Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Orbit 2021 vs. Raptor V1 vs. Flysurfer Boost

Postby Ice101 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:26 pm

Nem0 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:22 pm
https://kitesurfingmag.com/2020-big-air-kites-tested/
This review says that 3 strut are behind 5 strut regarding big air. That’s why I asked for Orbit 2021 vs. Raptor V1 😎
Yes but then you found fault with all the 5 strut big air ones everyone suggested that have been designed and renound for that job??

NotsoShort
Rare Poster
Gear: 14m RPM
10m RPM
Been thanked: 0

Postby NotsoShort » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:35 pm

I suppose you need to get a demo if you can . No matter what reviews there are, a kite is personal to you. I’ve always liked Slingshot RPMs and never got on with the feel of North or Cabrinha kites. Getting hold of slingshot in UK feels more limited over the years as most shops sell more North or duotone.

I’m looking at getting a kite to boost , I’ve only managed to demo the raptor in under powered conditions as there was only 1 kite size to demo. I search the woo scores to see what’s happening, to see if what they are saying on reviews is true. The raptor hitting over 20m jumps , a kite doing what is says.

For me I’ll probably stick with slingshot as I’ve always liked the built quality of the kites and in IMO the kite lines are the best out there. You see the kite for you is an individual thing

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18-12-9-6m Flysurfer Soul + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:41 pm

Ice101 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:26 pm
Nem0 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:22 pm
https://kitesurfingmag.com/2020-big-air-kites-tested/
This review says that 3 strut are behind 5 strut regarding big air. That’s why I asked for Orbit 2021 vs. Raptor V1 😎
Yes but then you found fault with all the 5 strut big air ones everyone suggested that have been designed and renound for that job??
Sorry but I never asked for Rebel or XR6!
The headline is Orbit 2021 vs. Raptor V1 vs. Flysurfer Boost

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Nem0 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:55 am
Any comparison out there?
Searching for a new kite range...
Big air / old school for me and normal kiting (beginner) for my wife.
Which model out of this three is most recommended?

At the moment we use Boost2 and Soul/Sonic.
Only twintip riding!!!
We are at 110 and 175lbs.
My wife love the Boost2 but in higher wind it feels not that solid to me...
For light wind I guess to stay with Soul/Sonic.
The Raptor will give you more glide than the Orbit, but the Orbit will jump higher with better technique. If you plan to do any sort of powered looping with the smaller sizes, definitely take the Orbit. The larger Orbits (10m+) are a bit more lofty than the smaller ones, but I'd probably look at the Raptor for old school hangtime in larger sizes.

However, I think the most important thing you need to consider is how much fun your partner will have if she's just learning.The new 2021 Orbit will definitely be better for a beginner over the 2020, but I think the Raptor is still more beginner friendly. If these kites were my only choices and I wanted my partner to stick with kiting, I'd have to go Raptor.

I know nothing about the Boost.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2019 Duotone Rebels 9m and 12m
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2016 Naish Hero 145
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:43 am

The Rebel is mostly light bar pressure; abit heavier than say an Evo but lighter bar pressure than most kites. Not sure what difficulty you have in relaunching, the kite relaunches very easily. For standard conditions (15mph to 70 mph), its a great kite with a huge wind range if you start in the sweet spot for your weight/wind.

The two main categories right now are Big Air/Megaloop and Big Air/Old School.

For Big Air Megaloop, the Core GTS vs the Duotone Dice vs the Slingshot Raptor would be a great head to head for a review. The Dice and GTS are all over but the Raptor is non-existent in most places.

For Big Air Old School, the Duotone Rebel vs the Core XR6 vs the Ozone Edge would be an awesome review.
I flew the XR6 and a 2020 Rebel in 45-50kts in Cape Town this past January, personally I like the Rebel better but the Rebel is really hard to get a competition style megaloop. Ive flown an Ozone Edge before, good for a vanilla boost but it does mot offer enough extra hangtime over the Rebel or XR6 to entice me.

Ive been flying Rebels (9,10,12,13) over the last few years for my personal riding although I think this upcoming cycle I do a 10 Dice/12 Rebel. The Rebel is great even for a powered kiteloop, it just’s just hard to get the kite to do a low loop like a megaloop and thats all the rage nowadays. Also when the wind is 50kts, the extra power of the Rebel/XR6 make them a handful compared to a Dice. A more active power dynamic vs passive power draw becomes desirable for going huge in those conditions. In contrast if Im putting up a 12 (upt o about 30kts), the extra power is nice and comfy.

The Orbit looks interesting, I have yet to test it (so no opinion other than noting its a 1st gen design). Still rare sight on beaches altho not impossible to find. How it fits the two sub-categories of Big Air is an interesting question.

Never heard of the Boost.

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:55 am

dracop wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:43 am
The two main categories right now are Big Air/Megaloop and Big Air/Old School.

The Orbit looks interesting, I have yet to test it (so no opinion other than noting its a 1st gen design). Still rare sight on beaches altho not impossible to find. How it fits the two sub-categories of Big Air is an interesting question.
Smaller Orbits <10m - Big Air / Megaloop
Larger Orbits >10m - Big Air / Old School

The kites feel different depending on the size. I feel the 11/10m are kinda hybrids between floaty and loopy. The 10m more loopy than floaty and the 11m more floaty than loopy.

Orbit is a hard kite to compare against as there just isn't anything like it on the market. I will say I'm not going to replace my big Rebels for big Orbits though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”