of immobilized arm, then five weeks of PT. only other problem apart from near complete inactivity, and one hand typing, is sleeping in a recliner. cant yet figure out a way to sleep lying down without the shoulder aching.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:50 am

Shoulders are not that bad as far as pain goes. I have had 3 shoulder surgeries and I will take them any day over my ankle surgery. But it is a huge inconvenience to immobilize an arm even worse if it's your dominant arm. Best of luck to you on your recovery.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:00 am

IMG_1287.jpg
Public service announcement. Don't paint ceilings like this. i did six of them, two coats each. get a long-handle roller at least, preferably pay someone else! definitely not when you are 64. before that in the summer i scraped, sanded, and painted my garage, and in the fall the same on my 34ft sailboat. i will never do those things again, my right shoulder is now far too valuable to allow me to return to sailing and kiting. at the time it never crossed my mind this might be the consequence. and kiting all of january and february in cape town with some big crashes, and then multiple hatteras trips this summer probably just made things worse, as Grizwald suggests.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9
Has thanked: 0

Postby piccio » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:25 am

painting ceiling is the worse exercise we can do for back and shoulder .should be made with abdominal in tension and changing arm every 5 min.better at our age pay someone else as you say.......we can say is the right winter to recover .......hope we can have some session in milnerton maybe march....ciao

Return to “Kitesurfing”