Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot - what's happening? Is there a new designer or what?

Forum for kitesurfers
1rdee
Rare Poster
Gear: pivots 11 + 8; nhp 134.
Brand Affiliation: no

Slingshot - what's happening? Is there a new designer or what?

Postby 1rdee » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:38 pm

Hi guys!
What's happening in the Slingshot in the last years? Any insights? Do they have a new designers or what?

Look:
1. SS now have nice quiver of kites for every discipline. Earlier they had 2 similar 5-strut kites: turbine and rally. Now they have kite for big-air - raptor, all-around 3-strut kite - rallygt and lightwind kite - turbine.
2. SS mow uses the most modern materials, i.e. ripstop 4x.
3. SS finally made a modern bar. I hope they will present it the nearest future, but as we see at the videos of pro-riders, now it doesn't look like a piece of horizontal bar for workouts but looks like a nice kitebar. Old bars were unkillable but not ergonomic - what a shame.
4. I can't believe but in the promo video of rallygt v2 i see that they started to reduce the giant diameter of the leading edge! It's the curse of SS lightwind kites :-))) I hope that the the pressure also will be higher to make kites more stiff.

I hope, all these changes tell us that there is somebody new in the R&D of SS. What's up there? Who are the new designers?

Delta99
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stockholm
Favorite Beaches: Elements El Gouna
Björkäng
Punta Chame
Gålö
Dalarö
Torö
Kovik
Tjurudden
Torhamn
Getskär
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 10-14
Cabrinha Moto 12
Cabrinha Contra 17
Liquid Force Kiteboard Solo 6-9-15.5
Liquid Force Kiteboard P1 8-10-14
Pansh Aurora II 15
Flysurfer Speed4
HQ Montana 14
Flysurfer Cool

Xenon Rayo 145x44
Cabrinha Ace
North Nugget
RL Boards "Door"
Slingshot Simulator + foil wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot - what's happening? Is there a new designer or what?

Postby Delta99 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:57 pm

Yes you are right. And much nicer colours too. I never liked the punk rock black-style. What's going on at SS?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:42 pm

Didn't the previous designer for switch (Bill Hanson?) go there a couple of years back?

Not saying he is the catalyst but it could be a good way of encouraging creativity by having more design experience onboard

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 pm

I suspect the bar change is a financial one since it now is using all the same parts that other kite brands use. Parts will be cheaper due to mass production. There is all so the new ISO standard that they have to be compliant with.

As far as the kites go I don't think there is anything really crazy happening with them. The Rallygt is not new they just redesigned it to fit more of an all around kite. They all ready had the turbine for lightwind. The big changes are really the Ghost, and UFO which is a strong push into the foil side of things. SS has been heavily investing into side of the market. As for the Raptor it just replaces the smaller sizes of the Turbine that they tried using as a big air kite a few years ago.

All so I would say every kite company is making small changes to their kites to help push innovation and reasons for some people to all ways have reason to upgrade. As for the cosmetics of the different SS lines over the years it has been hit or miss for me. I do prefer bright colors that but as a safety precaution in the event I do need to be rescued a bright color will stick out better than white or black against the water. But at the end of the day I care more about how a kite performs than looks.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Slingshot has had a C Fuel, the wave/wake RPM, the surf/foil SST, all-around Rally, beginners’ Z and lightwind Turbine.

With Ghost and UFO they’ve added long awaited expansion of the foiling line, smaller Turbines proven for boosting got replaced by the Raptor. The dull GT was given second chance while “The last of the Mohicans” 2019 Rallys are still in demand and folks are buying Pivots, XRs and Switchblades.

Nice evolution but loss of Rally was a bit tragic while Z somehow survived the purge.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly mostly

Postby Faxie » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:53 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:42 pm
Didn't the previous designer for switch (Bill Hanson?) go there a couple of years back?

Not saying he is the catalyst but it could be a good way of encouraging creativity by having more design experience onboard
He did. The new bridle on the RPM was his work. Don't know what he did after that though, but I can imagine he will add his experience.

Milko0k
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Port Skunkley
Favorite Beaches: SWO
Style: Wet
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Milko0k » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:53 pm

grigorib wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:13 pm
... loss of Rally was a bit tragic while Z somehow survived the purge.
Looking at their site and there is no Z or Fuel :cry:

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/82/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:25 pm

Milko0k wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:53 pm
grigorib wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:13 pm
... loss of Rally was a bit tragic while Z somehow survived the purge.
Looking at their site and there is no Z or Fuel :cry:
The warehouse walls and shelves are not made of anything stretchy :)
These two were candidates to be retired for years yet Z outlasted the Rally for a year

Return to “Kitesurfing”