Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone 2021 Clickbar for foiling

Forum for kitesurfers
oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:26 pm
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Duotone 2021 Clickbar for foiling

Postby oregonkiter » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:02 pm

Weigh in, please.

Personally, I want and need long throw for foiling, and I like the new seatbelt style chicken loops. where I foil the ability to trim kite on the fly is required. I am not a shackle fan--been there done that. Currently modding some older bars for a longer throw. Kinda fun. My Airush Cleat Bar is close at 25" of throw, but I need a few more inches, and there is no good way that I can come up with to extend the pu coated double rope depower.

I have yet to see any manufacturers post throw length. Seems like most are now producing foil specific kites, but still with the standard 18" of powered riding throw bars.

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2218
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 338 times
Been thanked: 172 times

Re: Duotone 2021 Clickbar for foiling

Postby iriejohn » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:24 pm

Make your own trim/depower lines. For example 4" longer to give you 29" throw then put 4" pigtail extensions on the flying lines to compensate (no need for the PU trim line cover btw).

Also be aware that, because the Click bar has 'square' section PU covering depower/trim, if you sheet in/out while turning the trim can jam in the bar eye.

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:26 pm
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Duotone 2021 Clickbar for foiling

Postby oregonkiter » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:00 pm

Okay. Just used 1/8” dyneema to make a longer depower for my Compstick. I added 8” to overall length (double over = 4”). Ended up losing 1/2 of extra length with the Brummell splice and burying a long tail which as I think about it after the fact will shorten the line. Not quit ready to rig for America’s Cup crew yet...

I’ll see how 2 extra inches feels.
These users thanked the author oregonkiter for the post:
iriejohn (Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:15 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2218
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 338 times
Been thanked: 172 times

Re: Duotone 2021 Clickbar for foiling

Postby iriejohn » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:17 pm

oregonkiter wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:00 pm
Okay. Just used 1/8” dyneema to make a longer depower for my Compstick. I added 8” to overall length (double over = 4”). Ended up losing 1/2 of extra length with the Brummell splice and burying a long tail which as I think about it after the fact will shorten the line. Not quit ready to rig for America’s Cup crew yet...

I’ll see how 2 extra inches feels.
Good job. A little more practice and you'll wonder why you ever thought you'd need a new bar. 8)

As far as the "length cost" of regular and Brummel splices with different rope diameters is concerned I only have some rules of thumb for 5mm (13/64") and they depend on the length of the bury. I just make it up as I go along. :wink:

wavy navy
Medium Poster
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:30 pm
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Duotone 2021 Clickbar for foiling

Postby wavy navy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:02 pm

Build your DIY KISS Bar. Seatbelt QR. No adjuster, just 55-65cm depowerthrow, depending on kitesize. So easy and way better than standard solutions.
I'm so happy with my KISS Bar. See gear builders section.

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:26 pm
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Duotone 2021 Clickbar for foiling

Postby oregonkiter » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:49 am

Thanks for the motivation.

A buddy showed me how to splice kite line today. Built up two bars with 20m lines, cut down from 23m. Added several inches of throw with custom depower line. Made from parting out 4 Compsticks that were in my van 4 years ago keeping our 6 month old American Labrador puppy amused... Bought 20' of 1/8 dyneema doubled into itself for new, longer depower ropes.
These users thanked the author oregonkiter for the post:
iriejohn (Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:29 am)
Rating: 8.33%

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6588
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 117 times

Re: Duotone 2021 Clickbar for foiling

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:08 am

Yeah I liked everything about it ... except for the clicking trim function :D When I'm foiling I go from full to zero trim, rarely much in-between. So, power up, tack out, trim in, diddle about on the swell. Prefer the Cab Recoil straps to the cleat too.

I'd like to make up a long throw bar too. Like I've said before, I wish I hadn't sold my Ocean Rodeo bar from about 2012...

I still think a trim system is relevant, and being able to trim while riding, so for me it'd be a matter of tracking down a below-the-bar CL and a decent bar with soft ends... Been eyeing up the Naish ones lurking about in the clubhouse shed...

User avatar
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2218
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 338 times
Been thanked: 172 times

Re: Duotone 2021 Clickbar for foiling

Postby iriejohn » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:31 am

oregonkiter wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:49 am
Thanks for the motivation.

A buddy showed me how to splice kite line today. Built up two bars with 20m lines, cut down from 23m. Added several inches of throw with custom depower line. Made from parting out 4 Compsticks that were in my van 4 years ago keeping our 6 month old American Labrador puppy amused... Bought 20' of 1/8 dyneema doubled into itself for new, longer depower ropes.
:thumb:

nixmatters
Frequent Poster
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:38 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Duotone 2021 Clickbar for foiling

Postby nixmatters » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Get the Infexion bar with their Seatbelt QR. No chicken loop though, but for foiling you don't really need one.
Ingenious concept with only one QR attached to your harness, rather than a QR for every bar you own.
Front or back lines trim, they offer both

User avatar
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1600
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:00 am
Has thanked: 170 times
Been thanked: 141 times

Re: Duotone 2021 Clickbar for foiling

Postby purdyd » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:25 pm

oregonkiter wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:02 pm
Weigh in, please.

Personally, I want and need long throw for foiling, and I like the new seatbelt style chicken loops. where I foil the ability to trim kite on the fly is required. I am not a shackle fan--been there done that. Currently modding some older bars for a longer throw. Kinda fun. My Airush Cleat Bar is close at 25" of throw, but I need a few more inches, and there is no good way that I can come up with to extend the pu coated double rope depower.

I have yet to see any manufacturers post throw length. Seems like most are now producing foil specific kites, but still with the standard 18" of powered riding throw bars.
I use the click bar foiling. Nice long throw, easy adjustment, repeatable adjustment which is nice when it is light.

Clean.

Relatively heavy.

The winding mechanism is pretty bullet proof.

When I first got it I thought it was sticky on the pu, not an issue now, even when turning.

Expensive.

Haven’t tried the new bar with the new lines.

The front vee can be high low or middle so there is some thick leader for about 10 meters on the front line, think it would be nicer if that was shorter, less drag.

The click bar does NOT have a one handed chicken loop reset like some of the newer bars.

I feel like there is a home made lightweight rear line adjusting bar in my future.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 22 guests