Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: Which Twintip?

Postby Blackened » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:32 pm

direnc wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:42 pm
You get spray in the face with the Trax? Trax should be one of the few boards with little to no spray, AFAIK.
Maybe something odd with the size/year you have, or somewhat bad setup. Tried a different stance width, or moving straps forward etc? I can’t stand boards that spray. Should be the single worst flaw a board can have IMO.
I have a 2019 Trax Carbon and it sprays me in the face unless the footpads are in the perfect spot - and I'm 190cm. It still sprays even when perfectly placed, but into my legs/midsection and not my face (mostly). Great board, flies upwind, perfect amount of grip, and very comfortable for a carbon. Very fragile though. Swapped to an Atmos and got 0 spray every place I move the pads.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windrider1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:08 am

I didnt like the radical 6 in chop or powered riding at all its more of a medium to lower wind board in my opinion. It just didnt feel very solid under those conditions.

Ice101 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:02 am
See if you can find a flysurfer radical 6. Great board. Great for jumps and great for rough water Like the monarch very controllable in all conditions but a bit more flex and easier in the knees. The flysurfer board is also designed by shinn even though they don’t get as much attention as his own boards do but they have the same magic if not more and as not quite as popular cause half the people don’t know who design them can probably be found a bit cheaper. I prefer there pads too.:-)

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:13 am

Alot of people never realize how much different one type of board is from the other . Alot of people buy garbage boards just because its cheap or a good deal and never know what its like to have a solid nicely rockered board under their feet. IT really ups the fun factor by 10 :D .

elmarco wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:37 pm
Airush Apex for the win. fast, skatey (if you put smaller fins), cranks upwind, handles chop well.
History on me and why I like it:
I learned to kite on a wakeboard (coming from a wakeboard background).
Then I got a liquid force Mission (which is practically a wakeboard!!!)
Kept that for way too long and then moved to a Best Profanity, which was way better at staying upwind than the mission or my old wakeboard. (but in reality was still a terrible board to go upwind!!) I tried friends boards in between, and they were always too locked in and a boring ride.
I then tried an Airush Apex a couple years ago and my mind was blown. For 2 reasons. 1: The Best Profanity was terrible at going upwind and I didn't even know it. 2: The Apex is an amazing board for cranking upwind, boosting, cruising, but put boots on it and its not a far cry from a wake style board.
What's funny is I spent years cursing my crew that I couldn't get upwind as fast as them, but once I jumped on the Apex, it was silly how much more fun I was having cranking upwind, more jumps.
I also ride an Airush Livewire from time to time, which also cranks upwind way better than my old boards, but It hasn't seen a lot of time on the water just because I love the Apex is such an easier ride.
These users thanked the author windrider1 for the post (total 2):
DVPgel (Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:29 am) • Mike101 (Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:48 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:54 am

Blackened wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:32 pm
direnc wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:42 pm
You get spray in the face with the Trax? Trax should be one of the few boards with little to no spray, AFAIK.
Maybe something odd with the size/year you have, or somewhat bad setup. Tried a different stance width, or moving straps forward etc? I can’t stand boards that spray. Should be the single worst flaw a board can have IMO.
I have a 2019 Trax Carbon and it sprays me in the face

unless the footpads are in the perfect spot - and I'm 190cm. It still sprays even when perfectly placed, but into my legs/midsection and not my face (mostly). Great board, flies upwind, perfect amount of grip, and very comfortable for a carbon. Very fragile though. Swapped to an Atmos and got 0 spray every place I move the pads.
I had a Trax found it very average and not as good as the radical. In higher winds I haven’t been able to beat my nobile 50/50. Like the apex that is more wakestyle though.think that’s a great choice with the shotgun I’d actually like one of those. Certainly a cool looking board!

DVPgel
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 80kg
Style: Just for fun. Try to jump high.
Gear: Naish Pivot (2020) 7,9,12
Lieuwe Shotgun (136*40,5) with Slingshot Dually
Ion Radar

Postby DVPgel » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:52 am

windrider1 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:13 am
... Alot of people buy garbage boards just because its cheap or a good deal ...
I almost did the same. I have seen many offers from one dealer on a second hand website I and almost ordered a board. But since the dealer did not give me any clear information about how good or bad the board was and only refer to the customer satisfaction of 87% I did not order there. I also saw many other boards from other "manufacturers", which looked exactly the same except for the branding and the cover. (I suppose that they all come from the same factory in China). It was a carbon board, which should cost 379€ with binding, fins.I really wanted a carbon board but I didn't want to spend too much. Probably it would have come down to "whoever buys cheap buys twice".

My feeling now tells me that I did everything right. Even if it is not a carbonboard. It felt really good when I ordered the board. (When I put the Misfit in the shopping cart it didn't feel very good either, although it's probably a good twintip.) But I have now bought from a dealer who was really very patient with me and also shared a lot of information and experiences. That was almost better than a personal consultation on site. :thumb:
I can hardly wait to hold the shotgun in my hands. Anticipation is also something nice. ;-)
These users thanked the author DVPgel for the post (total 2):
zlatko23 (Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:58 am) • iriejohn (Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 am)
Rating: 6.06%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:36 am

DVPgel wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:52 am
. Even if it is not a carbonboard.
I've had "carbon" boards (which are usually wood with carbon fibre over the top) but didn't like them. For our conditions I find that wooden boards have better damping when in chop which can be pretty unpleasant on the UK South Coast and the North Sea.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:00 am

This depends on the board shape though, my Nomad Wave is awesome in the chop and it’s superlight Carbon. I’m not so sure it makes that much difference anyway as most carbon boards still have a wood core.

andrzej351
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: Slufter, Jastarnia,
Style: Free ride, Big Air
Gear: Naish Pivot, Naish Monarch

Postby andrzej351 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:47 am

I had Wainman Joke, North Jaime, Naish Monarch. Now I have the Lieuwe Shotgun Carbonara and this is the best board ever for me

DVPgel
Rare Poster
Weight: 80kg
Style: Just for fun. Try to jump high.
Gear: Naish Pivot (2020) 7,9,12
Lieuwe Shotgun (136*40,5) with Slingshot Dually
Ion Radar

Postby DVPgel » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:31 pm

And finally the board is here. :-)
I really like the look of it. Also from touching it it feels good. (Not so much after plastic and varnish).
Tomorrow there should be wind. I'm really looking forward to try it directly.
Thanks again to all who supported me here!
Attachments
Lieuwe1.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”